Question on 50 Commander and 50 Champion front clip interchange parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on 50 Commander and 50 Champion front clip interchange parts

Ok guys,I know the 50 Commander has a much longer hood and fenders to account for the longer wheelbase,along with a much larger headlight bezel with larger park lights, but what front clip parts are the same between 50 Commanders,and the 50 champions? Are the grilles, the same for both models? Do the hood "eyebrows" interchange between the two of them? Is the hood latch panel that bolts to the core support the same? To my blind eye a lot of these parts I mentioned look to be the same,just going off of pictures.

The grills are different, the front panels are different, the hood latch panel is different. If you ignored the difference in the frame lengths you could in theory interchange the front clips as the cowls are the same but you could never get them to fit on the frames. The eyebrows have different part numbers across the two.
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Nothing will fit. Even the eyebrows are bigger and fatter.

Comment

The center bullet and light bulbs must be the only part then that will interchange.

Comment

I must ask, what are you trying to do? My car is a 52 commander hard top and with the right parts you can put a 50 bullet nose on it.
          Are you trying to figure out the right combination of parts to modify something?

Dean.

Comment

One would think since the commander front clip is larger than the champ the commander grills would be larger but the fact is that the commander grills are smaller. The hood ornament and emblem and bullet are the same
            Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
            1961 Hawk 4-speed
            1967 Avanti
            1961 Lark 2 door
            1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
              I must ask, what are you trying to do? My car is a 52 commander hard top and with the right parts you can put a 50 bullet nose on it./Cut/Dean.
              I think you could only put a '50 CHAMPION or any '51 front clip on a '52.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                I think you could only put a '50 CHAMPION or any '51 front clip on a '52.
                Yes. I don't know if it is the only option but it is one that works.
                51 champion front fenders and the 50 champion center piece.

I bought it with the parts already collected and ready to go including a complete 50 dash.
                I have to say I like the commander (big) fenders more but as mentioned it doesn't work.

Easily anyway.

Dean.

Comment

Sorry guys, A chrome 50 bullet nose piece will not fit on a 1951 bullet nose . hole on a 1951 is smaller vs a 1950 hole (much larger).. Already tried.

Comment

Royvaldez - While your statement is accurate, I think the previous poster meant the whole '50 bullet, not just the center piece inside the "STUDEBAKER" ring. His use of the word "center" likely confused things.
                    ~Matt Connor
                    '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Dean, to answer your question on what exactly I'm asking this question for, is I am putting a 50 Champ front clip on my 49 Starlight, and the 50 front clip I have, needs a few things replaced and I've found a 50 Commander on a c/l posting, that looks like it has a few things I could use, but after reading all the replies I now know that the parts I was hoping would fit on a 50 Champ,indeed do not fit.Thanks for all the replies everybody,I guess the search continues. lol

Comment

Originally posted by unclemiltie View Post
                        One would think since the commander front clip is larger than the champ the commander grills would be larger but the fact is that the commander grills are smaller. The hood ornament and emblem and bullet are the same
                        The 1950 Champion has a shark fin, while the 1950 Commander has a rocket ship in a Chrome V for the hood ornament.

Comment

Working...
                        X