Another Abraham Lincoln/Studebaker connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Abraham Lincoln/Studebaker connection

I don't know if this has ever been brought up before, but even if it has, it's a good history lesson.

As everyone is probably aware, the bicentennial of Abraham Lincoln's birth is approaching (just a little more than a year away). A lot of special events are going to be taking place, but there is one thing that might not get mentioned in all of the hubbub.

Abe was born near what is now Hodgenville, Kentucky, but his formative years were spent in Spencer County, Indiana, just about 35 miles as the crow flies from my home. As some of you may know, Abe's mother, Nancy Hanks Lincoln, died while the family lived in Spencer County. She is buried in a small pioneer cemetery located within what is now the Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial.

What is not often publicized these days is that Nancy Hanks Lincoln's grave was unmarked for many years following her death. Word of this travesty reached one Clement Studebaker in 1879 and it is said that he paid for the tombstone that is now on her grave.

Somewhere around here I have the supporting documentation for this, but I'll be darned if it hasn't managed to disappear into some drawer or box of papers. Grrr ...

Regardless, here's another Studebaker connection to history. If you're interested, let me know and I can tell you more about the Boyhood Memorial, which has a living historical farm and the Lincoln home site. Very interesting for all who have an interest in Lincoln lore, and it's located in some beautiful country. Of course, like our 16th President, I can say of Spencer County, "Here I grew up," so maybe I'm a little biased on the natural beauty of the area.
    Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Lincoln ancestors were actually from the upper Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

Comment

Lincoln ancestors were actually from the upper Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

Comment

It was Peter Studebaker that did it. Story is here:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/libo/the_...gravesite3.htm

Kevin Wolford
        Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
        60 Lark VI Conv.
        63 Avanti R1

Comment

It was Peter Studebaker that did it. Story is here:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/libo/the_...gravesite3.htm

Kevin Wolford
          Plymouth, IN

55 Champion
          60 Lark VI Conv.
          63 Avanti R1

Comment

Well, dip me in hot buttered ... somethin' or other ... !

I'll have to throw out that OLD and obviously incorrect Indiana History textbook that reminded me to post this originally! I dug through my papers from the "old days" when I worked for the newspaper. Among those papers I FINALLY found the media kit that the Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial used to give out to those of us in the press. And, sure 'nuff, it was Peter.

Thanks for the correction, Kevin. I appreciate it ... even if I ended up with a bit of egg on my face!

Comment

Well, dip me in hot buttered ... somethin' or other ... !

I'll have to throw out that OLD and obviously incorrect Indiana History textbook that reminded me to post this originally! I dug through my papers from the "old days" when I worked for the newspaper. Among those papers I FINALLY found the media kit that the Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial used to give out to those of us in the press. And, sure 'nuff, it was Peter.

Thanks for the correction, Kevin. I appreciate it ... even if I ended up with a bit of egg on my face!

Comment

Kevin thanks for posting the article. It is true that Peter 4th son of John Clement Studebaker and Chief early salesman for the wagon company did indeed put the monument on Nancy Hanks Lincoln's grave. It is mentioned in the Studebaker Family Association's three volume set of family history.

While we are on the subject of early Studebaker history I am currently researching the involvement of Clement Jr. son of Clement who came to this country on 09/01/1736 and his roll in the development of the first truck, The Conestoga Wagon. It appears since they were blacksmiths and living in the Lancaster County PA area they were building wagons. It is known that Clement Jr. was building wagons as early as 1780 or so. Stay tuned.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Kevin thanks for posting the article. It is true that Peter 4th son of John Clement Studebaker and Chief early salesman for the wagon company did indeed put the monument on Nancy Hanks Lincoln's grave. It is mentioned in the Studebaker Family Association's three volume set of family history.

While we are on the subject of early Studebaker history I am currently researching the involvement of Clement Jr. son of Clement who came to this country on 09/01/1736 and his roll in the development of the first truck, The Conestoga Wagon. It appears since they were blacksmiths and living in the Lancaster County PA area they were building wagons. It is known that Clement Jr. was building wagons as early as 1780 or so. Stay tuned.

See you in the future as I write about our past
                  sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                  X