Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1947 M Should I sell it whole or part out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1947 M Should I sell it whole or part out?

A recent inquiry from someone in need of a top piece for an M series pickup got me to thinking of parting mine out. I bought the truck in 1973 with a blown engine and tore it down completely. Not long after I got the truck apart I had to move for a job and the truck sat at my parents. Over time I bought some NOS parts and planned to one day put the truck together.
    Fast forward some 40+ years. I was considering building the truck, but then bought Lenard Shepard's 52 Commander and the plans went to the side again. I could use some money to work on the 52 and I have realized that really I would rather have a 2R pickup at some point. My question is should I try to sell all of the parts at once or sell it piecemeal? Right now the truck is completely disassembled, but all there. Most of the parts have been inside for all these years. What would you do?
    sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

You will potentially get more money by selling it piecemeal. The sum of the parts equals more than the whole.

However, this will take time, energy and patience, and you will eventually end up with the parts that no one wants and will have to scrap them somehow.

Do you really want another Studebaker to cease to exist?

Now that it has been apart for over 40 years, perhaps the likelihood of it ever going back together is gone.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 05-19-2015, 03:53 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I think you should sell all together myself. I know you wouldnt do as good as if it was all together but the right buyer probably would take it all apart anyways . Wish I was closer , wish I was closer and 20 years younger ??
      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Roy, you hit the nail on the head. Right now I have a whole truck that is in much better shape than many I see for sale. I know if I sell the first major part I then have a bunch of parts. The truck would not be too hard to reassemble because they are so simple compared to cars, but I don't want to invest the energy.
        sigpic

Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I think you should do whatever puts more M's on the road. Since you describe yours as being in pretty good shape, it should probably stay together.

Comment

I vote keep it together. Personally I would love to have one and don't think I'm the only one.

It should be easy to sell to someone who is familiar with them.

Dean.

Comment

I vote with the masses...sell the M whole and save it! Put the money aside and find the 2R you want.
              I'd love to own a M...someday.
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

This is always a tough call. When you start parting out a vehicle, you will always end up with a hulk that you will have to spend time and energy to dispose. Is there anyone in Arkansas that has been looking for a easy project? How about a youthful enthusiast that would like to get into a Studebaker at a good price?

As for me, I am doing my last car. It was/is sad the way this car came into my possession but I am gathering parts and it will be on the road. I probably would not do what I am doing except it is a car worth saving.

Bob Miles
                Tucson AZ

Comment

Well, I went out and closely examined the cab and bed which have been sitting outside most of the time. The cab now has the typical rust in the back corners and the left door has a hole in the bottom. The bed, which had some rust in the floor braces when I got it, has two holes in the floor now. All the other parts, except the frame and axles, have been in dry storage. I have a few pictures of these parts, but the other stuff is hard to get to.
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

A few more pictures to help you decide if it's worth the trouble. The tailgate is not shown because it was straightened by my brother years ago and has been inside since. It is about as perfect as they come.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Are there any high schools or Vo Tech schools close by that have auto restoration, and would restore it for teaching the class?
                      I know they used to do auto body repairs and engine overhauls for the cost of parts and materials.

Comment

I have a soft spot for M trucks, but this one is going to be a very hard sell either as a complete truck or as parts.

As a complete truck, the buyer will have to be fairly close, he'll have to want a Studebaker M truck, he will have to have the space to spread out a disassembled truck, he'll have to have good rust repair skills, he'll have to have knowledge of these trucks in order to have some inkling of how to assemble it, he'll have to want a long term project. There may not be a buyer with all those qualifications even at a give away price. Buyers will pay a premium for a truck that is NOT torn apart even if it is in worse shape. It is pretty scary for most to take on a project like this.

OTOH, I'm not seeing many parts that are worth much as parts. The value would be in the sheet metal, but (IMHO) the tin is average to poor. Maybe the grills, fenders, dash?

My advice would be to try to sell it as a complete truck. Get ALL the pieces together and photograph everything (in groups or sub assemblies). Put it on eBay with a good description of everything and plenty of pics. Low or no reserve. If it doesn't sell, sell as many pieces as you can and (unfortunately) scrap the rest.

I would hope that one of the posters that would like it saved will step up and save it.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Put it back together and sell it as a unit. That is a very buildable truck. I'm sure there is someone out there looking for one at least that good.

Comment

If you have a price in mind it might help???

Dean.

Comment

Your M-5 should be worth more than this mess, which is already $6600 with 4 days to go.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-r...#ht_294wt_1238

Comment

Working...
                              X