• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This probably wouldn't work on a Studebaker OT

I found this on the web:

http://kitsapsun.com/news/2007/nov/1...oosen-lug-nut/

Man Hurts Himself Trying to Loosen Lug Nut -- With a Shotgun
    SOUTH KITSAP

A 66-year-old man shot himself in both his legs Saturday afternoon while trying to loosen a stubborn lug nut with a 12-gauge shotgun.

Kitsap County sheriff's deputies were called to the residence on the 10800 block of SE Olympiad Drive at 2:57 p.m. after the shooting was reported to 911 emergency dispatchers, said Deputy Scott Wilson, a sheriff's office spokesman.

"Nobody else was there and he wasn't intoxicated," Wilson said.

South Kitsap Fire and Rescue medics treated the man at the scene. He was taken to Tacoma General Hospital. Wilson said his injuries were "severe but not life-threatening."

Deputies at the scene reported the man blasted "double-ought" buckshot at the wheel from "arm's length," Wilson said.

The deputies described the man's legs as "peppered" from his feet to his mid-abdomen with pellets, pieces of the wheel and other debris. Some injuries went as far up as his chin.

The man had been repairing the Lincoln Continental for two weeks, and had removed all the lug nuts on the right rear wheel except for one.

"He's bound and determined to get that lug nut off," Wilson said, who did not know how long the man had been trying to free the lug nut.

The deputies did not take a statement from the man beyond what they were able to gather while he was being treated by medics.

"I don't think he was in any condition to say anything," Wilson said. "The pain was so severe, and the shock."

Mark Anderson
    1965 Cruiser
    http://home.alltel.net/anderm
    Home of the Cruiser Registry

Right, Mark; this would be harder to do on a Studebaker. The Lincoln probably had 13/16" lug nuts, giving him a larger target than the 3/4" lug nuts on a Studebaker. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Right, Mark; this would be harder to do on a Studebaker. The Lincoln probably had 13/16" lug nuts, giving him a larger target than the 3/4" lug nuts on a Studebaker. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser
        The deputies described the man's legs as "peppered" from his feet to his mid-abdomen with pellets, pieces of the wheel and other debris.
        Interesting approach... I wonder what he thought the shotgun blast would accomplish? [?] However, I have now learned that one's legs stretch from their feet to "mid abdomen". [B)] Wonder what editor approved that???? [}]

Comment

The deputies described the man's legs as "peppered" from his feet to his mid-abdomen with pellets, pieces of the wheel and other debris.
          Interesting approach... I wonder what he thought the shotgun blast would accomplish? [?] However, I have now learned that one's legs stretch from their feet to "mid abdomen". [B)] Wonder what editor approved that???? [}]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido

Comment

Maybe he was so PO'd at the final lug nut that he thought he'd teach it a lesson. Guess who go schooled that day.

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser

Comment

Maybe he was so PO'd at the final lug nut that he thought he'd teach it a lesson. Guess who go schooled that day.

Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Editor of "The Down Easterner"
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser

Comment

Have never any of you been mad enough at something to make you do something stupid and foolish?
                    I don't condone it, but I understand it.
                    JF

SOUTH KITSAP
                    Mark Anderson
                    1965 Cruiser

Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Have never any of you been mad enough at something to make you do something stupid and foolish?
                      I don't condone it, but I understand it.
                      JF

SOUTH KITSAP
                      Mark Anderson
                      1965 Cruiser

Jerry Forrester
                      Forrester's Chrome
                      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

In a previous post,Shay was asking what tools would be needed to outfit a potential garage her father would be building. I would say - 12 gauge Shotgun would probably not be among those needed!

55 Commander
                        58 Transtar
                        62 GT Hawk
                        66 Cruiser

Comment

In a previous post,Shay was asking what tools would be needed to outfit a potential garage her father would be building. I would say - 12 gauge Shotgun would probably not be among those needed!

55 Commander
                          58 Transtar
                          62 GT Hawk
                          66 Cruiser

Comment

Mark,
                            I'm normally a laid back easy going guy, but don't get me mad.

I've never gotten that mad with a Studebaker, but I did demolish a porcelain coated steel kitchen sink with a sledge hammer once, when the D@#$% drain nut wouldn't budge after about three weeks of trying everything I could to get it loose. I was in such a rage that after I beat it into submission, I easily picked that 200 pound sink up and threw it about 50 feet out into the back yard.

Inanimate objects can do that to you, sometimes.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                            53 Starliner Hardtop
                            Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Mark,
                              I'm normally a laid back easy going guy, but don't get me mad.

I've never gotten that mad with a Studebaker, but I did demolish a porcelain coated steel kitchen sink with a sledge hammer once, when the D@#$% drain nut wouldn't budge after about three weeks of trying everything I could to get it loose. I was in such a rage that after I beat it into submission, I easily picked that 200 pound sink up and threw it about 50 feet out into the back yard.

Inanimate objects can do that to you, sometimes.

[img=left]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j259/stude53/studesmall2.jpg[/img=left]Bob Feaganes (stude53)
                              53 Starliner Hardtop
                              Newton Grove, NC

Comment

Working...
                              X