Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World's Best/Most Original 1953 Commander Starliner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Yes, Tex; that's it. Thanks for the photos. Note no radio and no clock!

I distinctly remember the wear pattern on the driver-side carpeting and the gas pedal heel pad. BP
    No radio and no clock, but it does appear to have a cigar lighter and overdrive. Probably a smoker. The overdirive makes me question whether the intended use of the car changed.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      No radio and no clock, but it does appear to have a cigar lighter and overdrive. Probably a smoker. The overdirive makes me question whether the intended use of the car changed.
      Wasn't a cigar lighter standard on Regal Deluxe models for that year, considering a huge amount of the population were smokers at the time? A quick look at the element will determine if any of the previous owners were smokers.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        Wasn't a cigar lighter standard on Regal Deluxe models for that year, considering a huge amount of the population were smokers at the time? A quick look at the element will determine if any of the previous owners were smokers.

Craig
        The 1953 Accessories catalog lists the lighter as an option and does not call out models as for some other things.
        I seem to remember owning 1953 Commander Starliners (would be Regal, by default) without a lighter.
        The 1953 price list shows a lighter as AC-2311 and lists it for all Champions and Commanders. It is $3.15 retail plus $0.26 for factory installation.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks for posting that Bob.

Comment

This is an actual question, not a "not pick"..

I thought carpeting during those years was supposed to go on top of the door sill plate, just enough to cover the screws. This car has the carpet underneath it. What's "correct"?

Comment

I thought carpeting during those years was supposed to go on top of the door sill plate, just enough to cover the screws. This car has the carpet underneath it. What's "correct"?
              I was wondering about that driver sill plate myself. I wonder if its one of the reproductions from the 90s? The front end I thought is supposed to have a bit of a curve or rise where it meets the A post but those old reproductions don't. I have those in my car and the fit on them is OK but not awesome as they are straight too and no curve to match the rocker.

Could be even with the low miles here that the plate was dinged up badly as they are pretty thin and soft aluminum. A closeup of the plate would tell due to the way those repro's had the STUDEBAKER lettering done (etched vs stamped). The carpet looks like its probably the original stuff though. A brownish color with grey "hairs" in it. The stuff is short with stiff straight nap and does not have loops, etc. I saved a small pc from my car that was not totally rotted for a sample.

Jeff in ND

Comment

$35,200 sounds like an amazing deal if it is as advertised, for one of Studebaker's most monumental and iconic cars. Had it of been just a 6-cylinder two-door sedan (Champion), but instead the top of the line Commander Starliner, that's incredible! It's great to see such fine examples exist.
                sigpic
                In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  This is an actual question, not a "not pick"..

It is supposed to go under the plate and was originally done that way.
                  It does look better up over the screws to the first rise in the plate. I have done cars that way because any new carpet is too thick to fit under the sill plate and still be able to get the sill plate at the proper height. I suspect that many others have put the carpet over the plate since then.

EDIT: I just checked and John Bridges' book "Studebaker's Finest" agrees with my memory (page 124).
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Thanks Gary!

I didn't think of looking in the Bridges' book.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                      $35,200 sounds like an amazing deal if it is as advertised, for one of Studebaker's most monumental and iconic cars. Had it of been just a 6-cylinder two-door sedan (Champion), but instead the top of the line Commander Starliner, that's incredible! It's great to see such fine examples exist.
                      Well, I dunno, Brent; here's a Commander for half that money with one of them thar new, no-shift transmissions, too:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...efer=hccweekly

BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Or you could go pretty close to being perfect - for some extra cash...and some more "umph" with a claimed 289 powerplant.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...r/1685983.html

Comment

It is supposed to go under the plate and was originally done that way.
                          It does look better up over the screws to the first rise in the plate. I have done cars that way because any new carpet is too thick to fit under the sill plate and still be able to get the sill plate at the proper height. I suspect that many others have put the carpet over the plate since then.

EDIT: I just checked and John Bridges' book "Studebaker's Finest" agrees with my memory (page 124).
                          So the carpet went 'over the plate' in '55 '56 & '57 only?

Comment

The 1953 Accessories catalog lists the lighter as an option and does not call out models as for some other things.
                            I seem to remember owning 1953 Commander Starliners (would be Regal, by default) without a lighter.
                            The 1953 price list shows a lighter as AC-2311 and lists it for all Champions and Commanders. It is $3.15 retail plus $0.26 for factory installation.
                            My '53 Commander Starliner did not have a lighter. I added one from a salvage yard '54 Starliner just to get rid of the blank in the dash.
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                              Or you could go pretty close to being perfect - for some extra cash...and some more "umph" with a claimed 289 powerplant.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/...r/1685983.html

Damn! Those 53's are handsome!
                              Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                                Good point, Rich. I suppose it hopes to know Joe Hall personally, as I do. BP
                                LOL,
                                Actually Bob, my comment in post #23 was a red herring, to divert the masses that were beginning to swarm to the thread about SDC membership & this NG membership, where it was getting brutal. It worked for a little while

Comment

Working...
                                X