Now and Then photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now and Then photo

I was leaving work today and saw this Beetle. I had to park my car next to it and take this picture. It would be perfect if I had an original Beetle parked on the other side of my car to see how a US economy car compared in size to the original beetle. A 2015 VW Beetle 2 door sedan is wider than my car and as long as a 1960 US economy car wagon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	BugLark 001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1746965Click image for larger version

Name:	BugLark 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1746966

Nice job, Leo. Thanks for thinking and taking the opportunity for a comparo! Many would probably not believe it.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Too bad you don't live in my area. It's no exaggeration to say I probably see at least 5 original Beetles on the road here every day. In fact, there are two or three running ones within half a mile of where I live. This valley is a time-warp.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        Too bad you don't live in my area. It's no exaggeration to say I probably see at least 5 original Beetles on the road here every day. In fact, there are two or three running ones within half a mile of where I live. This valley is a time-warp.
        Same here in Dundee/Newberg Oregon. There are about a half dozen running classic beetles zipping around here all the time. We wave at each other. I'll see if I can spot one in a local parking lot some time and try to park next to it to get a photo with my '55 President State. That is the long wheel base. Should be an interesting comparison.
        Nice catch Leo. Next comparison with a Fiat 500?
        Ed Sallia
        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Glad you enjoyed the visual too. Oh, we have oodles of Beetles around here, for sure. Sometime this weekend I'll make the effort to get a side by side with at least a 60s era bug. I still remember driving past a gorgeous restored 3 door crew cab 2 or 3 weeks ago!
          This was just something that struck me as I walked out of work yesterday and saw the Beetle parked there facing me. I knew the new era Beetles were substantial, but I didn't appreciate just how big they were until noticing it next to my wagon.
          I'll give the Fiat 500 a comparo too now. I have to say, I have not seen an original CVCC Civic around here though. :-)

Comment

The interesting thing about your comparison is that the USEABLE Interior space in the Lark Wagon vs that VW Convert is like Night & Day different for the similar outside dimensions.

It would also be a big difference if you compared a Lark Wagon to one of those wanna-be Wagons called small SUV's with the low rear roof and slanted forward Tailgate and virtually NO cargo area room inside.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

You are so right Rich. For a 2 seater, I was thoroughly surprised at how roomy the new Beetles are inside, just as a statement and on top of that, in comparison to the original Bugs but I'm guessing the new baby SUVs beat me in cargo height interior, but not even close with the depth.
              I rode in a new Mini and was very unimpressed at the size for the driver or passenger; but, if you want a cute parking lot autocrosser, that's the platform for you.

Comment

Are the new Beetles now two seaters? Another interesting example about interior room- I think the original series of the Chrysler minivans, at least the Grand models, had much more usable interior room than the current versions.

Comment

Technically, they're 4 seaters, but the room around you in the driver's and passenger's seats, well, it's not your father's VW you think about. It's partly due to the sloping windshield and the wide dash, but still, it wasn't what I expected when I sat down in one.

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                    Are the new Beetles now two seaters? Another interesting example about interior room- I think the original series of the Chrysler minivans, at least the Grand models, had much more usable interior room than the current versions.
                    I had two 1985 Dodge minivans and they are they most practical vehicle I've ever owned. Great for hauling lots of people, or sleeping in, or going to swap meets. I always got 32 MPG with the 5 speed overdrive tranny. They are very comfortable and they have a flat tray right in front of the AC outlet, which is ideal for keeping your pop cold.

Comment

Working...
                    X