Sad story... Garage fire in Suffolk, Virginia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad story... Garage fire in Suffolk, Virginia

Sad story of a man and his son in Suffolk, VA., who lost several vehicles to a garage fire behind their home.... including a 1964 Studebaker, 1965 Studebaker, and a 1966 Studebaker. Wonder if Jerry Thompson is an SDC member or does anyone know him?

http://wavy.com/2015/03/24/suffolk-g...-antique-cars/
    Last edited by hausdok; 03-25-2015, 02:14 AM.
    Lew Schucart
    Editor, Avanti Magazine

Bummer.

Lew, there is no Jerry Thompson from Virginia listed in the 2014 SDC Roster, or any Jerry Thompson in the club, for that matter.

The only Studebaker I saw or heard mention was a 1955, and the car appears to be a long-wheelbase President State. The report mentions five cars having been destroyed, but that included a 1955 Chevrolet and newer Chevy pickup, with no mention of other Studebakers...or any visible in the video's footage. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      Bummer.

Lew, there is no Jerry Thompson from Virginia listed in the 2014 SDC Roster, or any Jerry Thompson in the club, for that matter.

The only Studebaker I saw or heard mention was a 1955, and the car appears to be a long-wheelbase President State. The report mentions five cars having been destroyed, but that included a 1955 Chevrolet and newer Chevy pickup, with no mention of other Studebakers...or any visible in the video's footage. BP
      The text lists '64, '65 and '66 Studebakers as destroyed.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Sad...
        But it makes one ask a few questions...
        It looks like there is a paint booth on the video.
        Did he have a real shop/business on the premises that was not licensed/inspected?
        I know VA is a state where there are a lot of regulations, and zoning rules.
        Wonder if this was under the radar?
        Makes one want to install a sprinkler system, for sure....

(sent from iPhone)
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

George O is probably the closest Forum member, I will text him to see what he knows.
          Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

If the pictures of the 55 Chevy are an indication of their work, those were nice cars. Hopefully well insured but luckily the fire didn't get to the propane tank or the whole place could have been debacled. I think the interview indicated a 55 and 54 Studebaker but I'm just to lazy to go listen the second time. Coffee/caffeine level still to low.

Bob
            , ,

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
              Sad...
              But it makes one ask a few questions...
              It looks like there is a paint booth on the video.
              Did he have a real shop/business on the premises that was not licensed/inspected?
              I know VA is a state where there are a lot of regulations, and zoning rules.
              Wonder if this was under the radar?
              Makes one want to install a sprinkler system, for sure....

(sent from iPhone)
              When I was selling spray booths, I always referred customers to NFPA 33 standards, and advised, in writing, that they consult with their insurance provider, and local fire marshal to comply with local codes that could be more restrictive than national codes. You'd be amazed at what I've seen going on where there is NO booth, homemade booths, and altered/modified booths.

No matter what the cause, it is truly sad when an accidental fire obliterates years of dedication, hard work, and life long treasures.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It always saddens me to hear of a classic car loss like this regardless of the marque. It reminds me of Mike Scherers' Lark loss a number of years ago.
                Bill

Comment

I would guess it was something other than a paint booth that caused this fire. Even a home made paint booth will not burn a building if not in use at the time of the fire. Sounds like they think electrical but even a wire problem in one of the cars could have done it. Why it's a good idea to have a battery shutoff on older cars and use it when they are not in use.
                  Last edited by swvalcon; 03-25-2015, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Swvalcon, not meaning to discredit you, but, have you ever heard of "spontaneous combustion?" I have seen it in poorly maintained industrial booths. I can't give you specific chemical reaction details, but it happens. I had one large industrial account that manufactured fork lift masts. About the time OSHA/ EPA/DEHEC regulations were getting serious...big fines, and some landfills had begun to refuse solvent waste or charge exorbitant disposal fees.

I had managed to land that manufacturer's booth filter business. One day, the plant engineer and I were out behind the plant. There were a series of badly burned 55 gallon drums way off at the edge of the parking lot. I asked if there had been some kind of accident. He laughed and said, "No! That's our automatic used filter disposal system."

Apparently, every Friday evening, they stripped over-spray filled filters, stuffed them in the drums, and when they came back on Monday, all that was left was ashes. I don't know if they ever got caught, but I know of three industrial booth fires suspected from spontaneous combustion, or electrostatic spark.

On the other hand, I was at a friend's house one evening when his neighbor invited us into his back yard shop to see a GTO he had just painted. I go into the shop, no booth, exposed incandescent bulbs, paint fumes hanging heavily in the air. The paint on the car looked great, glossy, and as good as any professional I've ever seen. There must have been at least six or eight of us in that shop. Then I happened to look over in the corner. I was horrified to see a woodburning stove...flames visible through the open damper in the cast-iron door. I quickly made an exit.

It is amazing, that some get away with something like that, and others explode with a spark from a dropped wrench on a concrete floor.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

So, you've never been to Max Corkin's place, eh?

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                      <snip>
                      On the other hand, I was at a friend's house one evening when his neighbor invited us into his back yard shop to see a GTO he had just painted. I go into the shop, no booth, exposed incandescent bulbs, paint fumes hanging heavily in the air. The paint on the car looked great, glossy, and as good as any professional I've ever seen. There must have been at least six or eight of us in that shop. Then I happened to look over in the corner. I was horrified to see a woodburning stove...flames visible through the open damper in the cast-iron door. I quickly made an exit.
                      It is amazing, that some get away with something like that, and others explode with a spark from a dropped wrench on a concrete floor.
                      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

jCLARY I've hear of it but never seen it. I've worked in the body trade over 40 years and have only seen one paint booth fire. In that the meat head had just put on a coat of color and sat down in front of the fans to have a smoke. Thing when up like a fire cracker. I had a fire marshal tell me one time a continues flame is not as bad as one that comes on all at once. Said the continues frame will just slowly burn off the fumes until it gets so thick it can't take anymore. You wouldn't believe some of the things I've done and see in this many years at this. But back to the story I thought they suspected some kind of electrical fire.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                          So, you've never been to Max Corkin's place, eh?
                          Or my place.
                          Jerry Forrester
                          Forrester's Chrome
                          Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

The description of the Studebakers in this article more closely match the pictures.

http://hamptonroads.com/2015/03/suff...destroyed-fire

Comment

What a sad loss. The article mentions a 1965 Studebaker convertible. I wonder if it was one of the '64s Stu Chapman is documenting?

Comment

Working...
                              X