Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were transmissions painted from factory?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57pack
    replied
    Upon taking my 1965 Wagonaire apart, 283 with Flight-O-Matic. I found engine block, heads, bell housing, and center section of trans, all painted black. Extension housing, tail shaft were unpainted. Didn't to appear to ever have been apart previously. Judging by the amount of grease and crud I had to remove. Greasiest car I ever rebuilt!

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker1965
    replied
    Haha. Well that clears it up. Now if only those color factory slides posted awhile back would have shown a transmission with the 283. Guess I'll investigate the casting closer for paint or lack there of.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    There you have it. It was either painted or unpainted.

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker1965
    replied
    Dick, you are correct. The car has its original trans. I think I see evidence of paint on the trans. I'll have to look closer.

Leave a comment:

• stude dude
    replied
    My 1966 Commander had the bell housing, extension housing and pan painted black but the cast iron main housing of the auto was not painted. This was an original low mileage car. The auto was so well preserved that we carefully cleaned it and clear coated the housing to preserve the original appearance and factory inspection marks.

Chris.

Leave a comment:

• mbstude
    replied
    The factory painted the transmission and bellhousing the same color as the engine block.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by Studebaker1965 View Post
    Hi guys. Working on the 65 commander with powerglide trans. Was the bell housing and trans painted from factory? I know the pan was black and it looks like the trans was painted, but the tail stock was aluminum? And not painted? Thanks.

Nate
    Unless your car has had a transplant, you have a Borg Warner 3 speed automatic. It starts in 2nd gear normally unless you select low or floor it from a stop. No Studes were factory equipped with a GM Powerglide.

If you do have a Powerglide, it would not have a separate bellhousing and would be all aluminum (if it was a 63 or later) and not painted.

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker1965
    started a topic Were transmissions painted from factory?

Were transmissions painted from factory?

Hi guys. Working on the 65 commander with powerglide trans. Was the bell housing and trans painted from factory? I know the pan was black and it looks like the trans was painted, but the tail stock was aluminum? And not painted? Thanks.

Nate
Working...
X