Supercharged Champ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supercharged Champ

I have to agree with the seller,this would cause alot of discussion with the hood up,even among the Stude folk.
    Wasn't there one,or pssibly two R2 Champs that left the factory this way?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1963-...QQcmdZViewItem

Just got done with my daily 'ebay check' is that a home-made airbox?

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Just got done with my daily 'ebay check' is that a home-made airbox?

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Yes, two R2-powered Champs were built: A black one that went out west and survives, and a white one that was delivered new through Snider Studebaker in Indianapolis. The white one has not been accounted for. I had the privilege of actually seeing and inspecting the white one when it was brand new at Snider before it was delivered, so it is no urban legend! [^]BP

BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yes, two R2-powered Champs were built: A black one that went out west and survives, and a white one that was delivered new through Snider Studebaker in Indianapolis. The white one has not been accounted for. I had the privilege of actually seeing and inspecting the white one when it was brand new at Snider before it was delivered, so it is no urban legend! [^]BP

BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob.
            That one that survives,is it in good condition?
            Owned by a SDC member?

Comment

Thanks Bob.
              Owned by a SDC member?

Comment

That's a VS-57, variable ratio, supercharger. The mount looks like a '57 or'58 Golden Hawk.
                If the air cleaner came from an Avanti, it's a '64. It's neat the way it gets cool air through the fender.
                I suppose it's a 4 bbl in the box?
                Is that an "R2" oval on the fender?
                Mike M.

Comment

That's a VS-57, variable ratio, supercharger. The mount looks like a '57 or'58 Golden Hawk.
                  If the air cleaner came from an Avanti, it's a '64. It's neat the way it gets cool air through the fender.
                  I suppose it's a 4 bbl in the box?
                  Is that an "R2" oval on the fender?
                  Mike M.

Comment

Yes, but I'd have to look up the details as to where it is and who owns it. That would take some digging, and my "shovel" is down right now!

It went out west and as far as I know, never got particularly rusty. It's had one or two SDC owners and unless somebody tore it up recently (unlikely), it's still a nice truck. All the information has been in Jet Thrust News within the last several years. JTN is available from Editor Ron Ellerbe in southern CA, although I think he is trying to shed that editorial job.

The white one was delivered here in Indianapolis, but I don't know to whom it went or where it is. This is not a kind climate, so I have my fears...BP

quote:Originally posted by Transtar56

Thanks Bob.
                    Owned by a SDC member?
                    BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Yes, but I'd have to look up the details as to where it is and who owns it. That would take some digging, and my "shovel" is down right now!

It went out west and as far as I know, never got particularly rusty. It's had one or two SDC owners and unless somebody tore it up recently (unlikely), it's still a nice truck. All the information has been in Jet Thrust News within the last several years. JTN is available from Editor Ron Ellerbe in southern CA, although I think he is trying to shed that editorial job.

The white one was delivered here in Indianapolis, but I don't know to whom it went or where it is. This is not a kind climate, so I have my fears...BP

quote:Originally posted by Transtar56

Thanks Bob.
                      Owned by a SDC member?
                      BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Another common error that seems to be growing in popularity is in this listing.
                        A Champion is a Studebaker car model.
                        A Champ is a Studebaker truck model.
                        Is this the truck that Dave Thibeault (T-bow) built up a number of years ago? Dave has been vending from a Ford in recent years.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Another common error that seems to be growing in popularity is in this listing.
                          A Champion is a Studebaker car model.
                          A Champ is a Studebaker truck model.
                          Is this the truck that Dave Thibeault (T-bow) built up a number of years ago? Dave has been vending from a Ford in recent years.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I saw on "My Classic Car" about 2 weeks ago after the new 2007 season started that the black Supercharged Studie Champ Pick Up was originally made by the factory as a tow/support vehicle for the factory Avanti record runs at Bonneville and that this truck is currently owned by a large Studebaker collector in Arizona....Larkster(formally Waydon)

Comment

I saw on "My Classic Car" about 2 weeks ago after the new 2007 season started that the black Supercharged Studie Champ Pick Up was originally made by the factory as a tow/support vehicle for the factory Avanti record runs at Bonneville and that this truck is currently owned by a large Studebaker collector in Arizona....Larkster(formally Waydon)

Comment

Working...
                              X