Painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting

Just ordered the paint the other day from TCP (a tip I got from this board) anyways I was wondering if anyone has painted a car using a turbine HVLP spray system I've painted a couple of times with it but manage to get orange peel. This time around iam going to use a slow reducer does anyone have any tips on these sprayers? I have read an seen pics of great turnouts for this method so I'm thinking it's more me not the system at fault.

There is a reason body shop professionals don't use them. They may have higher transfer efficiency, but they do not atomize the paint .
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I know they work well for priming in shops with low ceilings and poor ventilation.....There's very little 'overspray' with these units. But for topcoats I'd go along with bez.

Comment

bez and SN60 are right. I've never seen a HVLP paint job that wasn't heavy orange peel.

Comment

You may want to to have someone spray it for you.
          You can do all the prep you want to it, such as getting the panels lined up, dents out and body smooth..

Not only is there equipment involved with doing a good paint job, but there is a learned technique as well to have a great paint job..

I have had my son paint small pieces to build on the technique of painting, especially in a non-environment controlled garage or outside.

It took months to get to a point where I would let him loose on a whole car, but practice pays off..

The cost of your material will just escalate if you keep having to redo it over and over to a point where it would have been cheaper to let Maaco paint it..
          And I do not mean that in a derogatory way.. I know Maaco shoppes that will paint your prepared car with the material you give them pretty reasonably..

Comment

Well, I have to respecfully disagree. I know in California, HVLP spray guns have been mandated since about July of 1990. However I would NOT use a turbine HVLP system to paint a complete vehicle, in fact, I wouldn't do a paint job without ALL the proper equipment. A down draft paint booth is a must, and GOOD paint mask, NOT a white dust mask, and the HVLP spray guns that my painter has, is about $500-$600!
            And most of all, it IS technique!

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

The main key is to get the right reducer and possibly a retarder additive. The turbines don't atomize quite as well but I have witnessed TP Tool in Canfield OH use their turbine system with tremendous success.
              Gary

Comment

There are HVLPs and then there are HVLPs. As in any painting system, the key is in application technique. one could paint with a mop if they were good at color sanding and buffing! Also the good clears lay down better than the low cost generic stuff.
                A good paint gun is very expensive and the cost does not justify getting one for just one paint job.
                Use that money to pay someone with the equipment to spray it. You can still do the prep and cut down on expense that way.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

As for spray masks, they may be fine if you have a nice down draft paint booth, but for the amateur, we need to know that masks do NOT adequately filter out isocyanates. If you doubt my word, check some of the manufacturer's web sites. That is what they will admit to. The only way for us to paint safely is to use a fresh air induction system. A decent one can be bought for around $400 as I recall. The system connects to a head hood. In addition, you can buy inexpensive coveralls that will help prevent skin exposure to the isocyanates.
                  Don't mess with isocyanates. I have decreased breathing ability from that and I know people who are far worse off than me. This is where I bought mine. It was a wise investment.
                  http://autobodystore.net/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=HP

Comment

Most importantly I agree with Truck Guy. Paints these days are dangerous to breath at all.
                    On the HVLP guns: they are actually difficult to use when spraying a metallic color. Too much material does not freeze the metallic in the color coat and you end up with metallic streaks. There is a technique to putting down metallic paint. Solid colors or clear coat you can put on with about anything, as Bezhawk says, and hand sand and polish. You just can't go through the clear coat. Ask around and see if someone will give you a break on spraying it in a professional environment.

Comment

Bruin, to get rid of orange peel I would think you need more reducer not necessarily a slower reducer. What do you think mr Turner?

Comment

I've never used one but here's the HAMB input. Pay attention to the comments on heating air and reducer type/use. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...ystems.529675/

Bob
                        , ,

Comment

A full face mask is not only important for your lungs, but for your eyes as well! You do not want to absorb the paint in your eyes either..

I use a 3M 6800 full face mask with the 6001 organic filters(2).

These can be had for under $50 with peel off covers to protect the mask lens.

Edited.. To correct my fragmented goop..

When I paint with this set up using the 6001 (2) I do not smell any of the vapors, which is good..

If you use this mask with the red filters (1), not recommended, you will smell the vapors, which is bad...

Replacement 6001 (2) filter are around $8 a pair! So as Bob noted below, replace often..
                          Last edited by SScopelli; 05-27-2015, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SScopelli View Post
                            A full face mask is not only important for your lungs, but for your eyes as well! You do not want to absorb the paint in your eyes either..

I use a 3M 6800 full face mask with the 6001 organic filters(2).

These can be had for under $50 with peel off covers to protect the mask lens.

When I paint with this set up I do not even smell any of the vapors like if you were using a mask with the red filters (1) in the photo.
                            Excellent thoughts, but I'll add, if you can smell something/anything the mask is not working as it should. The #1 above looks like their particulate filter but IIRC the 6001 cartridge is isocyanurate rated. IAC, if you are spraying with most catalysts be sure you use fresh cartridges on a regular basis. They are cheap on Amazon.

I won't disagree on the value of a fresh air system but just be sure you know the source of the fresh air. Some are better than others when the vented material can be picked up by the air supply.

After a career in the chemical industry, if I smell anything in a mask, I'm outa there.

Bob
                            , ,

Comment

Before I bought a HVLP sprayer from TP tools I did the body work on a other car I had than tried to get someone to shoot it they refused saying if they don't do the whole job they won't spray it. I got that a lot where I live. I finally found a body shop to do it for cash under the table but he rushed it an had a few runs an missed a spot probably the fastest 200 bucks he made with no guarantee. So I figure since I can't afford to pay a huge amount I might as well learn to do it myself but reading this I think I will upgrade my mask to a full face

Comment

Working...
                              X