Is it a Hawk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a Hawk?

Last week I had a friend stop by my desk at work and he commented on a black and white photo of a 1961 Hawk I had on my wall.He said that he always liked them.One thing lead to another and I asked if he had seen any Studes around. He said that he had, and to stop by his desk and he could show me where a blue and white Hawk was by pulling it up on GoogleEarth. I got the approximate location and was looking forward to finding this Hawk. I rounded up my brother this morning and we took off. After driving 15 miles and turning down an irrigation canal I spotted the "Hawk".It turned out to be a blue and white 1956 Chrysler 2 door. I guess if you use your imagination you could see where a mistake could be made.Oh well,at least it got me out of the house.

Someone who "happens" on a Hawk on Google Earth has way too much time on his hands.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10,
    '51 Commander Starlight,
    '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
    '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Someone who "happens" on a Hawk on Google Earth has way too much time on his hands.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10,
      '51 Commander Starlight,
      '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée",
      '56 Sky Hawk

Comment

Actually, he spotted it while driving to a friend's house in the area. It was easier to look it up on the computer than give me verbal directions. If I see him today, I am going to mention it to him.

Comment

Actually, he spotted it while driving to a friend's house in the area. It was easier to look it up on the computer than give me verbal directions. If I see him today, I am going to mention it to him.

Comment

A friend of mine led me to a Hawk,15 miles away-turned out to be a Renault Dauphine? iirc. Wasn't it the Dauphine that had small fins on the rear and a sort of Hawk shaped grille?

LaSalle,Il
            61Hawk
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

A friend of mine led me to a Hawk,15 miles away-turned out to be a Renault Dauphine? iirc. Wasn't it the Dauphine that had small fins on the rear and a sort of Hawk shaped grille?

LaSalle,Il
              61Hawk
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I suspect that you could fit [u]2</u> Renault's in the footprint of a Hawk.

Comment

I suspect that you could fit [u]2</u> Renault's in the footprint of a Hawk.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

The Oh-no Dope-fiend didn't have a front grille!! They were REAR engined cars, and had slots for cooling at the same end as the engine was in. They had a smooth, rounded front end. The Caravelle 2 seat convertible had little fins on them, but still no front grille, and absolutely no styling similarities to a Hawk!.[:0]

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

The Oh-no Dope-fiend didn't have a front grille!! They were REAR engined cars, and had slots for cooling at the same end as the engine was in. They had a smooth, rounded front end. The Caravelle 2 seat convertible had little fins on them, but still no front grille, and absolutely no styling similarities to a Hawk!.[:0]

Craig

Comment

That "Renault" sounds more like a Sunbeam Rapier than anything else.

Here's a piece of literature for one: Got the side grilles, the fins, the 2-tone paint!
                        http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-...8QQrefidZstore

Miscreant adrift in
                        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

That "Renault" sounds more like a Sunbeam Rapier than anything else.

Here's a piece of literature for one: Got the side grilles, the fins, the 2-tone paint!
                          http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1958-...8QQrefidZstore

Miscreant adrift in
                          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yup been there done that... drove 40 miles to see a $500 '68 Mustang fastback for sale... turned out to be a rusted out shell of a mid 70's Camaro. There was no excuse for that one lol.... atleast it got me outta the house for a day and a nice country drive! A good bacon cheeseburger too if I recall....

Chris Salisbury
                            Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Comment

Yup been there done that... drove 40 miles to see a $500 '68 Mustang fastback for sale... turned out to be a rusted out shell of a mid 70's Camaro. There was no excuse for that one lol.... atleast it got me outta the house for a day and a nice country drive! A good bacon cheeseburger too if I recall....

Chris Salisbury
                              Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Comment

Working...
                              X