No announcement yet.

Desperate need of wheel cylinder parts for recently acquired 37 coupe express

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperate need of wheel cylinder parts for recently acquired 37 coupe express

Hello kind Studebaker world, I have recently been given the honor of being the latest caretaker of a beautiful 1937 coupe express, all original, numbers matching, 3rd owner, but has sat idle for last 11 years. Unfortunately electrolysis has gotten the better of the aluminum wheel cylinder outer cups and they no longer are there. Just fine power. So I am in need of either the aluminum cups and rebuild kits or complete rebuild able cylinders, or even partial parts would help starting with the cups. Any information on who where or when I could possibly get a hold of these items would be highly appreciated, and I'm sure the Car gods above would look favorably on your efforts. I as well would be forever greatful, as with the truck came a small cashe of parts for other types of studies. I am not familiar as to which one but I would be willing to trade parts I do not meet in return for wheel cylinders or even info on where to seriously acquire what I need. The completion of these items would get the beauty back to the road as this is the final part of its return to life. Any help would be great. I can be reached at 510 816 0583 any hour any day. Thanks Again, J.S.

Welcome! Post also on Studebaker Truck Talk as there are more truck guys there. I have been pretty lucky finding such stuff at my local NAPA or Carquest. Try to find one with a machine shop. The folks at Apple Hydraulics can rebuild your existing cylinders including sleeves if necessary. There is also a place called White Castle Restorations that does the same. Otherwise we like pics, especially of Coupe Expresses. Steve
    sigpic

Comment

mmmmmm , White Castle .........

Comment

Those aluminum parts are called "pistons". There is a rubber "cup" behind it and a rubber "boot" in front of it. The rubber parts are available as Repair Kit S-376 for the fronts and S-377 for the rears. You'll need 1 kit for each end of the car. I think the kits also include the internal spring. Studebaker International, Studebakerparts.com, and other vendors have the kits for about $16-$18 each. If the pistons dissolved, it is likely that the bores are corroded, too, so you can send them to White Post Restorations for sleeving with stainless steel or brass.

Pistons will take a little searching. The front cylinders each use one 1-3/8" piston (Studebaker p/n 185468) and one 1" piston (185470). The rears use one 1-1/4" piston (185469) and one 1" piston (185470, same as front). Someone may have an interchange book for Wagner or Bendix brake parts that can help to identify alternate parts. You can start with Then and Now Auto Parts in Weymouth, MA (tel. 781-335-8860) or Northwestern Auto Supply in Michigan (tel 616-241-5611). Also try Nelson Pease in Palmer, MA (tel. 413-283-7620, Mon-Fri 9-5). White Post Restorations may be able to do the entire job for you (tel . 540-837-1140).

There are no reproduction wheel cylinders available for these trucks.
        Gary Ash
        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
        '48 M5
        '65 Wagonaire Commander
        '63 Wagonaire Standard
        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

A good vendor source for prewar Studebaker parts is Bob Kapteyn....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
            T

White Post Restorations may be able to do the entire job for you (tel . 540-837-1140).

Correct, not White Castle. Musta been hungry when I posted earlier. Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Those aluminum parts are called "pistons". There is a rubber "cup" behind it and a rubber "boot" in front of it. The rubber parts are available as Repair Kit S-376 for the fronts and S-377 for the rears. You'll need 1 kit for each end of the car. I think the kits also include the internal spring. Studebaker International, Studebakerparts.com, and other vendors have the kits for about $16-$18 each. If the pistons dissolved, it is likely that the bores are corroded, too, so you can send them to White Post Restorations for sleeving with stainless steel or brass.

Pistons will take a little searching. The front cylinders each use one 1-3/8" piston (Studebaker p/n 185468) and one 1" piston (185470). The rears use one 1-1/4" piston (185469) and one 1" piston (185470, same as front). Someone may have an interchange book for Wagner or Bendix brake parts that can help to identify alternate parts. You can start with Then and Now Auto Parts in Weymouth, MA (tel. 781-335-8860) or Northwestern Auto Supply in Michigan (tel 616-241-5611). Also try Nelson Pease in Palmer, MA (tel. 413-283-7620, Mon-Fri 9-5). White Post Restorations may be able to do the entire job for you (tel . 540-837-1140).

