No announcement yet.

1962 GT Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong wheel color, and a '64 Hood Ornament, otherwise original looking.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Wrong wheel color, and a '64 Hood Ornament, otherwise original looking.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

This black GT pictured is a nice car BUT it should have no hood ornament and the photo background is cluttered.
        We can use EITHER a South Bend or Hamilton produced GT.

Comment

This black GT pictured is a nice car BUT it should have no hood ornament and the photo background is cluttered.
          We can use EITHER a South Bend or Hamilton produced GT.

Comment

Karl's car is a very nice 1962 GT. The tall clear spears appear to be there. The wheels may be right, because I think it is a Hamilton-built Canadian car, having come from a good Canadian home.

In short, Karl, if you can, take another picture. Alternatively, see if you can erase the extra hood ornament.

I think some people in this column are getting far too picky for a Studebaker DRIVERS' club.

To the others - enjoy your lawn ornaments.

Paul R

Comment

Karl's car is a very nice 1962 GT. The tall clear spears appear to be there. The wheels may be right, because I think it is a Hamilton-built Canadian car, having come from a good Canadian home.

In short, Karl, if you can, take another picture. Alternatively, see if you can erase the extra hood ornament.

I think some people in this column are getting far too picky for a Studebaker DRIVERS' club.

To the others - enjoy your lawn ornaments.

Paul R

Comment

Maybe they're picky Paul, but if the requirement is for a 1962 "original" Hawk then that's what's required - I can just imagine the letters to TW stating that the hood ornament and wheel covers aren't original.

John Clements
                Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                Lockleys South Australia
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Maybe they're picky Paul, but if the requirement is for a 1962 "original" Hawk then that's what's required - I can just imagine the letters to TW stating that the hood ornament and wheel covers aren't original.

John Clements
                  Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
                  Lockleys South Australia
                  John Clements
                  Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

February 2007 at the Canada - US border coldest day of the year.
                    Cleaned up pretty well compared to the post above.
                    A story worth telling, Karl.
                    Bill
                    [img][IMG]
                    Bill Foy
                    1000 Islands, Ontario
                    1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

February 2007 at the Canada - US border coldest day of the year.
                      Cleaned up pretty well compared to the post above.
                      A story worth telling, Karl.
                      Bill
                      [img][IMG]
                      Bill Foy
                      1000 Islands, Ontario
                      1953 Starlight Coupe

Comment

I notice that Karl's 62 and mine have different rear-view mirrors. I'm sure mine is original, but I have seen the more rectangular one for sale as a replacement. Does anyone know if one is more correct than the other or were they both used at the factory? I would love to get a new mirror for mine, but I want it to be correct. I believe mine is the same used in earlier Hawks also.
                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I notice that Karl's 62 and mine have different rear-view mirrors. I'm sure mine is original, but I have seen the more rectangular one for sale as a replacement. Does anyone know if one is more correct than the other or were they both used at the factory? I would love to get a new mirror for mine, but I want it to be correct. I believe mine is the same used in earlier Hawks also.
                          "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Wow! I can't imagine anyone driving that nice of a car on salted roads. That salt and water gets into places that you can't simply wash out. I know that we used to drive them year round, but they also rusted out in a few years with that usage.

Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Wow! I can't imagine anyone driving that nice of a car on salted roads. That salt and water gets into places that you can't simply wash out. I know that we used to drive them year round, but they also rusted out in a few years with that usage.

Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

It was in the middle of March near the Canadian/USA border north of Syracuse, NY...it had snowed the night before and there was another storm approaching from the West.

I had just taken possession of the Hawk from the owner in Ontario, and was just getting under way for an 1100 mile drive back to Iowa.

If you think that picture was scary, you should have seen what it looked like with a quarter-inch of solid ice covering the entire vehicle when I stopped in Iowa City to fuel up. Soon as I hit the Iowa state line, an ice storm started up.....couldn't drive more than 30-35 mph....was lucky to make it home (the Interstate was closed down some minutes after I passed through the area).

The old Stude was a real 'trooper' though, and handled it all in stride and I pulled into town just before the REAL snow storm cut loose.

And I took the Hawk inside the garage and did a thorough washdown, because I know just how invasive that nasty liguid salt is that is being used nowadays.

Would I do that again?.......not on your life! Next time, I'll wait for spring.

Karl '62 GT Hawk 4sp

Comment

Working...
                                X