Transtar???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transtar???

We've probably discussed this before, but...I'm old. JRoberts' post of the picture below, shows the Studebaker commercial vehicle offerings at a Chicago auto show, brought back some memories.

Between my return from Vietnam, and figuring out how to get into college(1969-1970), I attended a truck driving school and drove big rigs. At that time, I didn't have a Studebaker, rarely even gave them a glance, and was pretty dismissive toward them. Seems like the first time I ever saw the words "TRANSTAR" was on an International brand truck. It could have been spelled something like TranStar, but it was Transtar.

My thinking is that, in the late sixties and early seventies, Studebaker was probably still cleaning and tidying up it's corporate clutter. Seeing this picture made me wonder...when did International grab this great name for a truck? How soon? Wonder if this event influenced them? Who owns the names? What if another company wants to produce a new car with the names "Trans Am" or "Star Chief," or "Fury?"
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Trademark registrations must be renewed each year, so I imagine that Studebaker's trademark of the word Transtar expired in either 1964 or 65. International started using it in 1965, perhaps even with Stude's permission, since Stude certainly wasn't gonna use it any more. There was even a regional airline in the late 80s with the name TranStar (not sure one registration covers all spelling variants, so maybe there was no problem with International). I believe International still uses TranStar on some models.
    Skip Lackie

Comment

That Truck Show sure is not your normal mostly Vehicles only type of Car Show display, seems very cluttered with non-vehicle STUFF!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

IH had a regular fleet of "Star" vehicles. In addition to Transtar, they also had the Loadstar, Fleetstar and Cargostar.
        Last edited by Guido; 03-19-2015, 07:34 PM.
        Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
          IH had a regular fleet of "Star" vehicles. In addition to Transtar, they also had the Loadstar, Fleetstar and Cargostar.
          It still continues to this day with the current Lonestar, Durastar, Paystar, Prostar, Workstar, Terrastar, and yes, Transtar!! http://www.internationaltrucks.com/t...ries/terrastar
          Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            It still continues to this day with the current Lonestar, and Terrastar.

Craig
            And all built by Navistar.
            Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

Comment

I would love to have that taxi! Only problem would be folks would always be asking for a ride!
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                That Truck Show sure is not your normal mostly Vehicles only type of Car Show display, seems very cluttered with non-vehicle STUFF!
                I'm thinking the same thing, Rich. It appears to be a trade show geared to the owner-operator, where driving is their occupation; not a general public event. Truxpo comes to mind, looking at this.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                  Trademark registrations must be renewed each year, so I imagine that Studebaker's trademark of the word Transtar expired in either 1964 or 65. International started using it in 1965, perhaps even with Stude's permission, since Stude certainly wasn't gonna use it any more. There was even a regional airline in the late 80s with the name TranStar (not sure one registration covers all spelling variants, so maybe there was no problem with International). I believe International still uses TranStar on some models.
                  This discussion reminds me of the SDC international meet in 1979, held at the Queen Mary in Long Beach CA. Bill Dredge, retired from Studebaker as head of public relations, was the keynote speaker at the banquet. I recall a comment Dredge made about a brief conversation he had with his counterpart/colleague at Dodge following the shutdown of South Bend. Dredge's friend had telephoned and requested his approval to use the Challenger and Daytona names for planned Dodge products. Dredge granted immediate, verbal approval to take the names. Well, some of us may agree that the mention today of Challenger or Daytona in mainstream collector car circles likely does not evoke images and thoughts of hot Studebakers ... among mainstream car collectors, that is.

Rich G.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeB View Post
                    This discussion reminds me of the SDC international meet in 1979, held at the Queen Mary in Long Beach CA. Bill Dredge, retired from Studebaker as head of public relations, was the keynote speaker at the banquet. I recall a comment Dredge made about a brief conversation he had with his counterpart/colleague at Dodge following the shutdown of South Bend. Dredge's friend had telephoned and requested his approval to use the Challenger and Daytona names for planned Dodge products. Dredge granted immediate, verbal approval to take the names. Well, some of us may agree that the mention today of Challenger or Daytona in mainstream collector car circles likely does not evoke images and thoughts of hot Studebakers ... among mainstream car collectors, that is.

Rich G.
                    Wow, you have a great memory Rich. I too attended that meet and renewed acquaintances with Bill Dredge, who is long since deceased. Bill certainly had an excellent list of contacts in the industry and I learned a lot from him. When people see my Daytona Convertible today the Dodge reference often comes up. My answer is simple....Studebaker had those brand names long before Dodge.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Jiffy Quiz!! What company used the Loadstar name for a truck long before IH?

There is a European trucking company named Transtar.

Terry

Comment

Originally posted by dictator27 View Post
                        Jiffy Quiz!! What company used the Loadstar name for a truck long before IH?
                        How about Austin?

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                          How about Austin?

Terry

Comment

Working...
                          X