There are no reproduction wheel cylinders available for these trucks.
              Gary, repros are available. Just have to know where to look. Rex

Comment

Rex, do tell! Fronts, rears, or both? The front ones for the 1937 J5's have different numbers than the ones for 1938 and later. The later front ones and the 1937 and later rear cylinders also fit M5 trucks, so there are many interested people. Just finding new pistons would help a lot of people. Is there an interchange number for the pistons?
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

'41 to '48 Ford use the front wheel cylinder. 1 3/8"-1".Been getting from an old Ford parts house in California. I'm in Arizona and info at home. Do a search on the "Studebaker Truck Talk" for wheel cylinders there as I have posted the info there in the past. The last ones were about $45.00 each. Looked up where I got the wheel cylinders. The place is C&G Ford.
                  Last edited by DieselJim; 03-24-2015, 02:29 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Yes, the 41-48 cyl both front and rear will fit cp exp and are stock items at NAPA, however you must machine the center out of the pistons as they are different. Jerry Kurtz

Comment

Rex, do tell! Fronts, rears, or both? The front ones for the 1937 J5's have different numbers than the ones for 1938 and later. The later front ones and the 1937 and later rear cylinders also fit M5 trucks, so there are many interested people. Just finding new pistons would help a lot of people. Is there an interchange number for the pistons?
                      Jerry Kurtz got it right. Also buy the stude rebuild kits to change to the boot with slot.
                      Last edited by studerex; 03-24-2015, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Not sure if anyone is interested but just ran across a NOS wheel cylinder which was with a bunch of Studebaker parts I bought last fall. It's a stepped cylinder with a 1-3/8" and 1" diameter bore. The pistons came out nicely and cylinder walls looks clean. There was no Studebaker part number but the housing says Wagner-Lockheed FD7256.

The wheel cylinder has been sold, thanks. Click image for larger version

Name:	Studebaker Seat Spring Kit 006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1696089
                        Last edited by dpson; 04-01-2015, 02:34 PM.
                        Dan Peterson
                        Montpelier, VT
                        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                          Correct, not White Castle. Musta been hungry when I posted earlier. Steve
                          I'm getting hungry myself, hey, wheel cylinders and hamburgers go together great!
                          sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                          Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                          "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Quality information from your end DieselJim. I have now received the new ones and i am pleased to see them go on so easily. Soon I will be a drivin'. Thank's again for the info I owe you one. I have now come across the machining issue you were referring to but not a problem an easy fix, compared to not being able to find them at all. Lots of luck J.S.

Comment

Dan Peterson: I don't know where that Wagner-Lockheed FD7256 wheel cylinder is used, but I do have these interchanges:

Studebaker 515692 = Wagner FD7258
                              Studebaker 515693 = Wagner FD7257
                              These are right and left front wheel cylinders, respectively on M5 trucks, postwar

Studebaker 195166 = Wagner FC5984, right rear
                              Studebaker 195166 = Wagner FC5983, left rear
                              wheel cylinders on M5 trucks, 3A-12A Dictator/Commanders (1936-42), J5-L5 Coupe Express trucks (1937-39),and 2C-8C Presidents (1936-42)

Can someone post a photo or drawing of how the Ford pistons need to be machined?

The Ford part numbers for the 1x1-3/8 cylinders are 21A-2061 (right) and 21A-2062 (left) for 1942-48 Fords (front wheels). Many reproduction Ford parts vendors seem to have them at $35-$52.
                              So what's the Ford part that replaces the 1" rear wheel cylinders for Studebakers? The Ford 91A-2261 and 91A-2262 for rear wheels are 1x1-1/8" step bore, not 1x1-1/4" as on Studebakers. Are the Ford parts "close enough"?
                              Gary Ash
                              Dartmouth, Mass.

'48 M5
                              '65 Wagonaire Commander
                              '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

Working...
                              X