Fred Bartz's Memoirs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fred Bartz's Memoirs

I was recently reading an old TW (1995 I think) Buzz Beckman mentioned Fred's death and that he'd written an autobiography which was good and full of Studebaker information.

I just wondered whether it had ever been published.

Also is Andy Beckman of the Museum any relation of Buzz's?

John Clements
    Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
    Lockleys South Australia
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

I was recently reading an old TW (1995 I think) Buzz Beckman mentioned Fred's death and that he'd written an autobiography which was good and full of Studebaker information.

John Clements
    Lockleys South Australia
    Andy Beckman is the younger of Buzz and Fran Beckman's two sons. The older one is Tom, who has a nice GT Hawk.

For all practical purposes, memoirs of Fred Bartz are being serially published in Buzz Beckman's interesting, ongoing series "Letters from Fred" in Turning Wheels. [:0] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

John Clements
      Lockleys South Australia
      Andy Beckman is the younger of Buzz and Fran Beckman's two sons. The older one is Tom, who has a nice GT Hawk.

For all practical purposes, memoirs of Fred Bartz are being serially published in Buzz Beckman's interesting, ongoing series "Letters from Fred" in Turning Wheels. [:0] BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:For all practical purposes, memoirs of Fred Bartz are being serially published in Buzz Beckman's interesting, ongoing series "Letters from Fred" in Turning Wheels. [:0] BP
        And by the way, that is a great series of articles. Kudos to all involved in producing them!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
        '63 F2/Lark Standard
        http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
        www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

quote:For all practical purposes, memoirs of Fred Bartz are being serially published in Buzz Beckman's interesting, ongoing series "Letters from Fred" in Turning Wheels. [:0] BP
          And by the way, that is a great series of articles. Kudos to all involved in producing them!

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
          '63 F2/Lark Standard
          http://studeblogger.blogspot.com
          www.studebakersandiego.com

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Can't remember if I mentioned this, but amongst the stuff that the late Dennis Hommel had accumulated towards a 53-54 C-K roster is a letter from Fred Bartz. I can't remember now, what it said, but it was about those particular models. T'was kinda neat to hold a letter from Fred what with our having been fed the ongoing story in TW.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Can't remember if I mentioned this, but amongst the stuff that the late Dennis Hommel had accumulated towards a 53-54 C-K roster is a letter from Fred Bartz. I can't remember now, what it said, but it was about those particular models. T'was kinda neat to hold a letter from Fred what with our having been fed the ongoing story in TW.[^]

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yes, Fred Bartz was a fine fellow through to the end. Few people I've ever met had as much Studebaker enthusiasm as did young Fred. If only Sherwood Egbert could have staffed the entire organization with such enthusiasts.

Fred Bartz was a Co-Operator Advisor for awhile before his MS(?) got so bad he could no longer function. I didn't want to cut him off from The Studebaker World by deleting his name from the Co-Operator's list of Advisors while he was still living, in that he took pride in answering questions in great detail.

OTOH, I knew he could no longer answer questions. So, Linda Fox and I hatched a plan of listing him as Advisor Emeritus in The Co-Operator heading, which we did as long as he lived. Word got back to us that he greatly appreciated the gesture.

Cousin George Krem is positive it was Fred Bartz who took George and I on an abbreviated tour of the South Bend facilities one day in early June 1963. We had arrived at The Administration Building too late for the regularly-scheduled tour. George made up a sob story for the receptionist about how we had just travelled from Indianapolis [true; in George's two-tone grey 1958 Commander hardtop with 4-bbl/duals/overdrive] and really wanted to see the plant.

The receptionist made a couple phone calls and, presently, a natty young executive-type appeared and instructed us to hop in his red Avanti at the curb! He showed us around the facilities, which we already knew quite well, and was most cordial.

For some reason, I do not remember that specific episode of our "Adventures in South Bend" as well as does George. George is quite certain the young fellow who showed us around was Fred Bartz. Of course, we were just knocking around having a good time without a little Brownie camera, so we missed the opportunity to have a photograph and autograph that would be of great interest today.

(It wasn't the first missed photo opportunity, nor was it the last!)

SIGH. [V] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Yes, Fred Bartz was a fine fellow through to the end. Few people I've ever met had as much Studebaker enthusiasm as did young Fred. If only Sherwood Egbert could have staffed the entire organization with such enthusiasts.

Fred Bartz was a Co-Operator Advisor for awhile before his MS(?) got so bad he could no longer function. I didn't want to cut him off from The Studebaker World by deleting his name from the Co-Operator's list of Advisors while he was still living, in that he took pride in answering questions in great detail.

OTOH, I knew he could no longer answer questions. So, Linda Fox and I hatched a plan of listing him as Advisor Emeritus in The Co-Operator heading, which we did as long as he lived. Word got back to us that he greatly appreciated the gesture.

Cousin George Krem is positive it was Fred Bartz who took George and I on an abbreviated tour of the South Bend facilities one day in early June 1963. We had arrived at The Administration Building too late for the regularly-scheduled tour. George made up a sob story for the receptionist about how we had just travelled from Indianapolis [true; in George's two-tone grey 1958 Commander hardtop with 4-bbl/duals/overdrive] and really wanted to see the plant.

The receptionist made a couple phone calls and, presently, a natty young executive-type appeared and instructed us to hop in his red Avanti at the curb! He showed us around the facilities, which we already knew quite well, and was most cordial.

For some reason, I do not remember that specific episode of our "Adventures in South Bend" as well as does George. George is quite certain the young fellow who showed us around was Fred Bartz. Of course, we were just knocking around having a good time without a little Brownie camera, so we missed the opportunity to have a photograph and autograph that would be of great interest today.

(It wasn't the first missed photo opportunity, nor was it the last!)

SIGH. [V] BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                  X