No announcement yet.

ID PLATES (MODEL # &VIN #)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys thanks for all the advice on the missing model and vin tag,the sandman thinks he may know where they are, only time will tell. When I got the truck the larger plate was attached to the upper right hand corner of the firewall and the smaller tag was attached to the drivers side seat mount, I think these are the proper locations . thanks again-- michaelb

Comment

Hey guys thanks for all the advice on the missing model and vin tag,the sandman thinks he may know where they are, only time will tell. When I got the truck the larger plate was attached to the upper right hand corner of the firewall and the smaller tag was attached to the drivers side seat mount, I think these are the proper locations . thanks again-- michaelb

Comment

The tag on the firewall is simply the body number which indicates when in the production run it was built. After assembly the cabs were stored and then pulled randomly from inventory to be placed on a chassis. Thus there is no correlation between the body number and serial number of the truck. All M series trucks (M-5, M-15, M-16, M-17) used the same cab.

On the other hand, the serial number shows the order the truck was built along with certain information specific to the truck (i.e. model, horsepower and wheelbase). Depending on the state, your truck was either titled by the engine number or the serial number.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

The tag on the firewall is simply the body number which indicates when in the production run it was built. After assembly the cabs were stored and then pulled randomly from inventory to be placed on a chassis. Thus there is no correlation between the body number and serial number of the truck. All M series trucks (M-5, M-15, M-16, M-17) used the same cab.

On the other hand, the serial number shows the order the truck was built along with certain information specific to the truck (i.e. model, horsepower and wheelbase). Depending on the state, your truck was either titled by the engine number or the serial number.

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido
            All M series trucks (M-5, M-15, M-16, M-17) used the same cab.

Sort of. They were the same shape. Doors and other panels will interchange. But M16 and M17 cabs had a deeper recess in the firewall for the Commander 6. You could put an M16 cab on an M5, but you couldn't put an M5 cab on an M16. M5 and M15 cabs are identical.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Guido
              All M series trucks (M-5, M-15, M-16, M-17) used the same cab.

Sort of. They were the same shape. Doors and other panels will interchange. But M16 and M17 cabs had a deeper recess in the firewall for the Commander 6. You could put an M16 cab on an M5, but you couldn't put an M5 cab on an M16. M5 and M15 cabs are identical.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick,

The cabs are the same, the only difference being the firewall "hump" that you mention that accommodated the larger Commander 226 engine.

Gary

Comment

Dick,

The cabs are the same, the only difference being the firewall "hump" that you mention that accommodated the larger Commander 226 engine.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                  X