Signal Light Switch Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signal Light Switch Replacement

I want to replace the "crappy" old signal light switch in my 1950 Studebaker Champion Starlight Coupe.

The switch that is on there now, has 4 wires coming out of it.

I purchased a new chrome type switch off of EBAY (around $25.00) thinking they were all the same. Should have counted the wires. The new switch has 8 wires. Another difference between the old and new, is that the new has an extra "pull-push" switch for hazard lights.

Has anyone installed one of the new type switches I describe lately?? If yes, what to do with the different wire count.

Reggie

Reggie, I have installed one on my truck. Mine came with instructions. Most are set up and intended for twelve volt systems. On mine, I changed the tell-tell bulb in the switch to six volt. Then I followed installation instructions. I also switched the blinker to 6 volt. They work fine except for the hazard four-way. Apparently, the 6 volt system, in combination with the old style blinker, can't handle the electrical demand to light all four incandescent bulbs at once.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My 1950 Champion wasn't cancelling at the right time in the turn, and didn't feel right when I worked the lever manually. I removed the cover and adjusted the rollers and also tighened two loose screws. It took 10 minutes and works like new now. Maybe your's would be an easy fix also.

Comment

I don't think you will be using all eight wires. Most 1950 models used a second socket and bulb for the turn signals alone. Does the old switch have a model # on it like 902 or 903 and green, yellow, blue, and red wires?
        Any model # on the new switch? What are the wire colors on the new switch?

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
          Reggie, I have installed one on my truck. Mine came with instructions. Most are set up and intended for twelve volt systems. On mine, I changed the tell-tell bulb in the switch to six volt. Then I followed installation instructions. I also switched the blinker to 6 volt. They work fine except for the hazard four-way. Apparently, the 6 volt system, in combination with the old style blinker, can't handle the electrical demand to light all four incandescent bulbs at once.
          I have an aftermarket switch with 4 way flashers on my '37 Olds. The extra wires are there so that the brake lights work independent of the turn signals. BTW the four way flashers work fine. I don't know if I kept the installation page. The blinker has to be "heavy duty" for the 4-ways to work properly.
          sigpic
          55 President Deluxe
          64 Commander
          66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Signal Light Switch Replacement

Thanks all....Seems it's apparent the differences is that the new switch is for a 12 volt system and the added flasher/hazard warning switch, hence 8 wires.

At this point, am thinking of removing the old switch and restoring it to look better. At that time, I plan on repainting the steering column as there are wear marks, scratches and blemishes along the shaft from 65 years of wear and tear.

I plan on spray painting using the can of Part number 801925 LOMA GRAY paint I recently purchased from Studebaker International. It's close enough for "Government Work". At this point, no plans on repainting the dash and window trim using the same color paint.

Also, a good time to remove and restore the STEERING WHEEL. I've done a couple and there are great instructional video's on YOUTUBE showing the restoration process.

Reggie

Comment

Working...
            X