rockauto.com for Stude parts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rockauto.com for Stude parts?

I was very surprised at the amount of Studebaker parts that Rock Auto has for my car. Not so much in way of the restoration stuff, but a lot of common replacement parts like fuel pumps and water pumps etc etc. The prices seemed to be very reasonable too.

Does anyone have any experience with Rock Auto and their Studebaker parts??

I noticed that a couple of parts even said that they were standard Packard / Studebaker NOS parts... kinda wierd for a fairly mainstream auto part supplier...

Chris Salisbury
    Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

I've bought from them before, but even Autozone has many parts available on the net, i.e. rebuilt V8 waterpumps.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54,758.75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I've bought from them before, but even Autozone has many parts available on the net, i.e. rebuilt V8 waterpumps.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54,758.75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,439.30
      63 Lark 2 door
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP, what has been your experience with the over the counter Autozone parts for your Studebakers? Do they look fairly original, or are there big differences in appearance? Anything to steer clear of?

Chris Salisbury
        Hutto/Austin, TX

Comment

JDP, what has been your experience with the over the counter Autozone parts for your Studebakers? Do they look fairly original, or are there big differences in appearance? Anything to steer clear of?

Chris Salisbury
          Hutto/Austin, TX

Comment

Everything I've bought so far is generic stuff that is just like the factory stuff. i.e. seals, gaskets, shocks, filters, hoses and the like are all just fine. The water pumps are rebuilt, the shocks are new, made just for Studebaker.

JDP/Maryland
            63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
            spent to date $54,758.75
            64 R2 GT (Sid)
            spent to date $62,439.30
            63 Lark 2 door
            52 Starliner
            51 Commander
            39 Coupe express
            39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Everything I've bought so far is generic stuff that is just like the factory stuff. i.e. seals, gaskets, shocks, filters, hoses and the like are all just fine. The water pumps are rebuilt, the shocks are new, made just for Studebaker.

JDP/Maryland
              63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
              spent to date $54,758.75
              64 R2 GT (Sid)
              spent to date $62,439.30
              63 Lark 2 door
              52 Starliner
              51 Commander
              39 Coupe express
              39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

CJ; I don't recommend REBUILT water pumps, now-days they usually come from "questionable" rebuilders.

But the main reason is, if you have to spend $45-55.00 for one, why buy used? You are too close to the price of a NEW one from a Stude. vendor!

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

CJ; I don't recommend REBUILT water pumps, now-days they usually come from "questionable" rebuilders.

But the main reason is, if you have to spend $45-55.00 for one, why buy used? You are too close to the price of a NEW one from a Stude. vendor!

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

And one of the reputable vendors told me that a Studebaker parts vendor paid to have 1000 new water pumps made from the original casts, and that these new ones are now available from all the good Studebaker parts vendors (not necessarily Autozone or Rock Auto). I'd get one such water pump from StudeRich (http://www.studebakersnorthwest.com/)or Chuck Collins (www.studebakerparts.com), Stephen Allen's (www.mystudebaker.com), SASCO (www.studeparts.com), Ed Reynolds' Studebaker International (www.stdebaker-intl) etc.... Those are all good. Go to Studebakervendors.com to see a more complete list of vendors. I wouldn't necessarily endorse all the ones on that site, nor all the ones listed in Turning Wheels. Oh, JDP is good too, for interior materials (Hey JDP, what's your web address?)

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                    The Red-Headed Amazon
                    Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
                    "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                    The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

And one of the reputable vendors told me that a Studebaker parts vendor paid to have 1000 new water pumps made from the original casts, and that these new ones are now available from all the good Studebaker parts vendors (not necessarily Autozone or Rock Auto). I'd get one such water pump from StudeRich (http://www.studebakersnorthwest.com/)or Chuck Collins (www.studebakerparts.com), Stephen Allen's (www.mystudebaker.com), SASCO (www.studeparts.com), Ed Reynolds' Studebaker International (www.stdebaker-intl) etc.... Those are all good. Go to Studebakervendors.com to see a more complete list of vendors. I wouldn't necessarily endorse all the ones on that site, nor all the ones listed in Turning Wheels. Oh, JDP is good too, for interior materials (Hey JDP, what's your web address?)

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                      The Red-Headed Amazon

Paul Simpson
                      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
                      The Red-Headed Amazon

Comment

Rock auto isn't really a parts business. They're a computer operation which searches the inventory of dozens, maybe hundreds, of small independent parts stores, mostly Mom-and-Pop. They don't really know what they're selling, since they never see it. Caveat emptor.

Comment

Rock auto isn't really a parts business. They're a computer operation which searches the inventory of dozens, maybe hundreds, of small independent parts stores, mostly Mom-and-Pop. They don't really know what they're selling, since they never see it. Caveat emptor.

Comment

Working...
                          X