Drove a Studebaker today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drove a Studebaker today.

Weird day here in central Alberta today. Wind howling out of the south, and temperature well above freezing, and dark overcast, too. Now that the wind's gone done a bit, it's quite pleasant out, considering it's November. Ground is still bare and dry.

Yesterday, I pulled the carburetor out of a '47 M16 truck I have here, and today I tore the carb down and made some repairs. First problem was the hole in the bowl where the fuel float valve screws in; it was stripped right out. I tapped it out with a 1/4" pipe tap, running the tap almost all the way through. Then I found some old brass fitting with a 1/4" male pipe thread on it, and drilled it right through with a 3/8" drill, and tapped for 7/16-20 fine thread, which matches the thread on the float valve body. Wound up with a very thin-walled brass sleeve, but it worked perfectly, allowing me to thread the float valve solidly into place. A little red Loctite helped, too.

The accelerator pump was shot, too, and I was able to rob the pump plunger from an old Carter WO carb I had on the shelf. Both plungers were made of flat strip stock, but differed in length and how they connect to the linkage. I hacksawed through both at the proper place, and butt-welded the two pieces I wanted together with the MIG. I had a little cup of water to dip the leather plunger into so it didn't get scorched by the heat.

I also had to weld up a rust pinhole in the oil reservoir of the oil bath air filter.

With all that done, I reinstalled the carb on the engine, and with a spot of priming, it fired right up. Doesn't want to idle real well cold, but I warmed it up by taking an orbit around the yard in second gear, and then it idled OK. Not wonderful, just OK. Engine wants a tuneup, and a muffler might help, too. Starts readily now.

I also ripped down the sagging headliner full of mouse detritus, and vacuumed as much crap out of the cab as I could. Pretty solid cab on this one, but the all the soft parts are toast. Brakes are down, but they might come up, as they were in use a couple of years ago. I get one cab-roof clearance light, and one parking light when I turn the light switch, oh yeah, instrument lights, too.

Now I need to find a key for it.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Way to go, MacGyver [^]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Way to go, MacGyver [^]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Follow this link to check out all the exploits of TV's most famous jack of all trades.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ed_by_MacGyver

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Follow this link to check out all the exploits of TV's most famous jack of all trades.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ed_by_MacGyver

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

Comment

Got a bit more done on this truck today, as the weather continued fair. Aired up all the tires, and filled the master cylinder with brake fluid. No pedal, though. Maybe some air will work its way out overnight, heh. Got to looking at the panel that contains the hood latch, and realized it was all cracked to pieces, and in fact had a car-type hood latch plate scabbed in there, and NOTHING was really holding the doghouse to the radiator support. The truck lacked a center grille section as well. Since I have a much better M-truck doghouse sitting in the bushes, I figured: might as well change it, eh? So, as of now, I have the left front fender off, as well as the left half of the doghouse. Plan is to remove the remaining half of the doghouse, and mix and match the best parts from this doghouse (namely the side grille panels) with the doghouse from the treeline, and then mount the completed doghouse back on the truck, along with another, better, hood.

And I found the right ignition key too, woo-hoo!

Comment

Got a bit more done on this truck today, as the weather continued fair. Aired up all the tires, and filled the master cylinder with brake fluid. No pedal, though. Maybe some air will work its way out overnight, heh. Got to looking at the panel that contains the hood latch, and realized it was all cracked to pieces, and in fact had a car-type hood latch plate scabbed in there, and NOTHING was really holding the doghouse to the radiator support. The truck lacked a center grille section as well. Since I have a much better M-truck doghouse sitting in the bushes, I figured: might as well change it, eh? So, as of now, I have the left front fender off, as well as the left half of the doghouse. Plan is to remove the remaining half of the doghouse, and mix and match the best parts from this doghouse (namely the side grille panels) with the doghouse from the treeline, and then mount the completed doghouse back on the truck, along with another, better, hood.

And I found the right ignition key too, woo-hoo!

Comment

You want to come south to some warm weather and work on my stuff?

Comment

You want to come south to some warm weather and work on my stuff?

Comment

Really, Gary, the weather here is darn fine for November. Dry, above freezing, a lot less windy today. I was able to work outside for four hours with only a fleece sweatshirt over my indoor clothes.

