Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• t walgamuth
    replied
    I am surprised anyplace is still modifying wheels this way what with the potential liability of it. That said I know a fellow here in Indiana who would be able to do it if he was willing to accept the liability.

Leave a comment:

• studebakerkid
    replied
    Hmm I have 295 50R 15s on the back of Pinkie and I need to find wheels with more off set so I can get the sidewalls back insdie the body. I cut her rear fenderwells to clear but if I can find the righ rims I can take of the coveyer bet fender flares and put on some from JC Whitney and then maybe get her painted. So far I am not having any luck finding anything made that had more then a five inch backset at that aint gonna work.

Leave a comment:

• Dougie
    replied
    Originally posted by Swifster View Post
    I have two cars, both 1964 Lark types. These will be for drag racing and street driving. These will eventually end up on the Commander.

George or Doug, as you were able to get 15"X7" to fit, any idea on the backspacing? These are disc brake wheels.

By the way, does anyone have a spare disc brake wheel they'd be willing to sell? Need one for the spare...
    I can't remember the backspacing, but I know for a fact that they used a 7"rim, and I asked them to put all the extra width (less 1/2") towards the frame rail side. So basically the front of the wheel is 1/2" deeper than stock and all the rest is to the inside. I wanted the weheels to look stock and not deep dished. This provided clearance so the 275 tires fit in the wheel well no problem.

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    Dougie,
    275/70 is an awfully large(tall) tire. It was usually suited to trucks due to it's size. Are you sure that is what you used? The wheel / tire combo looks good in your pics. Please confirm.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• rkapteyn
    replied
    As far as I know , the 1964 wheels fit both the disk brake cars and the drum brake cars.
    Only 1963 had different wheels for disk and drum.
    The 1963 disk brake wheels had a distinct bulge.
    Robert Kapteyn

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    I have two cars, both 1964 Lark types. These will be for drag racing and street driving. These will eventually end up on the Commander.

George or Doug, as you were able to get 15"X7" to fit, any idea on the backspacing? These are disc brake wheels.

By the way, does anyone have a spare disc brake wheel they'd be willing to sell? Need one for the spare...

Leave a comment:

• Dougie
    replied
    I did exactly what you are talking about. I had the stock wheels widened to 7" on my 62 Lark for the rear. Stockton Wheel did the work. They welded a new rim to the original center. They put it all to inside except 1/2". I use 275/ 70 tires and they fit great.Click image for larger version

Name:	048.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1696011Click image for larger version

Name:	engine 4-21-12 001.jpg
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1696012Click image for larger version

Name:	engine 4-21-12 002.jpg
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1696013Click image for larger version

Name:	engine 4-21-12 003.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1696014Click image for larger version

Name:	engine 4-21-12 004.jpg
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	1696015Click image for larger version

Name:	engine 4-21-12 005.jpg
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	1696016

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    Define the intended use. For normal street driving and for pure stock drags the Stude centers will probably be strong enough welded onto a 6" or 7" rim. For those of us who throw it into corners hard enough to scrape the chrome off the door handles, the Stude centers aren't thick enough.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• R3 challenger
    replied
    Years ago at the Pure Stock Drags, we faced a similar problem. They allow us to run tires as large as 235 X 70 X 15, which is 'way too large for stock Stude wheels. We wanted to use Studebaker small hubcaps for the muscle car look, but it's hard to find another steel wheel in the correct bolt pattern that will accept those caps (the rules require stock steel wheels).

When I told Dan Jensen, the organizer of the event, about our problem, he said "Why don't you just have a wider steel rim welded on to Stude wheel centers." That was the green light we needed, and the Wrapper has been using 7" wheel rims with Stude centers ever since. The rules state that the same size tires and wheels must be used on all four wheels. It works (with stock springs) on a '64 Lark-type body, but there's not much room to spare.

Several companies around the country will do that kind of work. We used Diamond Racing Wheels in Milwaukee, WI. 7" was the minimum rim width they had.

George

Leave a comment:

• wittsend
    replied
    Here is a look at 225-60-16" (overall probably similar to 225-70-15" dimension wise) on Crown Vic Cop Car wheels as a point of reference.

These are the older style. The newer style has a FWD look to them. Nothing rubs internally. My front is about 200 pounds lighter than stock due to a 350 Chevy and a 700R4 trans. So, it would be misleading to say they don't rub externally on the front (though they don't - for me). Out back there are no issues. There are multitudes of Ford/Chrysler wheels out there in yards that would probably be cheaper than modifying stock steel wheels. Altering the offset changes the designed characteristics of the suspension. I mention this because I'm not sure what end results you are willing to live with (looks over drive-ability). I'm lacking power steering and low speed steering effort is significant. I have no frame of stock reference for steering/ride characteristics but for better or worse my car is "drive-able."

So, as you ask about "offset," is it to keep the tire centered as designed, for clearance of suspension or wheel wells or just because the guy asked? Lastly, what is the rear ratio? The 225-70-15" tires might be too tall for any kind of acceleration with say a 3.07 rear (as me how I know). I don't mean to throw a curve in your concept, I'm only asking because for every change there is a result that may or may not be desirable.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Forrester
    replied
    On Frosty, the '55 Comm. Cp., I put a 2" band in the stock front wheels. Kept the original back space and just added to the outer part of the wheel. ended up with a 6-1/2" wide wheel. Worked and looked great. Had 8 X 15's on the rear.

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    I have a shop close by. They want to know for backspacing...

Leave a comment:

• 55s
    replied
    I have had a few Chrysler guys buy Lark rims with the three nubs for their early 60s Mopars with the dog dish hubcaps. I understand they use the centre and weld a new rim on. I was told there are shops that specialize in this.

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    started a topic Widening Wheels

Widening Wheels

OK, so I have some donuts on my Daytona. I want to get the OEM wheels widened. I would like to go to 7" wide rims, but may settle for 6" wide rims. Any have this done before? What backspacing was used? Ideally I'd like to run 225/70R15's on it...
Working...
X