Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzzard
    replied
    The exhaust looks to be a true work of art. Congrats and keep the updates coming.
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Kenny, that's looking good. I hope to HEAR it at the upcoming Big Annual Car Show up here in Ferndale in mid Sept. you need to come!
    I would love to find out what a X crossover pipe does for the sound.

Please be aware that all C & K Models do have a formed Rubber Filler Hose that has a built in bend, so it is much better to use a Studebaker Vendor correct hose than have your new straight hose kinked when installed.

Leave a comment:

• drrotor
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2350 (Large).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1696243Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2351 (Large).jpg
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	1696244Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2352 (Large).jpg
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	1696245Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2353 (Large).jpg
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	1696246Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2354 (Large).jpg
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1696247OK, I had to try again. Those pictures from last night were pretty poor. I think these should be much better. And anyway, perhaps they can be good reference pictures for others who may be building up a Hawk in the future and need to see the underside of the car. And they show a little better how nice of a car this is. I'm very happy with it!
    Today I got the freshly re-cored radiator sanded and painted (who knew re-coring a radiator would be so expensive!), trans linkage hooked up and adjusted, and now I'm getting the fuel tank ready for install. Turns out the P.O. had already purchased a new fuel tank sender after all! I found it in a box, and ordered a new modern no-sink float for it from Myer Studebaker today ($9.00). BTW-- NAPA Auto Parts sells the fuel fill hose in 2 1/4" diameter by the foot for those who need some...

Leave a comment:

• showbizkid
    replied
    Wow... it's like getting a "body in white" from the factory and having your way with it Congratulations on the score!

Leave a comment:

• Pat Dilling
    replied
    Wow, nice work on the exhaust, looks great and continues the meticulous work done before. Please take a video once you have her running I'd love to hear it!

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    You have Two options for that Sender, you can get the '58 to'64 C & K sender and drill the hole for the pickup tube and solder in a tube to replicate the original.

Or use the late sender as is, and have a new Line installed in the front of the Tank.

If you get lucky and happen to find a NOS one, it will at least need the Ford Copper Float conversion to survive the Ethanol Fuel.

Leave a comment:

• drrotor
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0734.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1696218Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0735.jpg
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1696219Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0736.jpg
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	1696220Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0737.jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1696221Well here's my first photo update of the build. My friend Sean just finished fabricating the exhaust for Hazel the Hawk, using very high quality stainless tubing, stainless MagnaFlow mufflers, and a stainless "X" pipe in the middle. This system is a work of art. Pictures don't do it justice. We also added stainless Golden Hawk exhaust tips to complete the look.
    The last few weeks I've spent tracking down and purchasing most of the parts we found were missing when we inventoried the car after arriving home with it. We're only missing a few small items now.
    The next task is to get it running. Although the entire powertrain is new, it has never been fired, so we'll see what we've got when we first hear it run. If it runs as good as it looks, we'll be happy! The underside of the car is showroom new, as is the engine, etc. Should be a lot of fun to bring it to life here in a few days. Say-- anybody have a NOS fuel tank sending unit available? I need that in order to permanently install the tank...

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Originally posted by drrotor View Post
    Well, we don't mind the original "Woodsmoke Grey" color, but Kathy wants the car to 'really POP", as she puts it. So seems like she's settling on either Apache Red with Arctic white fins, or possibly turquoise on the bottom half and black on the top half. Probably the red, though. Any opinions on other color combinations (with "POP" in mind)...?
    I have always liked the Woodsmoke gray color; especially on a Hawk. The general design and the fins already provide enough 'pop' as it is.

Craig

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Originally posted by drrotor View Post
    Well, we don't mind the original "Woodsmoke Grey" color, but Kathy wants the car to 'really POP", as she puts it. So seems like she's settling on either Apache Red with Arctic white fins, or possibly turquoise on the bottom half and black on the top half. Probably the red, though. Any opinions on other color combinations (with "POP" in mind)...?
    A neighbor of mine bought a new 1957 Silver Hawk in turquoise and black. He kept it until he bought a new 1966 Cruiser. I never cared for the look of his Silver Hawk. My 1957 President Classic was turquoise and white.
    For "pop", the red and white will do a better job of that.

Be carefull in bringing that newly rebuilt, but stored, engine to life.

Leave a comment:

• dickeedee
    replied
    that is going to be a fantastic project..Look at me! green with envy!

Leave a comment:

• plwindish
    replied
    drrotor, Congratulations on your find and my sympathies to the former owner that knew when enough is enough. Living in the Chicago 'burbs, the prices we are quoted up here are most likely some of the highest in the country. The body looks really great. The red color with white fins is an outstanding combination. There was a red and whit Silver Hawk discussed not too long ago on the forum that had been wrecked in a movie and the production company was finally selling it. I saw the movie but don't recall the name, but the car before it was wrecked looked great in that color combination. Good luck with completing the restoration! Its win-win getting a car your wife likes (not just tolerates), getting a nice car for a good price and having a newly graduated mechanic to help with the work!

Leave a comment:

• Buzzard
    replied
    Two replies here.

Kenny, Congrats on a very unusual find and good luck with the completion. Keep the pics coming. I'm not dissing the Chicago shop, but holy cow-$55,000-I must have been in suspension on star trek for a number of years.

57pack,
    We named our '57 Clipper Wagon " Colette the Clipper" in honor of the wife of the couple who did the body & paint. They were here yesterday viewing same after the return from the upholstery shop and the start of reassembly with some of the many trim pieces reaffixed. They couldn't believe how really stunning she is in her two tone scheme (Coppertone & Arctic white)with all that stainless and chrome. I'll post some pics when I get my act together.
    Cheers, Bill

Leave a comment:

• lark63
    replied
    A red with white fins is a real popper !

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Down here, black is an oven...a challenge for any air conditioner in driving season.

When it comes to color...trust the woman. Red and white will "POP."

Leave a comment:

• drrotor
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X