Comment

Really, Gary, the weather here is darn fine for November. Dry, above freezing, a lot less windy today. I was able to work outside for four hours with only a fleece sweatshirt over my indoor clothes.

Comment

Gord,
                        You're amazing. And I don't say that casually.

I drove a Stude yesterday too. Took Pete into town on errands. He's always willing. And while he caused me no problems as is normally the case, the trip was a bit different in another respect.
                        First, a gal approached Pete 'n me in a parking lot. "Seen your truck on the internet! 'course, I've seen it around town for years. I sure like the looks of that thing!"
                        "Thank you!" I shot back. Wait a minute... on the INTERNET?
                        Well, she was in her car and leaving at that point, but I have a fair idea where she's seen Pete on the net.[^]

Next stop was at a local feed store. I needed some dove food for my clan of Ringneck doves. I go in and get some dove mix and some safflower, pay for it and head back out to Pete. The fella that owns the place sticks his head out the door as I'm stashing the bags in the bed. "Say - what year is that Studebaker? Man, that thing sure is neat!" I answer his question and a couple more before I get away.

Last stop of the day was the supermarket. I needed some Italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese to make Eggplant Parmesan.
                        I get out, reach thru the vent window and flip the inside handle up to lock Pete up (too lazy to use the keys), and as I do so a guy on a bike whizzes by and shouts:"I sure like seein' that truck of yours. It's cool!"
                        I thank him as I head in to shop.
                        Coming back out with my groceries, there's several Mexican gals walking into the parking lot with their little grocery toter cart in tow.
                        I unlock Pete, put the few items I have in the front corner of the bed and start to get into the cab. It's only then that I realize the oldest of this quartet of women is coming towards me. I figured she was gonna hit me up for some pocket change (a common occurrance in this particular parking lot).
                        But with heavily accented, broken english, she manages: "My daughter an' I want to tell you how much we like your Studebaker. eets very purty we teenk."
                        And so it goes with Pete 'n me.

BTW, the wife said she was giving me an A+ for my Eggplant Paresan after she went back for seconds.[]

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Gord,
                          You're amazing. And I don't say that casually.

I drove a Stude yesterday too. Took Pete into town on errands. He's always willing. And while he caused me no problems as is normally the case, the trip was a bit different in another respect.
                          First, a gal approached Pete 'n me in a parking lot. "Seen your truck on the internet! 'course, I've seen it around town for years. I sure like the looks of that thing!"
                          "Thank you!" I shot back. Wait a minute... on the INTERNET?
                          Well, she was in her car and leaving at that point, but I have a fair idea where she's seen Pete on the net.[^]

Next stop was at a local feed store. I needed some dove food for my clan of Ringneck doves. I go in and get some dove mix and some safflower, pay for it and head back out to Pete. The fella that owns the place sticks his head out the door as I'm stashing the bags in the bed. "Say - what year is that Studebaker? Man, that thing sure is neat!" I answer his question and a couple more before I get away.

Last stop of the day was the supermarket. I needed some Italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese to make Eggplant Parmesan.
                          I get out, reach thru the vent window and flip the inside handle up to lock Pete up (too lazy to use the keys), and as I do so a guy on a bike whizzes by and shouts:"I sure like seein' that truck of yours. It's cool!"
                          I thank him as I head in to shop.
                          Coming back out with my groceries, there's several Mexican gals walking into the parking lot with their little grocery toter cart in tow.
                          I unlock Pete, put the few items I have in the front corner of the bed and start to get into the cab. It's only then that I realize the oldest of this quartet of women is coming towards me. I figured she was gonna hit me up for some pocket change (a common occurrance in this particular parking lot).
                          But with heavily accented, broken english, she manages: "My daughter an' I want to tell you how much we like your Studebaker. eets very purty we teenk."
                          And so it goes with Pete 'n me.

BTW, the wife said she was giving me an A+ for my Eggplant Paresan after she went back for seconds.[]

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mmm, eggplant Parmesan. Sounds good.

Pete is a real eyecatcher, for sure. One of these days I'll have to get a Stude set up for daily driver use again.

Comment

Mmm, eggplant Parmesan. Sounds good.

Pete is a real eyecatcher, for sure. One of these days I'll have to get a Stude set up for daily driver use again.

Comment

Working...
                              X