Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think studebaker gas pedal and linkage are ok , or could they have improve it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think studebaker gas pedal and linkage are ok , or could they have improve it?

My gas pedal ,it just seems slow and lethlargeic , and I was wondering how yours are ? I drive a 55 president 2door , and I changed the return spring to aftermarket, wondering if this change had a big impact on performance. It certainly isn't a 67 firebird gas pedal ,I'll tell you that. And SI doesn't offered the return spring for a 4 barrel , 259 V8. I'll just stick with the aftermarket one , maybe stretch it out some in the basement.

Well if they had used one like a Nova cable, they could have saved mucho greeno.
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

It's a 60 year old car for goodness sake, cut it some slack (pun intended). I just turned 60 on Thursday, and I too am a little slow and lethargic .
      Jim
      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

The linkage system does leave a lot to be desired especially the ones under the floor.I think a cable system would work a lot better,but that was the way things were done back then.

Jim, I know where you are coming from.I'll be 66 in a few days.Some of my joints have gotten stiff while others are slack. WD40 doesn't seem to help me as much as it does the Studebaker.
        Neil Thornton

Comment

I'm lost on this one. How can a throttle return spring change performance?
          You say it's slow. Do you mean slow to return?
          You have the keep the dirt out of the hinge area at the base of the gas pedal, and keep it oiled in the hinge and all linkage points.
          Last edited by TWChamp; 03-21-2015, 08:35 AM.

Comment

55s had a spring as the linkage, later cars had a much more solid connection. You're right, they "only" last hundreds of thousands of miles, and decades.....what a cheap design!
            Bez Auto Alchemy
            573-318-8948
            http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

One thing to look at is the hinge on the pedal.
              This gets rusted, and gunked up, and can stiffen.
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                55s had a spring as the linkage, later cars had a much more solid connection. You're right, they "only" last hundreds of thousands of miles, and decades.....what a cheap design!
                Are you saying the 55 had a spring between the gas pedal the carb throttle shaft lever, and no solid rod?
                I've never heard of such a thing. Does anyone have a picture of this?

Comment

If the linkage is in a good state of repair, with the correct return springs, and motor and transmission mounts are tight, the mechanical rod type linkage is acceptable. Is it up to todays throttle or fly by wire accelerators standards. Well NO but were talking 60 yr old and older cars. Check all the pivot points and repair or replace where needed. If your engine is moving around on worn motor mounts then the motor will move around enough to cause idle speed to not return to set point consistent.

Originally posted by 14x7 View Post
                  My gas pedal ,it just seems slow and lethlargeic , and I was wondering how yours are ? I drive a 55 president 2door , and I changed the return spring to aftermarket, wondering if this change had a big impact on performance. It certainly isn't a 67 firebird gas pedal ,I'll tell you that. And SI doesn't offered the return spring for a 4 barrel , 259 V8. I'll just stick with the aftermarket one , maybe stretch it out some in the basement.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                  53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                  57 SH (project)
                  60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

I'm not familiar with the differences between the 1955 system and the 1963 design on my GT Hawk, but I've had the original throttle assembly working dual quads since 1970 without any issues. I just keep it cleaned and serviced with light machine oil. If I recall, there are two very light return springs attached at different points.
                    Bill

Comment

On our 1957 Packard we haven't any complaints. We just keep the bell crank assembly clean and lubercated. Still has the original return spring after almost 58 years.
                      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
                      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
                      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

No doubt the real problem here is that after many years of use, every 'hole', where two pieces of throttle linkage are attached to one another, has gone from 'round' to egg shaped (or oval)....This will ruin the geometry, and also the smoothness of operation this linkage once had. Worn parts like these need to be changed or 'restored' to get that linkage working properly again!

Comment

In 1953 there was only a spring between the carb & the bell crank. There is a drawing it in my Chassis Parts Catalog, it is "Plate 03-11" but the reference number does not translate to an actual part number.
                          I took a photo of an original 1953 Commander coupe at the last International Meet in South Bend with the throttle spring in place, but wouldn't you know it... I cannot find that memory card right now.
                          That had to be ONE BAD IDEA!

Comment

I switched over to the GM cable decades ago. Never looked back. The cable style will not be activated by loose or separated motor mounts. The cable mounts on the carb base so the distance between the mount and the throttle remains constant. The mechanical linkage is just too sloppy.
                            sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                              I switched over to the GM cable decades ago. Never looked back. The cable style will not be activated by loose or separated motor mounts. The cable mounts on the carb base so the distance between the mount and the throttle remains constant. The mechanical linkage is just too sloppy.
                              Not if it's in 'as new' condition

Comment

Working...
                              X