• Show
Clear All

• One Horsepower Studebaker Wicker Cart

Hi
    Here's one for the horsedrawn folks.

http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/clt/461823078.html

Sweet little buggy!!!

Steve

I sent a note about this to Guido. Never heard if he looked into it. It might be a nice find for the museum.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I sent a note about this to Guido. Never heard if he looked into it. It might be a nice find for the museum.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Carroll Studebaker had a Studebaker wicker goat cart or pony cart at Gettysburg in 1980. It was previously owned by Dwight Eisenhower, who retired to his farm in Gettysburg after his Presidency. I would post a picture but I can't scan my 60mm slides.

Brad Johnson
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10,
        '51 Commander Starlight,
        '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
        '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Carroll Studebaker had a Studebaker wicker goat cart or pony cart at Gettysburg in 1980. It was previously owned by Dwight Eisenhower, who retired to his farm in Gettysburg after his Presidency. I would post a picture but I can't scan my 60mm slides.

Brad Johnson
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight
          "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10,
          '51 Commander Starlight,
          '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
          '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

I sent a note about this to Guido.
            Scott,

I have been meaning to e-mail you back. This is the second wicker example that I have seen. A bit pricey for my tastes plus I would need to get it back to Virginia. Thanks for the head's up though.

Gary

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Scott

I sent a note about this to Guido.
              Scott,

I have been meaning to e-mail you back. This is the second wicker example that I have seen. A bit pricey for my tastes plus I would need to get it back to Virginia. Thanks for the head's up though.

Gary

Comment

This kind of vehicle is called a Sailor's wagon. They were named such because of the popularity amoungst the livery stables in port cities. They were typically pulled by large ponies or cobs. This made them a sporty, inexpensive, and speedy vehicle. Small light and fast they were popular with the sailors. As a restored vehicle it's an excellent example. Because of the wooden construction, especially the wheels and chassis, there's a tremendous amount of hand work, thus expense in restoration. So the price seems just about in line with the vehicle, though a bit on the high side.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                Lotsa Larks!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

This kind of vehicle is called a Sailor's wagon. They were named such because of the popularity amoungst the livery stables in port cities. They were typically pulled by large ponies or cobs. This made them a sporty, inexpensive, and speedy vehicle. Small light and fast they were popular with the sailors. As a restored vehicle it's an excellent example. Because of the wooden construction, especially the wheels and chassis, there's a tremendous amount of hand work, thus expense in restoration. So the price seems just about in line with the vehicle, though a bit on the high side.

Lotsa Larks!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                  X