Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you know this '57 Golden Hawk? Help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you know this '57 Golden Hawk? Help needed!

Living In NE Ohio, and recently a local history buff contacted me with an interesting question. A local early aviation pioneer, Ernie Hull, (taught to fly by the Wright Bros., worked with the Army flight corp around WW I, etc.) was from Warren, OH (plus living and flying here). This history buff found that Ernie's pride and joy late in his life was a 1957 Studebaker Golden Hawk that was sold in 1973 from Ernie's estate after his death. The local "Ernie Hall Aviation Museum" is having a big event on Aug 8, 2015 for which they are expecting between 10 & 15,000 visitors. One of the things they are looking for is Ernie's '57 Golden Hawk. HAVE YOU SEEN IT?
    Its "VIN" number is 6103729 and it was originally gold in color with white fins. Is there a Golden Hawk registry where I could help them look for this Hawk? In your travels, have you possibly run across this car? In 1973, it was sold in Warren, Ohio supposedly in good condition, but I realize that 42 years later, things might have changed. Thanks for any help or suggestions!
    Larry
    Last edited by lakeview7; 05-25-2015, 03:33 PM.

Hope it's still around and you are able to find it! Good Luck!
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Gentlemen and Ladies, please check your Serial Numbers for Golden Hawk #: 6103729
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If known, or could be found with research (SNM production order), it would be advantageous to post the GH's engine number. Here in NYS, and many other states, cars of that vintage were/are registered/titled with the engine number, not the Serial Number (called the VIN by you). For example, I know the engine number for my '57 GH, but have no idea of the S/N (not the car because mine was black and then white).
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

That's probably the most common '57 GH color combo....and there are many excellent examples extant. Perhaps one of these other cars would do if the exact car cannot be located?

Comment

Is there a '57 Golden Hawk registry. That would be the quickest way to start.
            KURTRUK
            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

It wasn't mine
              Mabel 1949 Champion
              Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
              Gus 1958 Transtar
              The Prez 1955 President State
              Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
              Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
              Fresno,Ca

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                If known, or could be found with research (SNM production order), it would be advantageous to post the GH's engine number. Here in NYS, and many other states, cars of that vintage were/are registered/titled with the engine number, not the Serial Number (called the VIN by you). For example, I know the engine number for my '57 GH, but have no idea of the S/N (not the car because mine was black and then white).
                Did New York hang on to that very poor system beyond 1954?
                I thought when Calif. stopped using it it in 1954, that was when all the States scrapped that system.

Maybe our "Resident Licensing expert" Skip Lackie knows.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Did New York hang on to that very poor system beyond 1954?
                  I thought when Calif. stopped using it it in 1954, that was when all the States scrapped that system.

Maybe our "Resident Licensing expert" Skip Lackie knows.
                  Yes, New York did continue to register (no title until 1973) cars via their engine number later than 1954.
                  That is why I know the engine number, but not the Serial Number, of my 1957 Golden Hawk.
                  Even after new cars were registered by Serial Number rather than engine number, those already registered by engine number kept that system unless the owner went through the trouble of getting the number changed. I had numbers changed when I changed the engine in a Studebaker. By changing the registration from engine number to Serial Number, the cars retained that number for the future.

EDIT: I just thought that my Golden Hawk came from New Jersey, so I guess the use of its engine number for ID came from there (in that example).
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

You could try to get the title history for that car. This site

http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/faq_vehicle_titling.stm#tog

offers this information about that:

"I need to get a title history done on a vehicle. How is this done?

Visit your nearest county Title Office, or download the BMV 1173 Title Request form from our Web site. You may also call to request for a form at 614-752-7671, or write in to the Ohio BMV, Titling Support & Dealer Licensing Section, P.O. Box 16520, Columbus, Ohio, 43216-6520. You will need to supply the Vehicle Identification Number, the year and make of the vehicle. There is a $5.00 charge for each individual listed in the title history. This history will reveal all previous owner information if you meet the requirements according to the Driver's Privacy Protection Act (DPPA). Otherwise, you will only receive vehicle information."

Comment

There's also this online search, which turned up nothing with the VIN as you gave it, but it might have been keyed to the engine number, so you could give it a shot.

https://ext.dps.state.oh.us/BMVOnlin...tleSearch.aspx

Comment

I remember that Hawk.It was his daily driver until he passed.It was sold at auction with all his other cars and his planes.Since it was such a large auction,maybe try the Tribune archives and see if the auction company is still around and has any record of who bought it.It didn't have too many miles but the Ohio winters were starting to take there toll on the body.

Comment

There is a registry for 1957 Golden Hawks: http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/57gh/index.htm
                          KURTRUK
                          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                          X