No announcement yet.

Considering This 62 Hawk GT - Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering This 62 Hawk GT - Opinions?

I saw this GT last summer at a car show near where I live north of Toronto. The owner had a for sale sign and was asking $25G but I spoke with him today and he will take $18G. It has had a high quality body job, Turner disc brakes, dual master cylinder, new interior (including power windows), rear axles replaced with flanged (better?) and working AC. I haven't even seen under the hood yet but I spoke with his friend that day who also has a 62 GT and he said no expense was spared on the car! I am stretching the budget even at $18G so what should I be looking for and does it seem worth the money?
    Attached Files

You are way ahead getting this one rather than trying to do as much work on a builder. I'd be proud to park beside you.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

BTW, my American cousins, that's $18G Canadian, about $15G of your current green ones. It would probably appraise in for insurance purposes at $30,000 CDN.

Comment

Kevin, any other modifications than those that are obvious....wheels, steering wheel, radio. Is this a South Bend built car?

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
          BTW, my American cousins, that's $18G Canadian, about $15G of your current green ones. It would probably appraise in for insurance purposes at $30,000 CDN.
          $15G seems like a good price for the Hawk IF it is what you want. Do the modifications bother you? We do not even know what the engine is. Is it still Studebaker powered?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It is, Gary. Kevin posted about this same car last summer (when the pics were taken). It has a few mods, but is basically all 62 GT

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
              Kevin, any other modifications than those that are obvious....wheels, steering wheel, radio. Is this a South Bend built car?

Stu Chapman
              I am even wondering what it has for an engine.

I believe that it is probably a South Bend built car (for USA consumption [not export]) due to the painted (not chrome) side grilles on a 1962 Hawk.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It is a Studebaker 289 but that is all I know at this point. When I go and take a look I will post the VIN number and more info on the car. I only saw the car once last summer and it certainly is a sharp looking car in person but the owner is quite senior and very sociable and was more interested in cruising around looking at all of the other cars and chatting with the owners, he's a very nice fellow. I got most of the info about the car from his friend who was sitting behind his 62 GT. His friend claimed the car had won best in show a few times as the paint is very nice on the car. I am a little concerned about some of the mods such as power windows, steering wheel and not sure about the rims but that could all be dealt with at a later time I suppose. I did note that it was leaking some oil but that seems perfectly normal! I do know the car came from southern Pennsylvania prior to it's time in Canada so it is almost certainly a South Bend produced car. I appreciate all of the input.

Like I said I will add more info when I go and see the car.

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                  Dave, we would make a nice display of Studebakers at the local show n shine eh????

Comment

Originally posted by Kato View Post
                    It is a Studebaker 289 but that is all I know at this point. When I go and take a look I will post the VIN number and more info on the car. I only saw the car once last summer and it certainly is a sharp looking car in person but the owner is quite senior and very sociable and was more interested in cruising around looking at all of the other cars and chatting with the owners, he's a very nice fellow. I got most of the info about the car from his friend who was sitting behind his 62 GT. His friend claimed the car had won best in show a few times as the paint is very nice on the car. I am a little concerned about some of the mods such as power windows, steering wheel and not sure about the rims but that could all be dealt with at a later time I suppose. I did note that it was leaking some oil but that seems perfectly normal! I do know the car came from southern Pennsylvania prior to it's time in Canada so it is almost certainly a South Bend produced car. I appreciate all of the input.

Like I said I will add more info when I go and see the car.
                    As Gary noted it has painted side grilles which would ID it as a South Bend car but my thought about it being South Bend is the cloth upholstery rather than vinyl which was a Canadian feature.

At the rate the Canadian dollar is dropping you're now looking at closer to $14,000 U.S. It certainly is a good looking car with AC to boot. Check to see if it's still using the old refrigerant. When you get the VIN number check the GT Hawk Registry to see if it's there.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Kato Nice looking GT. To buy a GT needing a complete restore and bring it up to what this one looks like it is from the pictures you will easy have $45,000 to 50,000 if you have someone else do all the work so I would say it's a good buy.

Comment

You can't build one for that price. Anything you don't like can be changed at a later date. In my opinion, if the power windows were installed properly and look nice, I would keep them.
                        Jamie McLeod
                        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                        1958 Commander "Christine"
                        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                        1955 Commander Sedan
                        1964 Champ
                        1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                          As Gary noted it has painted side grilles which would ID it as a South Bend car but my thought about it being South Bend is the cloth upholstery rather than vinyl which was a Canadian feature.

At the rate the Canadian dollar is dropping you're now looking at closer to $14,000 U.S. It certainly is a good looking car with AC to boot. Check to see if it's still using the old refrigerant. When you get the VIN number check the GT Hawk Registry to see if it's there.

Stu Chapman
                          Stu,

I posted about the car last summer and someone mentioned the interior not being correct for the car but I must say it looks very good. The carpet is new and I believe the head liner as well. I'll find out more when I go and look at it.

Comment

Kato, I am in 100% agreement with those who say this is well worth the $15K US. But, being the used car salesman I am, I would bring $12K in US hundred dollar bills and see if he could be enticed out of it for that. It never hurts to ask.
                            (or do the math and bring Canadian. Either way, make a good offer and see if he takes it. But have cash on hand while negotiating.)
                            Good Luck.
                            sals54

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                              Kato Nice looking GT. To buy a GT needing a complete restore and bring it up to what this one looks like it is from the pictures you will easy have $45,000 to 50,000 if you have someone else do all the work so I would say it's a good buy.
                              Yes, I absolutely agree.

Comment

Working...
                              X