Polarity of coil/distributor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polarity of coil/distributor

I have never known how to do this check and just found a refrence. Quote from a Chiltons Manual: " Check coil polarity, Connect a voltmeter negative lead to the coil's high tension lead, and the positive lead to ground. ( NOTE: reverse the hook up for a positive ground car ). Crank engine Momentarily. If volt meter reads up scale, the polarity is correct. If the volt meter reads down sacle, reverse the leads. ( switch the primary leads).

If you use the ignition switch to crank the engine and the primary leads are connected to the coil, I would think you'd be putting 25-30,000 volts through the 12V meter blowing it up! I think it would be easier to just look at the + and - marks on the coil and call it good, if you want to know it's polarity!

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

If you use the ignition switch to crank the engine and the primary leads are connected to the coil, I would think you'd be putting 25-30,000 volts through the 12V meter blowing it up! I think it would be easier to just look at the + and - marks on the coil and call it good, if you want to know it's polarity!

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

You can check it using a pencil as well, if you hold the tip of a lead pencil between a spark plug wire and the terminal that it would normally connect to and then crank the engine you should see the spark "flare" on the spark plug side of the pencil. If it goes toward the wire, coil polarity is reversed.

HTH

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel
        --
        55 Commander Starlight

Comment

You can check it using a pencil as well, if you hold the tip of a lead pencil between a spark plug wire and the terminal that it would normally connect to and then crank the engine you should see the spark "flare" on the spark plug side of the pencil. If it goes toward the wire, coil polarity is reversed.

HTH

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          --
          55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Man-o-man...
            That's way better than my method.
            Grab the wire.
            If it shocks the crap out of you, it's wired right.
            If not, reverse the wires and test again.[B)]
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by N8N

nate
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Man-o-man...
              That's way better than my method.
              Grab the wire.
              If it shocks the crap out of you, it's wired right.
              If not, reverse the wires and test again.[B)]
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by N8N

nate
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Sometimes the two methods end up being the same thing

nate

(OW! wait till I tell you to hit the key!)

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                --
                55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Sometimes the two methods end up being the same thing

nate

(OW! wait till I tell you to hit the key!)

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight

Comment

I have tried to make a change in my quote from Chiltons Manual. The quote is as written in the manual BUT , do not crank the engine,, Do Not crank the engine. Better yet forget the entire Quote, I think Chilton make a mistake .. I did loose a volt meter.

Comment

I have tried to make a change in my quote from Chiltons Manual. The quote is as written in the manual BUT , do not crank the engine,, Do Not crank the engine. Better yet forget the entire Quote, I think Chilton make a mistake .. I did loose a volt meter.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by curt

I have never known how to do this check and just found a refrence. Quote from a Chiltons Manual: " Check coil polarity, Connect a voltmeter negative lead to the coil's high tension lead, and the positive lead to ground. ( NOTE: reverse the hook up for a positive ground car ). Crank engine Momentarily. If volt meter reads up scale, the polarity is correct. If the volt meter reads down sacle, reverse the leads. ( switch the primary leads).

Comment

quote:Originally posted by curt

Comment

I would certainly not use a regular voltmeter that way! It COULD be done if you have a high voltage probe attachment for it. Not something most people have except TV repairmen or ignition system designers though. Without the probe (basically a voltage reducer) that several thousand volts will fry the meter.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

I would certainly not use a regular voltmeter that way! It COULD be done if you have a high voltage probe attachment for it. Not something most people have except TV repairmen or ignition system designers though. Without the probe (basically a voltage reducer) that several thousand volts will fry the meter.

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Working...
                              X