X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzzard
    replied
    Don't forget Archie Bunker. Pretty tough to ignore Carroll O'Connor when he was at his best. I concur with all these posts and although I'm reasonably new here, I am amazed at the talent and eagerness of others to try to assist in whatever problems we are encountering whether it be sourcing a difficult to find part or simply having trouble repairing something. Lets all enjoy our Studebakers (Packards too).
    Cheers, Bill

Leave a comment:

• TWChamp
    replied
    Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
    I think much of what Jeff said can be summed up by saying every forum has a Cliff Claven, a Norm Peterson and an Eddie Haskell.
    You just named 3 good guys on two of my favorite shows.

Leave a comment:

• Gunslinger
    replied
    I think much of what Jeff said can be summed up by saying every forum has a Cliff Claven, a Norm Peterson and an Eddie Haskell.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    It may also be a good idea to "Practice What We Preach"!!

Leave a comment:

• Xcalibur
    replied
    The phenomenon has existed longer than this, or any other online forum, believe me--and from some otherwise surprising quarters on occasion... UNFORTUNATELY!

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    This forum is pretty nice compared to a lot I've seen on the pianoworld forum. On that forum the owner and moderator sometimes does not even respond to emails about offensive behavior.

Leave a comment:

• jg61hawk
    replied
    Well I 've been here for many years and the most important thing I've found out is that little icon at the bottom left is something...that's as good as when you guys taught me that little icon on my Studebaker radio is for cival defense!!!! By the way I spelled civil wrong because I'M STUPID AND DON"T PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL...Oh boy now I have to self report myself with that little icon....but first, this just in on my Stude Radio: THE USSR TODAY HAS LAUNCHED........!

Leave a comment:

• 55s
    replied
    I agree with you, Matt, 100% too.
    Clark: I didn't know about the triangle, but now that I do I will use it more often! : )

Thank you both.

I have seen a few nasty comments but usually dismiss them because they haven't been directed at me. Now I will report all obnoxious comments. There are always bad apples unless you sort them out first.

Leave a comment:

• rowan
    replied
    I own an M5 and late last summer purchased a Sky Hawk knowing I would have support from the SDC and this forum. The vast majority of the postings are civil and informative but there are several "enemies" on the forum that are rude and obnoxious to each other. I have come to ignore the enemies and don't read their posts - I should use the "ignore" button so I won't even see their posts - they are bad for the group and turn off potential new comers. We have other long time Studebaker folks that are very knowledgable but at times express their knowledge in a harsh manner. Written communication may sometimes be viewed by the reader as rude and self indulgent when that was not at all the intended delivery - sometimes it is. We must make this forum a fun and informative place to visit and cherish or our hobby will suffer. The only other forum I visit on a regular basis is STT - the personality conflicts are at a minimum and the members are cordial and happy to help.

Leave a comment:

• SN-60
    replied
    Good thread Matt!.....Let's face it, NO ONE has been berated more on this forum than 'Old SN-60', however, I do thank some of the forum moderators for allowing me to continue to express sometimes unpopular opinions.

I'd like to offer the following comment:......The positive message I received from the German fellow who recently purchased a '56 Golden Hawk off e-bay matters WAY more to me than any criticisms I've received from certain other forum members. (His message was in reference to my bringing the Packard 'cracked fan blade' safety issue out into the open.)

He realized I was 'tipping him off' to a potential hazard....and thanked me for it........ THIS IS WHAT I DO, SORRY IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT!!

The Studebaker Forum is thankfully only a microcosm of the Studebaker Drivers Club, and for this fine club to remain healthy, I believe the following guidelines should be adhered to:

1) Be completely honest about the 'Pros and Cons' of S-P automobiles....especially to 'newbies'.

2)Accept the reality that not everything S-P built was 'perfect'.

