1962 GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Wow! I can't imagine anyone driving that nice of a car on salted roads. That salt and water gets into places that you can't simply wash out. I know that we used to drive them year round, but they also rusted out in a few years with that usage.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

It was in the middle of March near the Canadian/USA border north of Syracuse, NY...it had snowed the night before and there was another storm approaching from the West.

I had just taken possession of the Hawk from the owner in Ontario, and was just getting under way for an 1100 mile drive back to Iowa.

If you think that picture was scary, you should have seen what it looked like with a quarter-inch of solid ice covering the entire vehicle when I stopped in Iowa City to fuel up. Soon as I hit the Iowa state line, an ice storm started up.....couldn't drive more than 30-35 mph....was lucky to make it home (the Interstate was closed down some minutes after I passed through the area).

The old Stude was a real 'trooper' though, and handled it all in stride and I pulled into town just before the REAL snow storm cut loose.

And I took the Hawk inside the garage and did a thorough washdown, because I know just how invasive that nasty liguid salt is that is being used nowadays.

Would I do that again?.......not on your life! Next time, I'll wait for spring.

Karl '62 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Captain Billy

February 2007 at the Canada - US border coldest day of the year.
      Cleaned up pretty well compared to the post above.
      A story worth telling, Karl.
      Bill
      Heh, heh,......'what goes on in Canada, stays in Canada'.

Nice to hear from you Bill. How's the wagonairre coming along?

Karl '62 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Captain Billy

February 2007 at the Canada - US border coldest day of the year.
        Cleaned up pretty well compared to the post above.
        A story worth telling, Karl.
        Bill
        Heh, heh,......'what goes on in Canada, stays in Canada'.

Nice to hear from you Bill. How's the wagonairre coming along?

Karl '62 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55s

Karl's car is a very nice 1962 GT. The tall clear spears appear to be there. The wheels may be right, because I think it is a Hamilton-built Canadian car, having come from a good Canadian home.

In short, Karl, if you can, take another picture. Alternatively, see if you can erase the extra hood ornament.

I think some people in this column are getting far too picky for a Studebaker DRIVERS' club.

To the others - enjoy your lawn ornaments.

Paul R
          I know the hood ornament isn't supposed to be there on a '62, but it was already there when I bought it....and it looks GOOD on there too. Yes, I know the wheels should be "offwhite" instead of black....but that was the way they were also when I bought it, and it does actually look better with black wheels. But the clear plastic front spears ARE there....just hard to see in that pic.

I know the guy asked for a "stock" '62 Hawk....but, except for the concourse-minded individuals, for all practical purposes, the GT IS original.

Here are a couple different angles, that are, shall I say, a little less controversial:

Here are TWO nearly identical '62 GT Hawks at the Goodguys event held in Des Moines, Ia July of '07. Mine on the right and '41 Frank's on the left.

Just trying to help out, that's all.
          Karl

`

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 55s

Karl's car is a very nice 1962 GT. The tall clear spears appear to be there. The wheels may be right, because I think it is a Hamilton-built Canadian car, having come from a good Canadian home.

In short, Karl, if you can, take another picture. Alternatively, see if you can erase the extra hood ornament.

I think some people in this column are getting far too picky for a Studebaker DRIVERS' club.

To the others - enjoy your lawn ornaments.

Paul R
            I know the hood ornament isn't supposed to be there on a '62, but it was already there when I bought it....and it looks GOOD on there too. Yes, I know the wheels should be "offwhite" instead of black....but that was the way they were also when I bought it, and it does actually look better with black wheels. But the clear plastic front spears ARE there....just hard to see in that pic.

I know the guy asked for a "stock" '62 Hawk....but, except for the concourse-minded individuals, for all practical purposes, the GT IS original.

Here are a couple different angles, that are, shall I say, a little less controversial:

Here are TWO nearly identical '62 GT Hawks at the Goodguys event held in Des Moines, Ia July of '07. Mine on the right and '41 Frank's on the left.

Just trying to help out, that's all.
            Karl

`

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MagikDraggin
              That salt and water gets into places that you can't simply wash out.

It was in the middle of March near the Canadian/USA border north of Syracuse, NY...it had snowed the night before and there was another storm approaching from the West.
              Yep, if it was me, and the seller absolutely had to have it out by mid-March, I'd have paid for a bay in a local U-store-it for a month just to keep it out of the salt. Like Gary said, that salt gets into places like down your window channels, etc., almost impossible to wash away.

Craig

Comment

Yep, if it was me, and the seller absolutely had to have it out by mid-March, I'd have paid for a bay in a local U-store-it for a month just to keep it out of the salt. Like Gary said, that salt gets into places like down your window channels, etc., almost impossible to wash away.

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Craig
                  Can't fault the seller there.....he was very insistent that I either wait until spring or have it trailered back to Iowa.

I was the silly dummy that felt cocky enough to make it back.....and I DID, barely, by the hair on my chinny chin chin.

The weatherman assured me (hahahaha) that there was a 5 day window where there would be no precipitation and temps would be up in the mid to upper 40's.

Yeah, sure.....the weatherman is always right, huh?

Karl '62 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Craig
                    Can't fault the seller there.....he was very insistent that I either wait until spring or have it trailered back to Iowa.

I was the silly dummy that felt cocky enough to make it back.....and I DID, barely, by the hair on my chinny chin chin.

The weatherman assured me (hahahaha) that there was a 5 day window where there would be no precipitation and temps would be up in the mid to upper 40's.

Yeah, sure.....the weatherman is always right, huh?

Karl '62 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

Karl:

I have seen, and also have had the pleasure of riding in your car, and I believe it is very original, excluding the hood ornament, and the colour of the wheels.

It is very likely that if you temporarily removed it (the hood ornament) for a picture, the holes would not show.

It looks like Art is looking for a perfect picture.

Paul R.

P.S.: If you look closely at my red 1963 GT Hawk which was on the cover a few months ago with several others at Graeme Hill's wedding, you may notice the chrome reverse rims under the stock Studebaker hubcaps.

Comment

Karl:

I have seen, and also have had the pleasure of riding in your car, and I believe it is very original, excluding the hood ornament, and the colour of the wheels.

It is very likely that if you temporarily removed it (the hood ornament) for a picture, the holes would not show.

It looks like Art is looking for a perfect picture.

Paul R.

P.S.: If you look closely at my red 1963 GT Hawk which was on the cover a few months ago with several others at Graeme Hill's wedding, you may notice the chrome reverse rims under the stock Studebaker hubcaps.

Comment

And his rear view mirror is stock? Mine is stock? Can both be stock?
                          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

"Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

I don't rightly know what the 'stock' mirror is supposed to look like......but if the one in my Hawk is NOT stock, had it been me changing it, I would've at least put a day-nite mirror in there and not what's there now.

Karl '62 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

I don't rightly know what the 'stock' mirror is supposed to look like......but if the one in my Hawk is NOT stock, had it been me changing it, I would've at least put a day-nite mirror in there and not what's there now.

Karl '62 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

Working...
                                X