Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World's Best/Most Original 1953 Commander Starliner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
    Yes it was. But they apparently decided it was dispensable as I mentioned before....put on eBay. Now sold at auction. But as per my post #12, why wouldn't they talk to our member who wanted to buy it for the Museum?
    I have often observed the AACA to be a rather imperious group of folks.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by kmul View Post
      The car once belonged to Denton Wright from Canada.He told us the car was originally owned by a college prof.who walked to work & seldom drove it.It is indeed a lovely example & I have no doubt the nit-pickers who frequent the forum will tear it apart.I have been involved in the hobby for 40yrs. & have never seen another as nice
      Are they really "nit-pickers", or just conscientious Studebaker guys striving for authenticity? I think the latter better describes them (and me).

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
        I still find it hard to believe that Studebaker used a SPRING for the throttle linkage. I know that is the way it came from the factory and saw another almost perfect example at the SDC Meet in South Bend in 2012. BEATUIFUL CAR... and I cannot figure out why Mr. Palma didn't purchase it for his daily driver.
        Why not a spring? What else would you use? Didn't all the cars use a spring?

BTW, I'm still trying to figure out the correct spring (s) for my 1950 Champion. I removed the one at the exhaust manifold, as it was at quite an angle and wasn't needed for good throttle return.

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
          Bob, didn't you get any interior shots?
          No, Nels; I did not.

It was Carmel Vinyl with the original coarse carpeting.

Very nice all over. I can't imagine there being a nicer one extant; in fact, I'd bet against it. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I am very familiar with this car. And yes, it did belong to Denton Wright of Burlington Ontario. I am very curious as to who purchased this car as there were earlier, and serious, attempts to get it to the Studebaker National Museum.

Several months ago AACA had this car listed on eBay and it did not sell. Afterwards, one of our SDC members contacted me for authentication and in turn contacted AACA with an offer to purchase the car and he would then donate it to the Studebaker National Museum. Our Curator and Archives Manager engaged in significant discussion with me on this car and would have been quite happy to have the car in South Bend. The information I have is that AACA failed to respond to our member's offer to obtain the car for the Museum.

Any other updates would be greatly appreciated. Stu Chapman
            I'll vouch for "all the above," Stu.

After I posted this yesterday, I got a PM from the SDC member you cite, irate with AACA (not me) for not notifying him that the car would be available at this auction. Had our SDC Member known that, he could have bid by telephone, since there were phone banks accepting telephone bids all day and I saw several cars sold to telephone bidders.

Neither of us knew the car would be there and he didn't know I'd be there, either, unfortunately compounding the mix-up. And we both know this gentleman has the financial ability to buy this car.

Clearly an inexcusable oversight by AACA that cannot be justified. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
              I have often observed the AACA to be a rather imperious group of folks.
              A masterful exercise of TACT if I do say so myself, Clark. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                I'll vouch for "all the above," Stu.

After I posted this yesterday, I got a PM from the SDC member you cite, irate with AACA (not me) for not notifying him that the car would be available at this auction. Had our SDC Member known that, he could have bid by telephone, since there were phone banks accepting telephone bids all day and I saw several cars sold to telephone bidders.

Neither of us knew the car would be there and he didn't know I'd be there, either, unfortunately compounding the mix-up. And we both know this gentleman has the financial ability to buy this car.

Clearly an inexcusable oversight by AACA that cannot be justified. BP
                Bob, I don't think it was an oversight, but it is certainly inexcusable that an organization such as AACA would be so utterly rude to ignore such a genuine offer. But maybe all is not lost. Can you possibly find out who bought this car? Perhaps the purchaser would see the historic significance of it being in the Studebaker National Museum and would be willing to discuss it with our member.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Looks like it has been repainted, and the original color was black. Also, looks like some serious rust repair was done in the trunk

Comment

When AACA had this listed on Ebay it was mentioned on the forum, and that was fairly recent. I believe an incredibly high Buy-it-Now price was the major topic.
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                      When AACA had this listed on Ebay it was mentioned on the forum, and that was fairly recent. I believe an incredibly high Buy-it-Now price was the major topic.
                      You are correct. IIRC the price was $45,000. The selling price was $32,000. + commission.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                        Looks like it has been repainted, and the original color was black. Also, looks like some serious rust repair was done in the trunk
                        No idea how you came up with this information Joe.

Stu Chapman

Comment

No idea how you came up with this information Joe. Stu Chapman
                          Joe was kidding, Stu. BP
                          Last edited by BobPalma; 05-11-2015, 12:34 PM. Reason: double-posted

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                            Right, Brad. I thought I had seen it here, but I figured if Craig Parslow couldn't find it, I sure wasn't going to try! BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

This car was among the last few thousand 1953 Commanders of all body styles built in South Bend (remember that they were assembling them, with different Serial Number ranges, in California and Canada at that time).
                              It is 93% of the way through 1953 Commander Starliner body build.
                              Last edited by studegary; 05-11-2015, 12:42 PM. Reason: mising )
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

yes a beautiful car However, it would seem that the original owner who donated the car did so , so that the museum would display this beauty to the public for their pleasure and education...to sell it in a year doesn't wash very well..The original owner could have sold it too, but my guess is his/her intention was was not for monetary gain...makes one wonder about donating to museums ...

Comment

Working...
                                X