No announcement yet.

Drove a Studebaker today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uh-oh, Winter is coming, there is a distinct chill in the air today. Thermometer struggled to get over the freezing point. Still no wind, and tolerable working in the sunshine. We have had a real fine November so far, so that knocks a big chunk off the length of Winter, hopefully.

I didn't work on the M-16 today, although I did start it up and move it to allow my tractor access to an engine I had to lift. I spent some time bead-blasting a '40 Champion brake drum for a Forum member in Minnesota. It cleaned up pretty well.

Then I was faced with a 259 sitting in the back of the little Toyota pickup, and an engine stand with a 259 block on it, with pistons seized in all 8 bores. I decided to sacrifice the pistons, as chances are they would be unsalvageable anyway. Knocked them all out with a 2 lb hammer and a length of steel rod. Broke every piston, but got them all out. Most of the rods can be salvaged, I think. Also got the camshaft out in one piece. Should ship that to Phil Harris and get an R-2+ cam made.

Got the stripped block off the engine stand, and set it aside. Maybe one day I'll send it in to a machine shop for hot tanking and see if it can be salvaged. Might be a good candidate for a big overbore; it's a '58 block.

Got the bellhousing and clutch off the engine on the truck bed, and removed the distributor and throttle linkage, too. I had this one "almost" running, but it couldn't quite keep going. It did fire on most cylinders while cranking on the starter. Did develop oil pressure, though. I plan to give this one a quicky freshening-up, and spend as little money as possible. I'll keep a record of what goes into it. It's a '63 or '64 259 which had a T86 overdrive on it. Bought the whole thing for a hundred bucks.

When I removed the pressure plate, the clutch disc came off in two pieces: the thin spring steel matrix that the friction rings were riveted to had rusted right away. Too bad, there was plenty of "meat" on the friction rings, too. I have a photo of this, under the name RustNeverSleeps.

I used the loader on my International tractor to hoist this engine off the truck bed and hang it while I attached the engine stand. Then I set it down on the shop apron, and pushed it indoors. So, as of now, I don't have anything outside that will really suffer badly when the snow comes.

Pictures at: <http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/b...dintrochu/>

There is also a picture of the carcass of the Weasel I parted out, looking like some strange fossil arthropod from the Burgess Shale. And a couple of pics of the M-16 happily idling away, with its one headlight glimming away, as well as one clearance light. The close-up pic of the engine has an interesting effect; you can see a ghostly image of one of the fan blades in front of the belt, just where it comes off the water pump pulley. The engine was running when I took the shot.

That M-16 would be a good candidate for a Rustoleum paintjob like Guido did on his fire truck.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr
      That M-16 would be a good candidate for a Rustoleum paintjob like Guido did on his fire truck.
      The key is a thin nap or foam roller.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by gordr
        The key is a thin nap or foam roller.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Working...
        X