Why So Few?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why So Few?

I own a 53 coupe, when I go to different car shows, I'll see 50/51s, I'll see the various Lark models, I'll see the 60s GT Hawks, and of course Avantis.
    Hardly ever do I see a md 50s Stude, especially the 53 and 54.
    As far as I can tell there is only 1 other 53 in a 200mi radius.
    I went to a big show where Stude was the featured marque , and I think there were possibly only 3 mid 50s Studes, plus many of the aforementioned.

Did they produce less than the other years Stude cars ,just curious, anyone have an idea?
    Last edited by johnod; 03-15-2015, 10:06 AM.

Johnod,
    Having a rare among the rare just gives us more braggin rights. When I take the 56J to a local cruise in, or to a Stude meet, I tell folks, "Studebakers are rare, but THIS one is a rare Studebaker"

Comment

That, plus the fact that many mid-50s C/Ks were rodded, customized and raced.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

I don't mind having a rare car at all,
        As far as hotrods, I like them, and my original question applies to stock or mod alike..

Comment

Unfortunately, back in the day, the original '53-'54 Studebaker coupes and hardtops, (C/K's), as pretty as they were, never had very strong resale value, hence, the vast majority of them were 'scrapped' early on, sometimes for the most trivial reasons, whereas the 'popular' Chevys and Fords were fixed up and kept on the road. That's one reason it's somewhat rare to see these now 'sought after' Studebaker models.

Comment

But wouldn't the same apply to 50/51s, and Larks etc?

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
              But wouldn't the same apply to 50/51s, and Larks etc?
              Yes it would, but Studebaker made many more '50-'51's,...and of course Larks, than '53-'54 C/K's.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                Yes it would, but Studebaker made many more '50-'51's,...and of course Larks, than '53-'54 C/K's.
                They did make more 50/51s then?
                I figured there were more larks, but didn't know about the earlier models.

Comment

Have only seen one 53/54 at the numerous non-Stude car shows I have attended since 2009. It was a '53 last December in west Phoenix area. Less than half as many 54's were made as 53's so they are extremely rare. Interestingly, our '53 custom is often recognized as a Stude though its resemblance to 56 Tbirds confuses some.
                  Tim-'53 Starlight Commander Custom and '63 Avanti in Yuma, AZ
                  https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/53-resurrection https://www.jimsrodshop.com/project/always-ahead

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                    They did make more 50/51s then?
                    I figured there were more larks, but didn't know about the earlier models.
                    I believe 1950 was Studebakers 'best ever' automobile production year...but correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Comment

50/51 was a banner year model run, fer sher. And the Larks also sold very well. But it still does not seem right that the 53s thru 59s collectively are still not represented well when at any sort of car show. Its certainly a peculiar aspect of Studes being shown.
                      I for one, love the fact that when I go to almost any of the local car shows, my 54 is the only one there. One time I parked next to a very nice 69 Camaro in my beater 54. When my drew a crowd around it, the Camaro moved. Jealousy is an ugly thing.
                      sals54

Comment

Most of my Studes are 1950 and that was always my favorite, but when I visited the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend last September and spotted that white 1953 Champion Starlite, I may now have a new favorite. As mentioned, 1950 was Studebaker's peak sales year, but I find it strange that at almost any car show it's hard to find Studes of any year. The same goes for trying to find Stude parts at swap meets.

Comment

Originally posted by TWChamp View Post
                          Most of my Studes are 1950 and that was always my favorite, but when I visited the Studebaker National Museum in South Bend last September and spotted that white 1953 Champion Starlite, I may now have a new favorite. As mentioned, 1950 was Studebaker's peak sales year, but I find it strange that at almost any car show it's hard to find Studes of any year. The same goes for trying to find Stude parts at swap meets.
                          Yes that a nice 53, I bought a post card of it, it' on the fridge now.

Comment

For the decade of the 1950's, I think Studebaker's car production was approximately 2.4% of domestic output. With small production numbers there were not many then and even fewer today.
                            Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

If it is any comfort, I just purchased a 1955 President State Sedan in very nice shape and plan to take it to as many events as I can fit into my schedule. I'll be posting some photos of it on the Forum soon. Ironically, the car came with one car show plaque. It was an award for "Impressive Import". Make of that what you will. My first car was a '55 Commander and I sure wish I still owned it. (Lyle, if you read this, I told you I would be sharing this story. It's just too funny).
                              Ed Sallia
                              Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Working...
                              X