X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TexasRebel
    Guest replied
    Thanks to all vets for defeating those tyrants who would have spread their tyranny if not for the US servicemen. Before I get too upset about those soldiers in the Nash ads being white(as were the majority of US soldiers), I will try to remember that they were fighting in Europe alongside brown, black, & Jewish soldiers to defeat Hitler's all-white Wehrmacht, while other US soldiers were fighting in the Pacific so Australians could decide for themselves how they would integrate their aboriginees into their population. JC demonstrates why we need to keep things ON-TOPIC here. This is a forum for Studebaker discussion, not America-bashing. When China gets ready to flex her muscles, Aussies will not be asking about the racial make up of our military any more than they did in the 40's!

Barry'd in Studes

Leave a comment:

• Bredehoft
    replied
    I had the honor and privilege of telling a WWII vet "thank you" during a Veteran's Day ceremony at work where he received long-neglected medals (Combat Infantry Badge and Bronze Star) for his participation in the Normandy invasion (in which he was wounded). His son works for me and did the leg work to get his dad the long overdue awards. http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/a...19/1002/NEWS01

--george

Leave a comment:

• Bredehoft
    replied
    I had the honor and privilege of telling a WWII vet "thank you" during a Veteran's Day ceremony at work where he received long-neglected medals (Combat Infantry Badge and Bronze Star) for his participation in the Normandy invasion (in which he was wounded). His son works for me and did the leg work to get his dad the long overdue awards. http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/a...19/1002/NEWS01

--george

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    I have a friend who was a radioman on B-17's always powered with Stude engines. Because of thier reliability he always owned Studebaker autos after the war. His last was a 62 GT Hawk. Took my 63 GT Hawk to his house yesterday and took him for a ride. What a thrill to tell him Thank You. It's more than what I go when returning from Vietnam in 67. If we all just told one veteran THANKS today it would make a difference.

See you in the future as I write about our past

Leave a comment:

• Avantidon
    replied
    I have a friend who was a radioman on B-17's always powered with Stude engines. Because of thier reliability he always owned Studebaker autos after the war. His last was a 62 GT Hawk. Took my 63 GT Hawk to his house yesterday and took him for a ride. What a thrill to tell him Thank You. It's more than what I go when returning from Vietnam in 67. If we all just told one veteran THANKS today it would make a difference.

See you in the future as I write about our past

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Funny story about my time off Nam on that cruiser. We all thought, "war is hell", spent a lot of time whining about being away from home and at sea. Well, one day, we brought a bunch of in country Marines on board for some min R @ R. The Marines enjoyed the air conditioning, hot showers and meals, and a movie or two. It made for a bit of attitude adjustment for us, made are time away from home pale in comparison. Of course, the "baby killer" chants from the cute hippie girls was a downer when we returned. "Hate the war, not the warrior", a lesson I hope we learned.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54,758.75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied
    Funny story about my time off Nam on that cruiser. We all thought, "war is hell", spent a lot of time whining about being away from home and at sea. Well, one day, we brought a bunch of in country Marines on board for some min R @ R. The Marines enjoyed the air conditioning, hot showers and meals, and a movie or two. It made for a bit of attitude adjustment for us, made are time away from home pale in comparison. Of course, the "baby killer" chants from the cute hippie girls was a downer when we returned. "Hate the war, not the warrior", a lesson I hope we learned.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54,758.75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    I would like to add my sincere thank you to ALL of the people that have served our great country..past, present, and future.

Some Stude pic's don't convey the feeling very well, but the respect is very much heartfelt.
    To be able to sleep comfortably at night and play cars during the day is a testament to the sacrifice and efforts of those who have served our country so well....
    Jeff[8D]

[/b][/navy]

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    I would like to add my sincere thank you to ALL of the people that have served our great country..past, present, and future.

Some Stude pic's don't convey the feeling very well, but the respect is very much heartfelt.
    To be able to sleep comfortably at night and play cars during the day is a testament to the sacrifice and efforts of those who have served our country so well....
    Jeff[8D]

[/b][/navy]

Leave a comment:

• Bredehoft
    replied
    Let me add my "thanks" to the veterans. As a 26 yr civil employee of the Department of Defense, every day I work in support of the Warfighter - and every day I work WITH veterans.

--george

Leave a comment:

• Bredehoft
    replied
    Let me add my "thanks" to the veterans. As a 26 yr civil employee of the Department of Defense, every day I work in support of the Warfighter - and every day I work WITH veterans.

--george

Leave a comment:

• countryboy
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by JDP

DLG 9 ? Isn't that one of those new fangled ships that shoots them missile things ? I served on CE-148, a 8 inch gun cruiser "Rolling Thunder" off Vietnam in 1967-68. I bailed out of the Navy as a CPO after 12 years because they would not let me take my Studebaker's with me to Spain.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54,758.75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

Your right on target John. One of those Guided Missle throwers that launched Terrior missles, radar guided, with also a compliment of ASROC (Anti Submarine Rocket launchers with 8 of those beasts on the forcastle) DLG stands for Destroyer Leader Guided Missle Frigate. She was the flag ship for the Commador of Destroyer Squadron 17. That might be one of the reasons we had good chow on the ole Girl.

~ Don ~

Leave a comment:

• countryboy
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by JDP

DLG 9 ? Isn't that one of those new fangled ships that shoots them missile things ? I served on CE-148, a 8 inch gun cruiser "Rolling Thunder" off Vietnam in 1967-68. I bailed out of the Navy as a CPO after 12 years because they would not let me take my Studebaker's with me to Spain.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54,758.75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

Your right on target John. One of those Guided Missle throwers that launched Terrior missles, radar guided, with also a compliment of ASROC (Anti Submarine Rocket launchers with 8 of those beasts on the forcastle) DLG stands for Destroyer Leader Guided Missle Frigate. She was the flag ship for the Commador of Destroyer Squadron 17. That might be one of the reasons we had good chow on the ole Girl.

~ Don ~

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54,758.75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

Leave a comment:

• JDP
    replied

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54,758.75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

Leave a comment:

Working...