Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

What you might find in a "new" truck

Several months ago JP commented on some of the stuff he had found in Studebakers over the years. Around that time I bought the POR Hawk from him and discovered he had overlooked two brand new sets of plug wires from Studebaker International under the rear seat. []

I am contemplating selling the '70 Dodge Power Wagon I bought several months ago and thought I would get all the stuff out of it that was lurking under the seats, on the dash and in the glove box. Below is an inventory of what I found:

$1.11 in change
      25' surveyors and engineers tape measure (in 1/10th inch increments)
      5 chain saw files
      Eklind Tool folding allen wrench (5/64 - 1/4)
      6" flexible drive for a drill (with screwdriver blade)
      Armstrong 8mm combination wrench
      6" adjustable wrench
      Fram G-3515 fuel filter
      Popular Mechanics Torx screwdriver
      6" pliers
      Small test light
      Mopar fuel gauge
      Pack of Eclipse gum (now in trash)
      Purolator PV 228A PCV Valve
      1 pack GE 2057 bulbs
      A 100 ml bottle of Stihl Oil (it is in German, so I am not sure what it is for)
      2 boxes of fuses
      4 lug nuts
      15 3/8" drive sockets in metal box
      Oil pump shaft
      4 drill bits in plastic box
      NAPA Gold 3271 fuel filter
      Timken 359-S bearing
      3 universal joints (in boxes)
      Ice scraper
      For sale sign (advertising the truck)
      2 S hooks
      4 wire nuts
      Pocket screwdriver
      Numerous nuts, bolts, washers, screws, etc.
      Black magic marker
      Deck screw bit
      Panasonic car audio remote control

Overall, not a bad 10 minute scavenger hunt.

Decimal Dude ("Thinking" it is about $5.00 of stuff)

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

It's always fun to dig into an old car, just to see what you find. In the trunk of the '58, I found a mint condition Black Hawk corn grinder or corn husker... I forgot which one.

I gave it to my dad as a thank you for the four back breaking hours it took for us to load that car up on the trailer.

He's really into antique farm and house hold equipment. He has yet to find the exact model in his Black Hawk recognition guide. My dad jokes that the corn grinder is probably more rare and worth more than my car!

Chris Salisbury
        Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Comment

It's always fun to dig into an old car, just to see what you find. In the trunk of the '58, I found a mint condition Black Hawk corn grinder or corn husker... I forgot which one.

I gave it to my dad as a thank you for the four back breaking hours it took for us to load that car up on the trailer.

He's really into antique farm and house hold equipment. He has yet to find the exact model in his Black Hawk recognition guide. My dad jokes that the corn grinder is probably more rare and worth more than my car!

Chris Salisbury
          Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Comment

I call it JFIT (junk found in trunk). There have been times I have made more money off of the JFIT than the car itself.

One such occasion was a '63 Olds Jetfire I bought with a locked trunk and no key. I dragged it home, took out the rear seat, reached through and popped the trunk lid open. In there was a few "extra" OEM turbos that sold on eBay and went to Switzerland.

Also an empty "Turbo Rocket Fluid" container. Those cars were "fluid injected" (distilled water and methyl alcohol) due to their high compression (10/1) AND the boost the turbo put out. You bought the Turbo Rocket Fluid at your Olds dealer. That empty bottle sold for more than the car did [:0].

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I call it JFIT (junk found in trunk). There have been times I have made more money off of the JFIT than the car itself.

One such occasion was a '63 Olds Jetfire I bought with a locked trunk and no key. I dragged it home, took out the rear seat, reached through and popped the trunk lid open. In there was a few "extra" OEM turbos that sold on eBay and went to Switzerland.

Also an empty "Turbo Rocket Fluid" container. Those cars were "fluid injected" (distilled water and methyl alcohol) due to their high compression (10/1) AND the boost the turbo put out. You bought the Turbo Rocket Fluid at your Olds dealer. That empty bottle sold for more than the car did [:0].

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

This is nowhere near as good as Dick's find, but when I bought Barney, there was an NOS '63 hood ornament in the trunk. Standards didn't have hood ornaments and there were no mounting holes, so I put it on eBay. Must've been a good week, cause I got a couple of Benjies out of it

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                '63 F2/Lark Standard
                http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

This is nowhere near as good as Dick's find, but when I bought Barney, there was an NOS '63 hood ornament in the trunk. Standards didn't have hood ornaments and there were no mounting holes, so I put it on eBay. Must've been a good week, cause I got a couple of Benjies out of it

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
                  '63 F2/Lark Standard
                  http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
                  www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                  X