Any update from South Bend Swap Meet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any update from South Bend Swap Meet?

I'm hearing a few good things about the swap meet this year; good crowd, rare parts, flea market, car corral, etc.? Enlighten us poor soles that couldn't go?
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

plenty on facebook much easier to post pics there.
    61 lark cruiser
    64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
      I'm hearing a few good things about the swap meet this year; good crowd, rare parts, flea market, car corral, etc.? Enlighten us poor soles that couldn't go?
      It was FUN !
      Sorry, no pics.
      JS
      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

It was a great meet. Fun all day at the swap meet and great company until late at night in the hotel parking lot. Even gave a few rides in the Hot Rod road test R3 Daytona. SI had some items I picked up for my Avanti project. Also found a few wrong parts for my 51 Commander. Still looking for a descent driver quality rear bumper for the 51. Any out there?

Comment

Originally posted by nels View Post
          It was a great meet. Fun all day at the swap meet and great company until late at night in the hotel parking lot. Even gave a few rides in the Hot Rod road test R3 Daytona. SI had some items I picked up for my Avanti project. Also found a few wrong parts for my 51 Commander. Still looking for a descent driver quality rear bumper for the 51. Any out there?
          No bumper leads, but thanks again for the ride!
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

studerodder...Which Facebook page are you talking about ?

Comment

Here's my pictures. I didn't take too many this year because of phone battery issues.

http://s288.photobucket.com/user/64d...?sort=2&page=1

Comment

Studebaker addicts international on Facebook
                61 lark cruiser
                64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Thanks guys, lots of good pictures.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bordeaux Daytona;918213]Here's my pictures. I didn't take too many this year because of phone battery issues.

Lots of photos! Thanks for sharing, John. How many Studebakers did you see for sale?
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

The meet was good but the high light for me (but more so for about 4 or 5 others) was when Nelson took these people out for a ride in the R 3 Hot Rod test car. There was a BIG crowd in back of the motel parking lot and everyone was estactic waiting to hear that beast going down US 31 just behind the motel with a wall that relayed the sound of the exhaust. Definitely no trouble hearing it! Lots of big smiles that night.

There was some discussion about Motor Trend in another thread with some not so kind comments about that magazine. Here's one for Hot Rod. Back in January, 1964, Hot Rod did a test on Nelson's car. When 50 years later rolled around you would think this would be a natural for another article on the SAME CAR 50 years later. Nope, Hot Rod was not interested at all. Maybe all the big wigs are too young to know or remember but you would think they would at least be a little bit interested and maybe go back and look at the '64 article.

Many issues back when they left the Stude engine completely out of their coverage of all the engines they did from the past, I wanted to cancel my subscription but didn't. After this last snub, I did cancel it.

I have the bumber from the '51 if you want it for your '51 Nels. Of course it is looks more like, well you can imagine.

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken Hawk View Post
                        The meet was good but the high light for me (but more so for about 4 or 5 others) was when Nelson took these people out for a ride in the R 3 Hot Rod test car. There was a BIG crowd in back of the motel parking lot and everyone was estactic waiting to hear that beast going down US 31 just behind the motel with a wall that relayed the sound of the exhaust. Definitely no trouble hearing it! Lots of big smiles that night.

Ted
                        Ted, one of my highlights at the 2012 South Bend national was with you and that car. I was standing a few feet away in the parking lot, talking to Dick Clemens' grandson, Mikey, who was maybe 15 or so. I saw Nels getting into the passenger side so I knew something good was about to happen.. Then a few seconds later, you hopped behind the wheel. I pointed at the car and told Mikey, "Watch this..."

You fumbled with the key for a minute, but got it started. I had told Mikey how that car was significant, and he says, "I don't know if I'd be letting that old guy drive that car, if it were mine..."

A little later you peeled out of the parking lot and we could hear you burning rubber when speed shifting into 2nd and 3rd, blasting down Hwy 31. Mikey just had a look of disbelief on his face. I said, "Do you know who that old guy was?" He shook his head. I said, "Have you ever heard of Ted Harbit?"

I'm pretty sure there's a jaw-shaped imprint on the asphalt.
                        Last edited by mbstude; 05-03-2015, 09:39 PM.

Comment

It was 550 miles one way for me to go, but well worth it. I found some nice parts for my 1950 Champion and met some nice people from Ohio and Canada. It the first South Bend meet I've been to and I will try to make all the future meets. The nights and mornings were quite cool for this time of year, but the days couldn't have been nicer. I forgot to bring my camera, so I don't have any pictures to post.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                            How many Studebakers did you see for sale?
                            Maybe there were a couple dozen, possibly more.
                            Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 05-12-2015, 06:32 AM.

Comment

A couple of videos were taken of the R3 going up the entrance ramp behind the hotel. I haven't been able to find them on YouTube yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X