X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guido
    replied
    Dick,

The cabs are the same, the only difference being the firewall "hump" that you mention that accommodated the larger Commander 226 engine.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    Dick,

The cabs are the same, the only difference being the firewall "hump" that you mention that accommodated the larger Commander 226 engine.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Guido
    All M series trucks (M-5, M-15, M-16, M-17) used the same cab.

Sort of. They were the same shape. Doors and other panels will interchange. But M16 and M17 cabs had a deeper recess in the firewall for the Commander 6. You could put an M16 cab on an M5, but you couldn't put an M5 cab on an M16. M5 and M15 cabs are identical.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by Guido
    All M series trucks (M-5, M-15, M-16, M-17) used the same cab.

Sort of. They were the same shape. Doors and other panels will interchange. But M16 and M17 cabs had a deeper recess in the firewall for the Commander 6. You could put an M16 cab on an M5, but you couldn't put an M5 cab on an M16. M5 and M15 cabs are identical.

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    The tag on the firewall is simply the body number which indicates when in the production run it was built. After assembly the cabs were stored and then pulled randomly from inventory to be placed on a chassis. Thus there is no correlation between the body number and serial number of the truck. All M series trucks (M-5, M-15, M-16, M-17) used the same cab.

On the other hand, the serial number shows the order the truck was built along with certain information specific to the truck (i.e. model, horsepower and wheelbase). Depending on the state, your truck was either titled by the engine number or the serial number.

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    The tag on the firewall is simply the body number which indicates when in the production run it was built. After assembly the cabs were stored and then pulled randomly from inventory to be placed on a chassis. Thus there is no correlation between the body number and serial number of the truck. All M series trucks (M-5, M-15, M-16, M-17) used the same cab.

On the other hand, the serial number shows the order the truck was built along with certain information specific to the truck (i.e. model, horsepower and wheelbase). Depending on the state, your truck was either titled by the engine number or the serial number.

Leave a comment:

• michaelb
    replied
    Hey guys thanks for all the advice on the missing model and vin tag,the sandman thinks he may know where they are, only time will tell. When I got the truck the larger plate was attached to the upper right hand corner of the firewall and the smaller tag was attached to the drivers side seat mount, I think these are the proper locations . thanks again-- michaelb

Leave a comment:

• michaelb
    replied
    Hey guys thanks for all the advice on the missing model and vin tag,the sandman thinks he may know where they are, only time will tell. When I got the truck the larger plate was attached to the upper right hand corner of the firewall and the smaller tag was attached to the drivers side seat mount, I think these are the proper locations . thanks again-- michaelb

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    So noted! Thanks Gary!

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    So noted! Thanks Gary!

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    Bob,

All of the post war M series I have seen had the frame tag (with the possible exception of the '45 M-15 C-9 I sold, but I do not recall ever looking for it). However, the location of the main serial tag did change from the windshield pillar to the seat riser at some point.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    Bob,

All of the post war M series I have seen had the frame tag (with the possible exception of the '45 M-15 C-9 I sold, but I do not recall ever looking for it). However, the location of the main serial tag did change from the windshield pillar to the seat riser at some point.

Gary

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Awww Geez Gary! I'm sorry....[V] ACTUALLY.... I'd like to know if that's consistent on POST-war M-series. I know cars dropped the frame-mounted serial number plate in 1940. I'm wondering if they may have dropped that plate on trucks after WWII.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Awww Geez Gary! I'm sorry....[V] ACTUALLY.... I'd like to know if that's consistent on POST-war M-series. I know cars dropped the frame-mounted serial number plate in 1940. I'm wondering if they may have dropped that plate on trucks after WWII.

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

Leave a comment:

• Guido
    replied
    [quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs
    Edit: BTW, Dick Steinkamp has advised that there's a serial number plate affixed to the frame rail, behind the left front wheel. /quote]
    As if my response didn't..... [V][B)]

Leave a comment:

Working...
X