'63 Saginal steering box 4 sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63 Saginal steering box 4 sale

I dismantled a '63 6 cyl sedan and don't need the steering stuff. Anyone want it? Have the cyl head, too.

A '63 Lark Saginaw steering gear is a re-circulating ball, manual gear, power and std. 6 & V-8 are the same, except sliding roof Wagonaires.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Is it a manuel or power steering?

Comment

I would be interested. I am looking to replace the steering in my 54 coupe with a manual saginaw. I have recieved information on adapting Lark saginaw to the coupe. The forum members indicate that the Lark saginaw box is superior to the earlier ones.

Are the parts (pitman arm, reach rod) in good condition? Would you also include the column and column jacket?

Dave Martin

Comment

What years of Lark used the Saginaw box, and for those years were any other boxes supplied?

Looking for the right box to adapt to my 54 K.

DaveMartin

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DaveMartin

What years of Lark used the Saginaw box, and for those years were any other boxes supplied?
            Looking for the right box to adapt to my 54 K.DaveMartin
            Those were the BEST boxes, however they are for SEDANS only! The C and K is a completely different ANGLE because of lower body & dash. So that would require some modifications to use, like an adapter plate to the frame and you have to lose the steering column jacket and steering wheel and go with late type horn and turn signal switches. Then there is the shaft length, too short.

A '56-'64 Hawk gear will work OK with the correct pitman arm and reach rod, but you are back to a Ross cam & sector gear again.

The recirculating ball Saginaw gear was used only in Larks and Lark Types, 1961 to 1966. Power & non-power are all the same, you replace the reach rod with the Ford/Studebaker type Bendix Control Valve and P/S Bellcrank to add Power, very easy! [^]

StudeRich
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Thanks StudeRich. I have the drawings to adapt a saginaw to a C/K. My car's previous owner has the column all cobbled up anyway, so work to do there.

Where is the best place to seek one of these boxes? I did an online search with one of the parts finders and they found one in a CA junkyard from a 64 Lark; not sure I trust them. Price is $279, is that a reasonable price?

DaveMartin

Comment

Working...
              X