Paint questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint questions

I have to finish painting my '64 T-cab Champ pick-up which was started by a friend of mine who died.

I'll be applying a non-sanding sealer followed by build primer. After that, the paint, followed by clear coat.

1) What size compressor do I need?
    2) Do I sand the paint between coats?

If you are already not familiar with a compressor you don't have, you may need someone else to do your prep and painting; unless you are embarking on that learning curve that always needs to start somewhere. Please share some more.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

The problem with where you are is you don't know what you don't know. The compressor issue is answered when you find the paint gun you need. It will give the necessary volume and pressure required but there are more important issues like proper breathing protection and types of paint for particular needs.

Let me recommend that you visit websites like Eastwood's and other Googled site on painting as well as prep and protection issues. Where you seem to be is early in the learning curve and an association with a local painter and/or vocational school could be in order.

I'm not trying to discourage you because I've done enough amateur painting to know what I didn't know. The topic requires a long dissertation on many issues but not insurmountable.

I was lucky, my neighbor many moons back was a custom painter and he taught me a lot. Just don't start without enough info to stay safe.

In any case, you can do a good job with the right tools and info. Bob
      , ,

Comment

Thanks guys. I worked with the friend I mentioned who died. We did this from early January through April 2013. I'll explain in the next paragraph why there has been such a break since he died if you want to slog through it. Anyway, I did body repair, mixing, spraying, sanding; cleaning the paint equipment--the whole shot. He was a 30-year mechanic/paint/body man. I was involved in all phases. I just don't remember if we sanded the paint before the clear coat. I know he said the pressure maintenance was important because a changing air/paint mix has been known to effect the color in the paint. Sweetolbob answered one of the two questions--find the gun and you'll find the pressure maintenance requirement. Now, just need to know whether the paint gets sanded.

Why the time gap-- When we did the passenger side fender, the air deflector separated from the fender. It took me several months to find another. The project was a frame-off, so when we got the fender done in November of 2013, I asked him to keep it for me because of storage issues. After he died, his son took all of his business equipment and emptied his house. He would not give me the fender even though his lawyer said it was the right thing to do. To pursue the fender legally was an approximate $3000 civil suit. I took him to small claims court for the cost of a new fender, body work and paint. Magistrate said I sued the wrong person--that I should file against the probate estate of my friend. His son did not have power-of-attorney and my friend left no will. So, neither the son or any other member of the family has filed a probate case, this after now 15 months. I know the son has sold and still has much of his dad's property for sale, and the three other siblings are not sharing in the proceeds.

I have all the materials for the job.
        Last edited by RSykes; 03-22-2015, 11:04 AM. Reason: new info

Comment

IMHO, the air compressor can't be too big. Buy the biggest you can afford. I use 2 of the common 5hp, 12.4cfm @ 90psi that you see everywhere for around $500. I used a separate pressure switch and contractor to control them so they run together and act like 1 bigger compressor. The type gun you choose will dictate the minimum compressor size that you have to have. The problem is that a compressor that is "just big enough" will have to run all the time to keep up with the gun. If a compressor runs too much, you will end up with a lot of moisture in your air which may or may not be removed by your filters / separators / dryers / etc.

If you use a base / clear system, you don't sand the base at any point. Once the base dries for the recommended time, spray your clear. There are a lot of options on how to spray clear. The simplest is to spray all your coats at once and then color sand and buff.
          Wayne
          "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X