• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vapor lock (Very long)

[b]

Your story is way better than mine...
    It started like this....

I had three girls in my Studebaker........

(Mine was fiction, though.)
    Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It started like this....

Jeff[8D]

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

It started like this....

Jeff[8D]

Actually, I [u]probably</u> "had" more than 3 in mine. (When you get old...things tend to fade....and that's NOT fiction!) That bloomin' fold-down arm rest got in the way sometimes or there might have been more. One of my friends had named it "Mayflower" because, he said, so many "Puritans" came across in it. (What does this have to do with "vapor lock", the original thread?)

The arm rest folded down because I'd replaced the original with the one from the '55 from whence came the wire wheel covers.

John

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK

It started like this....

Jeff[8D]

Actually, I [u]probably</u> "had" more than 3 in mine. (When you get old...things tend to fade....and that's NOT fiction!) That bloomin' fold-down arm rest got in the way sometimes or there might have been more. One of my friends had named it "Mayflower" because, he said, so many "Puritans" came across in it. (What does this have to do with "vapor lock", the original thread?)

The arm rest folded down because I'd replaced the original with the one from the '55 from whence came the wire wheel covers.

John

Comment

My father owns a car exactly like that. A Yellow and black 1954 hardtop. It's sitting in a quonset in Minnesota. I wonder if it's the same car.
            "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

My father owns a car exactly like that. A Yellow and black 1954 hardtop. It's sitting in a quonset in Minnesota. I wonder if it's the same car.
              "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

I've never been to your quonset hut. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Actually I got this pic from Automobile Quarterly, 3rd quarter, 1972, the one with the Conestoga and the '53 K on the cover. I was mesmerized by the picture when I saw it and saved it.

While it served me well once I had the vapor lock fixed (seem to recall I also replaced the rod that operated the fuel pump) it eventually burned out a bearing and was towed away by the Dallas Police Department because I had "stored" it on a school parking lot. It was eventually sold at auction. But with a bad bearing and rusty rocker panels, I'll bet it didn't bring $50 in 1959.

John

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

I've never been to your quonset hut. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Actually I got this pic from Automobile Quarterly, 3rd quarter, 1972, the one with the Conestoga and the '53 K on the cover. I was mesmerized by the picture when I saw it and saved it.

While it served me well once I had the vapor lock fixed (seem to recall I also replaced the rod that operated the fuel pump) it eventually burned out a bearing and was towed away by the Dallas Police Department because I had "stored" it on a school parking lot. It was eventually sold at auction. But with a bad bearing and rusty rocker panels, I'll bet it didn't bring $50 in 1959.

John

Comment

Never had a problem with the armrest...
                    But there was an 'incident' at the drive-in theater[:0]...
                    Something to do with the fire extinguisher that was between the front bucket seats on the '61 Hawk...(Was it vapor lock? Dunno..)
                    (Had to clean up two messes the next morning[}])
                    Jeff[8D]

quote:Actually, I [u]probably</u> "had" more than 3 in mine. (When you get old...things tend to fade....and that's NOT fiction!) That bloomin' fold-down arm rest got in the way sometimes or there might have been more. One of my friends had named it "Mayflower" because, he said, so many "Puritans" came across in it. (What does this have to do with "vapor lock", the original thread?)
                    John[/font=Comic Sans MS][/size=3][/blue]

Jeff

Comment

Never had a problem with the armrest...
                      But there was an 'incident' at the drive-in theater[:0]...
                      Something to do with the fire extinguisher that was between the front bucket seats on the '61 Hawk...(Was it vapor lock? Dunno..)
                      (Had to clean up two messes the next morning[}])
                      Jeff[8D]

quote:Actually, I [u]probably</u> "had" more than 3 in mine. (When you get old...things tend to fade....and that's NOT fiction!) That bloomin' fold-down arm rest got in the way sometimes or there might have been more. One of my friends had named it "Mayflower" because, he said, so many "Puritans" came across in it. (What does this have to do with "vapor lock", the original thread?)
                      John[/font=Comic Sans MS][/size=3][/blue]

Jeff

Comment

Great story. I have the '53 below and having plenty of vapor lock problems of my own. I'm at the point of installing a electric fuel pump.

Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO
                        President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                        Gary Sanders
                        Nixa, MO

Comment

Great story. I have the '53 below and having plenty of vapor lock problems of my own. I'm at the point of installing a electric fuel pump.

Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO
                          President Toy Studebaker Collectors Club. Have an interest in Toy Studebakers? Contact me for details.
                          Gary Sanders
                          Nixa, MO

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

Probably the best idea but I understand you lose points in a show for doing it. Just put it back by the gas tank in an inconspicuous place and have a switch under the dash. I only use the one on my '54 LC to start it, then turn it off unless needed. And frankly, I have no vapor lock problems with that one. Probably because the engine is a '64 and the fuel pump is...well, you know where...

John

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Gary1953

Probably the best idea but I understand you lose points in a show for doing it. Just put it back by the gas tank in an inconspicuous place and have a switch under the dash. I only use the one on my '54 LC to start it, then turn it off unless needed. And frankly, I have no vapor lock problems with that one. Probably because the engine is a '64 and the fuel pump is...well, you know where...

John

Comment

Working...
                              X