Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When going to a swap meet, take along ALL the measurements.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When going to a swap meet, take along ALL the measurements.

Click image for larger version

Name:	37presidentreassemblypatewheels 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1746869Click image for larger version

Name:	37presidentreassemblypatewheels 006.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1746870Click image for larger version

Name:	37presidentreassemblypatewheels 007.jpg
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1746871Click image for larger version

Name:	37presidentreassemblypatewheels 008.jpg
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	1746872The black wheel in these images is one of a pair I found at the Pate swap meet in Ft Worth this past weekend. I was thrilled because when I first saw them I was convinced that I had found the jackpot---'36 to '37 President wheels. They had the correct bolt pattern--5 X 5 1/2, 9/16 lug diameter, 16 Inch rim, 4 1/2 wide and what really caught my eye and made me take a closer look, the three hub cap mounting tabs.

What I did not check was the center hole diameter. The wheels on my car (the maroon painted wheel) have a quarter inch larger center hole than the black wheels. In addition, on the purchased wheel the lug stud hole is in a depressed portion of the rim and my wheels have the hole on a raised portion of the rim. The President full wheel cover also does not snap all the way down onto the tabs. I struck out all the way around, but they sure looked good.

I'm glad I didn't pay much for them. When I got home and found that the wheels didn't fit I checked the wheel that has been in the car as a spare for at least since 1985. It was obviously not a Studebaker wheel but it had the correct bolt pattern. It, too, had the smaller center hole. Glad I never had to try to use it.

Sorry Jerry. I thought I had a wheel for you when I saw these.

So, does anyone out there have a good wheel (or two) for a '36 or '37 President? Tom

Anyone have a Hollander or other Interchange information? I note that the parts book lists 191150P as the part number for the 1936 and 1937 President, and 19222P as the part mumber for the 1938 and 1939 President, and 197646 for the 1940 President - all are shown as 16"x4.5" does anyone know how interchangeable these three wheels are? Studebaker used to show interchange information in the price pages. When a part number was no longer available, and it would interchange with another part that still was available they would indicate the interchange, but this interchange information was lost when the price pages were no longer available.

Comment

Working...
    X