How many Hawks were built for export with V8's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Hawks were built for export with V8's

How many Hawks were built for export with V8's. I have looked around and could not find the answer. I found that they used 6 cylinder engines for export cars. Nothing was mentioned about V8 engines.

i watched this video earlier today with quite a bit of Hawk info, including some export info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDN8HhMCc3I
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Are you interested in a particular year or series of Hawks?
      The only thing that I found right off, besides export Hawks coming with six cylinder engines, is that some export Hawks for 1960, 1962, 1963 and 1964 had 259 cid V8s when the USA versions had 289 cid V8s.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by RDWEAVER View Post
        How many Hawks were built for export with V8's. I have looked around and could not find the answer. I found that they used 6 cylinder engines for export cars. Nothing was mentioned about V8 engines.
        Hi, Below is an exerpt from an article about Studebakers in Oz. It appears nearly all the Larks were V111's. I imagine most Hawks were also V8's. Mine is. Vroom Vroom!

259 cubic inch V8. In standard two-barrel form this unitclaimed 180 brake horsepower but
        there was a four-barrel, dual exhaust variant which addedanother 15. Equipped with this
        engine an otherwise standard Lark could reach 114.65 milesper hour down Conrod Straight

In Australia the fully imported Lark got off to a greatstart. For 1958 Studebaker-Packard

122 for 1959 and 199 (23 of which were wagons) for 1960.Late that year Canada Cycle &
        Motor Co, the Victorian distributor, began production fromCKD kits and the price dropped
        from $5200 to less than $3400. Despite the credit squeeze,509 Larks found homes in 1961.
        In January 1962 the Lark gained a more formal connectionwith members of Victoria Police.
        Coincidentally or not, in January a Lark joined the wirelesspatrol fleet. No fewer than 318
        werebought for this purpose until 1967 when the XR Falcon essentially replaced theLark.
        Some Larks were also used by the NSW and ACT police forcesbut not as famously as the

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
          Are you interested in a particular year or series of Hawks?
          The only thing that I found right off, besides export Hawks coming with six cylinder engines, is that some export Hawks for 1960, 1962, 1963 and 1964 had 259 cid V8s when the USA versions had 289 cid V8s.

Gary,
          Ours is a 1959 model. It had a 259 with a (head package) and 4 bbl. dual exhaust. I was wondering why they always mentioned the 6 cyl. in print (brochures etc)
          but I have seen more v8 export cars than 6's. Our head package amounted to low compression heads. It seems they were not sure of octane ratings overseas back then and would rather error on the safe side.

Comment

Originally posted by Nox
            Imagen Golden Hawk without V8...

I can't imagine any Hawk in todays traffic with a six cylinder. But I am certain there are some. It was very common in the late 50's to equip your auto with one of the proven reliable 6 cylinder engine. The 6 was 135 dollars less. That leads me to another question, how many Hawks in 59 were built with six cylinder engines? If someone answers this I can do the math and figure out my other question.
            Thanks,
            Kevin
            Last edited by RDWEAVER; 03-16-2015, 08:32 PM. Reason: added text

Comment

I remember looking for my first Studebaker in the late 60's. A dealer had me drive a 57 6cyl Hawk with automatic. Slowest car I have ever driven.

Denny L

Comment

I can't imagine any Hawk in todays traffic with a six cylinder. But I am certain there are some.
                My 63 does well, thanks to the 3.73 rear axle. It lacks an overdrive to go over 60 but, as I prefer little back roads, this is not very important. Besides, I don't think that the little drums would do very well in case of high speed braking. I saw some V8 models in D'Ieteren's listings but I think that they mostly built 6 cylinders models due to high taxes and the price of gasoline (at least, in France!). Oddly, I discovered recently that the European production took a dive after the introduction of the Lark. Obviously, they prefered Champions, Commanders, and Presidents in Europe.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rdweaver View Post
                  that leads me to another question, how many hawks in 59 were built with six cylinder engines? If someone answers this i can do the math and figure out my other question.
                  Thanks,
                  kevin
                  6- 2417
                  v-8- 5371
                  Last edited by Bob Langer; 03-17-2015, 08:42 AM.
                  Bob Langer
                  Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Gary,
                    Ours is a 1959 model. It had a 259 with a (head package) and 4 bbl. dual exhaust. I was wondering why they always mentioned the 6 cyl. in print (brochures etc)
                    but I have seen more v8 export cars than 6's. Our head package amounted to low compression heads. It seems they were not sure of octane ratings overseas back then and would rather error on the safe side.
                    I didn't mention 1959 because all V8 Hawks in 1959 were 259s.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It seems I've been lucky to grow up in Sweden since France, Belgium & Holland must have had some tax-system that pushed for smaller engines.
                      I've seen many full-size US cars from Belgium with only 6-cyl engines in, as if that would lead to lesser fuel-consumption?
                      A BIG car with small engine will have to use more fuel to get rolling & in small countries like Belgium & Holland there wasn't much long-driving so I wonder how they figured...
                      Thou: I've been wrong before!

Comment

Hi guys,
                        shed loads of V8 cars went to South Africa and in Oz all you could get was a V8.
                        A few special imported cars went into Oz with a 6 banger.

D'Iteren did sell V8's in Belgium and if you were lucky enough to own one that was a Belgium assembled car, you probably had a leather interior as standard. The Belgium assembled cars are far better than the US assembled cars. Loads of the 6cyl cars are about and they were standard with OD from D'Iteren. Most of the people that own the later 6cyl Hawks can travel at 60 to 70mph so I can't think it is that much of a problem, but I have never driven a 6cyl Hawk, so I can't comment on how slow they are. I am about to find out how my 6 banger 60 ragtop goes if I ever get the darned thing out of the workshop. It is imminent.

If you want to know how many were built just go to the SB museum and do a check of the production orders yourself. The CKD ones stand out as they are on yellow cards and are easy to tally up.

Greg
                        Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
                        1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
                        1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
                        1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
                        1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
                        1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
                        1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

D'Ieteren (correct spelling) was a Belgium company that assembled Studebakers and Volkswagens.

They closed in 1965 but subsidiaries still exist.
                          They have a very interesting history.
                          Google the name and plenty of Studebakers are shown.
                          They would built your Studebaker the way you wanted.
                          I saw a 6 cylinder 1961 Hawk without the fins that D'Ieteren built.
                          It used the 1955/56 tail lights.
                          The car was owned by Peter Kennis in Holland and I wonder what ever happened to the car.
                          I grew up in Holland and was fascinated by the Studebakers.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by go-studebaker View Post
                            /Cut/Most of the people that own the later 6 cyl Hawks can travel at 60 to 70 mph so I can't think it is that much of a problem, but I have never driven a 6 cyl Hawk, so I can't comment on how slow they are. Greg
                            Actually Greg, over 60 MPH IS a Problem with Auto. or Standard Trans. because the 3.73 Standard Axle Ratio will not let you do that without overheating and Engine damage. With overdrive, NO Problem. Same with the Larks.

This is especially true if the "Later" we are talking about, includes the '61-'64 OHV Six.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Gary,
                              ditto Australian Hawks. My Oz 63 Hawk (CKD kit) has the 582 truck head as standard.

Comment

Working...
                              X