• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay '55 "Police Package"

What exactly is a "police package"?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Studebaker-C...m=131474920833
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

I guess because it's black and white and someone added what looks to be a Fraternal Order of Police star on the door that makes it a "police package".

It would have been nice to have a close-up pic of the door to see for sure about what it's truly representing.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

According to recent articles in TW, not counting before WW2, Studebaker didn't offer a 'police package' until 1956.

Craig

Comment

What exactly is a "police package"?

It has a siren under the hood.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

It's a 2 bbl carb and single exhaust. In 55 you could get the Power kit (4 bbl, twin exhaust). Any "police package" would have the power kit unless it was ordered special for Aunt Bea.
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Someone should call the Ebay police cause the listee is not telling the truth. cheers jimmijim
            Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            According to recent articles in TW, not counting before WW2, Studebaker didn't offer a 'police package' until 1956.

Craig
            sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Well...not that I've had much experience in the back of "police" cars...but, I believe the four-door cars had the inside door handles and window cranks removed. This one could have just as easily claimed "TAXI" package.

All comments aside...not bad, for this body style, to have survived, and escaped the scrapper this long. I hope it lands in a good place.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Back in late 1940's my uncle was the police department for are local Boro . It was a one man force part time he used his own car which was a 1947 brown Studebaker convertible. The police package consisted of a spotlight paid for by boro which also provided gun, badge, uniform, and gas . He said he had a lot of fun having recently returning from WW 2 . Those were days calls went to my mother and dads phone. My uncle worked three shifts at steel mill police was a extra side line for him . I remember my mother always worried about my sister and I riding in his car when roof was down. This was before seat belts or car seats we kneeled on back seat and look toward the trunk great fun for 4 and 5 year olds

Comment

In the 1950s, a police package usually included at least heavy duty suspension, heavy duty electrical system and a certified speedometer.

This car is in NYC, but was built in Vernon (LA, CA).
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Probably the "wipe-of-blood-easy upholstery"...

Comment

That excuse of a siren is a joke. its a J C Whitney burglar alarm siren, a far cry from a Federal or Sireno.

Comment

Working...
                      X