A young lad with an eye for great old cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A young lad with an eye for great old cars

I answered a knock on my door last week to find a boy about 10 years old on my doorstep, saying, "Excuse me, what kind of car is that in your driveway?" When I told him it was a Studebaker, he said, "Thanks, I'm really interested in old cars", and then headed off down the street. A couple of days later, as I was walking from my Studebaker to my garage, I glanced across the street and saw the lad walking with his family and I heard him holler, "I love your car!"

If I see him again, I'll try to find out if his parents would let him spend some time with me to learn more about Studebakers. Maybe he'll catch the bug and help carry the Studebaker torch!

Cheers,

Jim
    \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
    Jim Mann
    Victoria, B.C.
    Canada

Be sure to take him (and parent) for a ride.

Then let him sit in the drivers seat and say "Some day..."

A visual is already imbedded in his mind and the actual experience will always be remembered!
    Next thing you know, you have a great friend to help wash the car, then perhaps a toy model of it for Xmas leading to a future care taker of a Studebaker!

Good friends with something in common, have no age barrier.

James
    Bells Studebaker Diner & Museum
    Bellingham, WA.

Comment

I caught the bug 60 years ago, riding in the back seat of a Starlight Coupe. I kept imagining I was in some futuristic spaceship. I bugged the man constantly to go for rides in it, (he always asked me help him wash it too,) I loved washing the bullet nose--- been hooked ever since!
      sigpic

Comment

What James says!!! And especially (nowadays) about having a parent involved. i have a 12 to 14 year old kid that walks by after school and if i'm out in the cave with the door open, he always says he "loves" my '51.

i told him a couple days ago, to bring his Mom or Dad back with him sometime and we could all go for a ride...
        Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I just finished doing a total brake job on a friend's '47 Commander Convertible (blue with white top!) and while I was at a gas station filling up, a boy of about 12 came up and asked a lot of questions about the car. After I told him what it was and gave him a brief history of Studebaker, he did a couple of laps around the car and left. Hopefully he went home and "Googled" Studebaker!

Comment

I have had a lot of these occasions. Try to make the most of them.
            A neighbor child, just too young to drive, came up my driveway and said something to the effect that her parents never have neat cars like I do. At that time, her parents had a show condition Torino hardtop. I let her sit in the driver's seat of my Avanti.
            Just this week, I was speaking with a young lady at a credit union. Amazing, but somehow the topic turned to cars and Studebakers. She asked what my favorite was. I responded: 1953 Commander Starliner. I saw her make a note of that. The next day, I got an e-mail from her saying that she looked the car up and really liked the sleek shape.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

A couple of weeks ago we were using the Avanti for errands , While we were at the local hardware store a young man was going nuts over the car , When we came out he us asked all about it and I told him Studebaker built it , His reply, I thought all their cars looked like Airplanes He was going to go on line and check Studebaker out ,

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	1696969At a family reunuion today,my nephew came up with this Torino he had just picked up. I was flippin' through the stored pics on my camera when a young cousin who is now the head chef at the prestigious Windsor Hotel in Americus Ga. saw a shot of our Avanti.He said "Hey! I remember when you took me for a ride in that car!"
                Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  I have had a lot of these occasions. Try to make the most of them.
                  A neighbor child, just too young to drive, came up my driveway and said something to the effect that her parents never have neat cars like I do. At that time, her parents had a show condition Torino hardtop. I let her sit in the driver's seat of my Avanti.
                  Just this week, I was speaking with a young lady at a credit union. Amazing, but somehow the topic turned to cars and Studebakers. She asked what my favorite was. I responded: 1953 Commander Starliner. I saw her make a note of that. The next day, I got an e-mail from her saying that she looked the car up and really liked the sleek shape.
                  Sounds like she was hitting on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                    Can't blame her. Gary would quite a catch!
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

My 15 YO son thought he spotted an Avanti next to a garage under a car cover. When I asked him how he knew it was an Avanti, he described the parts he saw, and he was correct! I'm teaching him well, my young Padouin!
                      Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
                      1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Originally posted by Paul K. View Post
                        Do you mean the one that was too young to drive??
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC
                        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Working...
                        X