Bulletnose swap question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulletnose swap question.

I have a 50 Champ parts car I was going to use for the front clip and frame for my 49 Starlight body, but have learned that the newer updated front suspension that came on the 51/52 models is the best route to go,as far as drivetrain and suspension upgrades.I have a line on what the owner thinks is a 51/52 2 door sedan frame.My question is,will the 50 Champion front clip that I have, drop right on to a 51 or 52 Champion frame with no major modifications? I've heard that with the newer suspension that came on the 51 models,the inner fenders of a 50 will need to be slightly modified for the newer suspension as they don't interchange, but does the core support bolt down in the same place too? Just wondering that if indeed the frame is a 51/52, if I could just drop my 50 front clip on, and bolt it down and go basically? With some minor trimming of the inner fenders if indeed they need to be trimmed? Thanks in advance for any information.

I believe you can. That's all I had to do for my 52 hard top. One thing that could vary is the bolt pattern fender to cowl. Mine worked fine but I have 51 champion front fenders and a 50 center grill piece.

Others here know far more about it than I do so gather all the info you can.

Dean.

Comment

Thanks for the info Dean. I found out last night that the guy thinks the car/frame is a 51,but didn't seem to be 100% on the exact yr, so might have to take a little drive and go and check it out first hand.

Comment

I THINK from what I have read previously the 50 front clip will fit a 49 but not a 51 or later. If it is indeed a 51 I dont think the clip will fit the 49. I have never tried that swap personally but that is what I have read here. Steve
        sigpic

Comment

I recently read that the 51 wheelbase was 115" and the 50's were 113". Where do they make up the extra 2"? Are the fenders and hood a tad longer on the 51's, like the Commanders of previous yrs?

Comment

No. The wheel well cutouts are a different size and shape from 51 to 50 Champions.
            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

So essentially will the 50 front clip drop right down on a 51 frame,and there be no problems with the wheels being centered in the wheel wells??

Comment

The wheelbases were different, so the 50 front won't be accommodated by the '51 Frame.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

So then with the wheelbase's being 2 inches longer in 51,then the front fenders,and or hood for a 51 is longer then a 50?

Comment

See post number 6.

The 51 hood and fenders are NOT longer than a 50 Champion. The extra wheelbase was provided for by lengthening the wheel well in the fender. It would be great to see a 51 and a 50 Champion side by side and take measurements.

The frames are different for all three cars, as are the mounting points of the fenders to the frame. How different is a question for someone who has done this already.

It would certainly be easier if someone near you had a 51 car and would let you measure different things. Any 51 car would do, since the front sheet metal is the same on all of them. You could even measure the fenders on a 52, since they are essentially the same contours and stamping as a 51.

So if you get the 51 measurements, and you have the 50 parts car, and you have the 49 complete car, you could determine the best course of action.

As far as determining the pedigree of the supposed 51 frame that is for sale, the frame measurements for all of these cars should be in either the shop manuals for those years or the chassis parts manuals. Maybe there are frame drawings and measurements online, the type that would have been provided to frame straightening shops back in the day.

If the front suspension is still on the frame that is for sale, one glance will tell you if it is 51 or newer.
                    Last edited by RadioRoy; 04-08-2015, 11:55 PM.
                    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Roy,thanks for all the information.

Comment

The only difference in the outer fender is the shape of the wheel opening. I have put 1950 fenders on a 1951 Commander Starlight coupe. You have to open up the wheel opening at the front so the tires don't hit the fender when you turn the wheels. The inner fender panel is also a little different shape. The 51 inner fender panel is narrower for clearance for the V8 engine.
                        Email me if you want more info. tmills3202@gmail.com I may have a picture or two.

Comment

Thanks for the info redbullet.

Comment

Working...
                          X