Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Golden Hawk by any other name! How about Speedhawk? It almost was!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Golden Hawk by any other name! How about Speedhawk? It almost was!

Some inter-factory communication regarding proposed 1956 Studebaker car etc. names. Note particularly the original names proposed for the Hawk series (i.e. Speedhawk, Firehawk). How many other names do you see that never made the cut? Do not believe this info has ever been published.

Click image for larger version

Name:	56 car names1 composite.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	1746513
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Interesting indeed, Dick: Only one of the Hawk names proposed as late as July 5, 1955 made it to production: Skyhawk. And even then, it was one word, not two. Flitehawk got changed to Flight Hawk, too.

Also note the Golden Hawk engine was to be the Speedway 352, not Sky Power 352.

Good find! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I always felt that the '57 Golden-Silver Hawk series names was less 'confusing' than the '56 'unconnected' four names for the Hawk series. Simply put, by 1957 Studebaker had things sorted out!

Comment

No mention of a President series Station wagon although the Pinehurst name is there. Also, no mention of Yellowstone in the colors. Very interesting piece of literature!

Comment

Dick, very interesting! When were the 56's introduced ? Stude must of had to scramble to get the name registered, tooling done, materials printed, etc.
          Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
          \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

A half dozen built the last days of Sept. Dealer showings on '56's did not start until November. Lots of unsold '55s still in dealer stock at the time. In fact some Speedsters still unsold well into 1956.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Daybreak Blue has a nice ring to it.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Going through our 'Studes in Roadside Americana photos' my eye was caught by that prominent movie bill-board for the 1952 swashbuckler movie 'The Golden Hawk', (appearing on that billing simply as 'Golden Hawk') and couldn't help but thinking that the movie name may have provided a bit of unrecognized inspiration and impetus to the selection of the 'Hawk' series of names. But then strange that a 'Golden' Hawk was not even among these initial selections.
                Last edited by Jessie J.; 03-14-2015, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Studebaker's 1956 decision making certainly had its oddities.....Apparently, even Studebaker dealers were upset the company didn't have a 'real' gold colored paint for the '56 Golden Hawk....Let's face it, 1956 'Sunglow Gold' is a really a mustard yellow!

Comment

I imagine "Flitehawk" was changed due to similarity with then-current MoPar nomenclature.

And didn't Pontiac use "Firehawk" as a sport-model J-body in the '80s?

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

It was a Buick Firehawk, Clark. You were probably thinking of Pontiac's Firebird. BP
                      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

You're right, Bob! Would've made more sense as a Pontiac moniker, though

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          It was a Buick Firehawk, Clark. You were probably thinking of Pontiac's Firebird. BP
                          There was a third generation F-body Pontiac Firehawk.

Craig

Comment

Yes, while it was not a well known "option", the Firehawk was a product of SLP (Street Legal Performance) and available thru Pontiac dealerships.
                            For a couple of years they did performance upgrades to the Firebird and came as a complete package.

I had a co-worker who was a car guy. One day I asked him what he was driving, because he had a few performance vehicles. He said a Firehawk. I was surprised & said "A Firehawk?", because I always liked those cars. Then he started to explain what it was. I interrupted him and said, "yes from SLP Engineering". Then he said, you really do know cars. So that made me feel good.

I just looked and there are some Firehawk websites out there, tracking the cars.

Here is a Car and Driver review.

Keeping Studebaker's alive
                            Stude-Preferred
                            Last edited by Stude-Preferred; 03-18-2015, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Interesting. Always have to kick around ideas.

Comment

Working...
                              X