Forum, Ethel... Ethel, forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum, Ethel... Ethel, forum

The latest in my stash: This is Ethel, 62 Daytona 2dr. HT, 259 auto, P.S.

I bought this car and another 62 Daytona 4spd. parts car for Frankenstein from John Batka (289stude). I bid on both because he said he'd deliver them both on his 2-car trailer if I bought them. The price was right, so although I didn't need it, I bought it.

The parts car was fine; but Ethel was much better than I thought! The body is remarkably solid for a Northeast car- small hole in the left rocker, and minor rust in the usual rear of front fender. Floors and trunk are SOLID, and frame is perfect! Here's a picture:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...0/HPIM3531.jpg

Most amazing is the interior! It's in unbelievably good condition- just needs seats recovered and carpet re-dyed! Headliner and door panels are excellent- and the dash pad is PERFECT!! Here's the interior:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/bams50/004.jpg
    http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/bams50/005.jpg
    http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/bams50/006.jpg

And the trunk, with original spare, jack, and mats!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/bams50/009-1.jpg

The engine is complete but stuck; plugs are out and belts are off, so someone must have been trying to free it up... dipstick shows bone dry, so it's anyone's guess whether it's stuck from sitting or run out of oil and seized. Doesn't matter much.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a243/bams50/002-1.jpg

This one will go into secure storage for the time being, with special care to keep it preserved as well as it is! The snow on it in the picture is the only snow it'll ever see. May be nephew Evyn's first car..........

Just another Lark I'm thrilled to own, and look forward to working on![^]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

Bob,
    I know this is a disease, but I can honestly say I've never seen anyone so severely infected in so short a time as you.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob,
      I know this is a disease, but I can honestly say I've never seen anyone so severely infected in so short a time as you.[V]

Miscreant adrift in
      the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Cool car Bob,
        What a score. Since the plugs are out and you plan on putting it to bed for the winter. I'd put some Marvels or your choice of penetrating oil in the cylinders and put the plugs back in for the winter. Even if you tear it down in the spring it will be easier on you.[]
        Gordon

Comment

Cool car Bob,
          What a score. Since the plugs are out and you plan on putting it to bed for the winter. I'd put some Marvels or your choice of penetrating oil in the cylinders and put the plugs back in for the winter. Even if you tear it down in the spring it will be easier on you.[]
          Gordon

Comment

Yes Bob; Ethel's a keeper! That brushed on wood graining on the dash usually is a solid sheet of rust, I guess it's Lacquer. Whatever it is this one looks way better than most and it has the Regal & Daytona only, knee padding and radio surround pad in GREAT shape, ditto the dash top pad! And you're right that Saddle Tan is a great color, it would look really SWEET with a dark green like '64 Jet Green metallic, or maybe even that med. green '62 color.

Another thing that is usually bad, is the padded vinyl at the top of the door panels, and THAT looks good too.

The only thing that could be pretty rough is, when you get under those carpets there must be a fair amount of rust because you can see it creeping out of the cracks in the undercoating. Probably not rusted OUT, just heavily and pretty deeply rusted and POR15 MIGHT save it.

Great score Bob, especially WITH a 4 speed car with all the stick shift parts you need!

StudeRich
            Studebakers Northwest
            Ferndale, WA
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yes Bob; Ethel's a keeper! That brushed on wood graining on the dash usually is a solid sheet of rust, I guess it's Lacquer. Whatever it is this one looks way better than most and it has the Regal & Daytona only, knee padding and radio surround pad in GREAT shape, ditto the dash top pad! And you're right that Saddle Tan is a great color, it would look really SWEET with a dark green like '64 Jet Green metallic, or maybe even that med. green '62 color.

Another thing that is usually bad, is the padded vinyl at the top of the door panels, and THAT looks good too.

The only thing that could be pretty rough is, when you get under those carpets there must be a fair amount of rust because you can see it creeping out of the cracks in the undercoating. Probably not rusted OUT, just heavily and pretty deeply rusted and POR15 MIGHT save it.