3)Get out there and DRIVE those Studebakers as much as possible....SHOW THE FLAG!!!!!!......Thank you, SN-60, member Studebaker Drivers Club since 1968

Leave a comment:

• Chris_Dresbach
    replied
    Here's my two cents worth, and I won't sugar coat it. I think the SDC as well as this forum has a lot of good folks in it but it also has some bad apples. Quite a few actually, they just don't post very often or just when they see the opportunity to strike. I'm a very thick skinned guy, but I finally got fed up with some SDC things outside of this forum and decided to leave, and lately I'm not the only one. If you want this club to survive, everybody better learn to get along. I think there are some people that also should be manned up to and be either kicked out or asked to leave for the better of the club and my opinion of that goes from the National level to the local level. That's my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Leave a comment:

• starliner62
    replied
    I see a lot more "grumpy" posts lately. I attribute most of them to cabin fever, but even during warm weather, I see a lot of snarky posts. Personally, I have pretty thick skin and most things don't bother me. What does bother me is the treatment of some of our older members, the ones that have first hand knowledge of the things Studebaker did and their opinions are usually a learining experience. Mama always told me to respect my elders and I still adhere to what she told me.
    Too many times, I have told myself to just quit this forum, but I do have a friend or two here, so I continue to read the good and bad posts and hope that I continue to learn from them.

Leave a comment:

• warrlaw1
    replied
    LOL. Thank you, Clark. Never noticed that little exclamation mark before. I don't see trolls as much as people just learning to express themselves in new ways (just kill me, now). If you have never written much and find this "new" medium, some passive - aggressive narcissism is bound to surface, as if we were all writing for the benefit of that great literary critic the sky. Humility helps.

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    But, but, but... picking nits is so much fun!!Click image for larger version

Name:	emo15.gif
Views:	3
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	1696063 I mean, have you ever watched the monkeys at the zoo? Not to mention all those Nat. Geographic movies! You know, the ones with all the neckkid natives jumpin' around? It's one of those inherited-cultural... thingeys.Click image for larger version

Name:	emo3.gif
Views:	83
Size:	1,001 Bytes
ID:	1696062

Or maybe it's just that there are so many grumpy-old-men like me hanging around here.

Leave a comment:

• Dick Steinkamp
    replied
    Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
    It can be attributed to human nature. cheers jimmijim
    I don't think so, Jim. I don't believe this forum is an accurate representation of a cross section of vintage vehicle enthusiasts. I frequent other car forums and have yet to find one that has as much negativity as this one and that can get as deep into divisive politics and other non car related hot button topics. I'm sure WORSE forums exist, but it would be great if it was as good here as the best and not simply better than the worst. I believe the forum "culture" is due to the fact that there are more than a fair share of folks here that are "happiest when they are unhappy", combined with relatively "light" moderation.

Here's one I am on almost daily...

http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/list.php?1

You will not find there what you find here. IMHO, MOST of the civility there is driven by members being respectful of others, but Skye (the moderator) does an excellent job of nipping any disrespectful comments in the bud and disciplining the offending member...but I'm sure that moderation to the forum standards also helps encourage the civility.

Here's another closer to home...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885/

Unmoderated, but the members take it upon themselves to quickly jump on anyone who starts to drag a thread into the dirt. A very different culture there than here. (OTOH, the unmoderated alt.autos.studebaker forum did not turn out well. The trolls outnumbered those that had higher standards of behavior. It crashed and burned. Studebaker Truck Talk is pretty special and the members there are to be congratulated for it.)

Another one for comparison...

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103

One more...

http://www.dlcentre.com/forum/

Although IMHO this forum is not a cross section of vintage car enthusiasts in general, it is what it is. The "you kids get off my lawn" types are not going to change. In fact there will likely be more of them as the club membership continues to age and as newbies are discouraged from participating. The moderation will probably not enforce the forum rules more stringently. To do so would piss off a rather large portion of the membership who feel obligated to express their thoughts no matter who it might hurt, and enjoys the back and forth that develops from doing so (free speech, you know ).

I'd love to see the forum become again what it was 5 or so years ago, but I'm not holding my breath. It's a different group with a different agenda.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X