Great score Bob, especially WITH a 4 speed car with all the stick shift parts you need!

StudeRich
              Studebakers Northwest
              Ferndale, WA
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Hello Ethel welcome to the forum. Nice car get her inside before she catches a cold. [)]

Comment

Hello Ethel welcome to the forum. Nice car get her inside before she catches a cold. [)]

Comment

I don't get it, Biggs... why the "disapproval" icon? Is it wrong to have several Studes? Because if it is, I'll have to live with being wrong[B)] If you're worried about my family, they don't see a problem; if you're worried about the cars, I promise to treat them all with care; and if you're worried about my finances, I promise I'm OK there If I add up every penny I've spent on Studes and related parts, literature, and expenses, I still haven't added up to the cost of one year of the racing I was doing! So, try not to "disapprove" too much! I'm having a heckuva lot of fun!

Rich, I was surprized to see how solid the floors are! I did pick that loose undercoating off, and the floor is very solid! You only saw the famous Stude brittle undercoating

I too thought about green; the interior's so good I've got to stay with it's color, but am not thrilled with the exterior color; but the car's such a survivor I may keep it original! In any case, it'll stay 259 auto. p/s- It's just too nice of a combo originally to change! Remember, the 4spd. set-up is for Frankenstein[8D] As suggested, I'll put some Marvel or the like in the cylinders and put her to bed; and time will tell when she'll get her turn to hit the road again![^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

I don't get it, Biggs... why the "disapproval" icon? Is it wrong to have several Studes? Because if it is, I'll have to live with being wrong[B)] If you're worried about my family, they don't see a problem; if you're worried about the cars, I promise to treat them all with care; and if you're worried about my finances, I promise I'm OK there If I add up every penny I've spent on Studes and related parts, literature, and expenses, I still haven't added up to the cost of one year of the racing I was doing! So, try not to "disapprove" too much! I'm having a heckuva lot of fun!

Rich, I was surprized to see how solid the floors are! I did pick that loose undercoating off, and the floor is very solid! You only saw the famous Stude brittle undercoating

I too thought about green; the interior's so good I've got to stay with it's color, but am not thrilled with the exterior color; but the car's such a survivor I may keep it original! In any case, it'll stay 259 auto. p/s- It's just too nice of a combo originally to change! Remember, the 4spd. set-up is for Frankenstein[8D] As suggested, I'll put some Marvel or the like in the cylinders and put her to bed; and time will tell when she'll get her turn to hit the road again![^]

Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Mr Biggs may have been frowning re: giving Ethel to your nephew for his first car. We know what fate quite often befalls those cars...

Seriously, though it IS a find; Congratulations on your acquisition! I wouldn't mind having one like it, myself. I see nothing wrong with warehousing some cars, just giving them a safe haven till they can get prettied up(or have a new engine) and back on the road, again.

Comment

Mr Biggs may have been frowning re: giving Ethel to your nephew for his first car. We know what fate quite often befalls those cars...

Seriously, though it IS a find; Congratulations on your acquisition! I wouldn't mind having one like it, myself. I see nothing wrong with warehousing some cars, just giving them a safe haven till they can get prettied up(or have a new engine) and back on the road, again.

Comment

I had a 62 Daytona HT that I bought new with the same color interior and a metallic brown exterior. My seats looked almost that bad in less than two years. Mine had a 289 4bbl 7 4spd. Except for the wimpy vinyl wish I still had it. Surprised many a brand x'r with it. Good luck with yours.

Butler, PA
                            63 Avanti R1 R2899
                            Butler, PA
                            63 Avanti R1 R2899

Comment

I had a 62 Daytona HT that I bought new with the same color interior and a metallic brown exterior. My seats looked almost that bad in less than two years. Mine had a 289 4bbl 7 4spd. Except for the wimpy vinyl wish I still had it. Surprised many a brand x'r with it. Good luck with yours.

Butler, PA
                              63 Avanti R1 R2899
                              Butler, PA
                              63 Avanti R1 R2899

Comment

Working...
                              X