Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT ENGINE

WHAT KIND OF ENGINE FOR A 51 STARLIGHT COUPE HOT ROD[?]

Whatever you want <G>. Since it is to be a modified regular driver, I would go with a late Chevrolet V-8 with a fuel injection set-up.

Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Whatever you want <G>. Since it is to be a modified regular driver, I would go with a late Chevrolet V-8 with a fuel injection set-up.

Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

It truely is up to you, but I love to see such cars with a hot rod Studebaker engine. Not necessarily a supercharged engine but a strong carburetor motor would be just fine, maybe with two dueces or some such thing.

Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Editor of "The Down Easterner"
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser

Comment

It truely is up to you, but I love to see such cars with a hot rod Studebaker engine. Not necessarily a supercharged engine but a strong carburetor motor would be just fine, maybe with two dueces or some such thing.

Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Editor of "The Down Easterner"
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser

Comment

Nick...
            Welcome to the forum...
            If this is your first Studebaker, then you have found a great place for information about your Stude.
            But it isn't necessarily a great place to ask how to build up a hot rod Stude.

Hot rods, by nature are a reflection on the individual builders tates, and fabricatng abilities.

Some people have great idea's, and no fabricating abilities.
            Some people just want to write the check and get it done.
            Some people can't afford the hobby and have to cut corners or swap and trade their way along...
            No one process has all the benefits and none of the pain that it takes to 'build' a Stude.

You will find that most of the people here prefer their Stude's stock, or only lightly modified.
            That's fine.
            There are decades of knowledge here.
            What almost everyone here will agree on is that a Studebaker should NOT just be slapped together on the cheap.
            Treat her like a nice lady that has had a hard working life.
            She'll appreciate all the attention and loving care you give to her.
            She will treat you well in her retirement years....
            Slap her together, and she'll bite you.

Just put a realistic plan together for what you want, and set goals.
            Working toward the goal makes the journey that much more fun!
            Good luck....and do good work.
            Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by nickaboni2

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Nick...
              Welcome to the forum...
              If this is your first Studebaker, then you have found a great place for information about your Stude.
              But it isn't necessarily a great place to ask how to build up a hot rod Stude.

Hot rods, by nature are a reflection on the individual builders tates, and fabricatng abilities.

Some people have great idea's, and no fabricating abilities.
              Some people just want to write the check and get it done.
              Some people can't afford the hobby and have to cut corners or swap and trade their way along...
              No one process has all the benefits and none of the pain that it takes to 'build' a Stude.

You will find that most of the people here prefer their Stude's stock, or only lightly modified.
              That's fine.
              There are decades of knowledge here.
              What almost everyone here will agree on is that a Studebaker should NOT just be slapped together on the cheap.
              Treat her like a nice lady that has had a hard working life.
              She'll appreciate all the attention and loving care you give to her.
              She will treat you well in her retirement years....
              Slap her together, and she'll bite you.

Just put a realistic plan together for what you want, and set goals.
              Working toward the goal makes the journey that much more fun!
              Good luck....and do good work.
              Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by nickaboni2

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

h ave donea frame up total restoration of a 63 full package hawk
                want this car to be absolutely awesome
                and cost is not the main concern quality is

Comment

h ave donea frame up total restoration of a 63 full package hawk
                  want this car to be absolutely awesome
                  and cost is not the main concern quality is

Comment

Early Cadillac V8 is an easy swap, can be made to look good, too. I've seen one with a 3800 supercharged Buick V6 that looked OK. If you are going for a big power engine, you need to replace the rear end as well, as the little Dana 27 will not hold up well for long. You should also be looking at a disk brake conversion with a dual master cylinder as well. Good luck with your hot rod project.

Comment

Early Cadillac V8 is an easy swap, can be made to look good, too. I've seen one with a 3800 supercharged Buick V6 that looked OK. If you are going for a big power engine, you need to replace the rear end as well, as the little Dana 27 will not hold up well for long. You should also be looking at a disk brake conversion with a dual master cylinder as well. Good luck with your hot rod project.

Comment

Studebaker V8
                        Small Block Chevy
                        Big Block Chevy
                        Nail Head Buick
                        Chrysler Hemi
                        Desoto Hemi
                        Dodge Hemi
                        Early Cadillac
                        Late Cadillac
                        Northstar
                        New Gen Chevy V8
                        Olds Rocket V8
                        FE Ford

(probably missed a few of my favorites )

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Studebaker V8
                          Small Block Chevy
                          Big Block Chevy
                          Nail Head Buick
                          Chrysler Hemi
                          Desoto Hemi
                          Dodge Hemi
                          Early Cadillac
                          Late Cadillac
                          Northstar
                          New Gen Chevy V8
                          Olds Rocket V8
                          FE Ford

(probably missed a few of my favorites )

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm not sure if you're biased towards any American make or not, but I know I am! Aside from the "wierd or freak" cars i've had in the past, when it comes down to one of the big 3, i'll always be a Ford guy. A 302 small block is extremely versatile, and with the distributor on the front it could help out with firewall clearance issues. This can also assist you with moving the engine a little further back. You can stroke the 302 to a 347 and get a ton of power and torque out of it. They make great nitrous motors as well.

I crammed a 302 in my little '68 Triumph GT6 without any major issues. It looked like a totally stock car from the outside, and with all the aluminum accessories I had on the engine, it weight 100 pounds less than the iron block straight six that was in it. The car also ran 11's on street tires on a moderately agressive tune. In my opinion, the Chevy 350 is a great engine, but it's a bit over done in the aftermarket crowd. It's common for a reason, they're cheap and good engines. They're just not for me. I like my little 302's, and for swaps you couldn't ask for much more... unless you're wanting a dragster but that's a totally different story.

I'm not going to say that a Chevy being 100% cheaper to hotrod than a Ford is a wives tale (years ago it was true)... but if you really look at prices on Summit racing or some other speed shop catalog, quality parts are going to cost about the same for both Chevy or Ford. You can find cheap hot rod parts for both makes too, and even those are priced pretty equally. Now if you're talking big blocks, yes the Chevy's are cheaper. I'll admit to that one. lol

Just my 2 cents...[^]

Chris Salisbury
                            Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Comment

I'm not sure if you're biased towards any American make or not, but I know I am! Aside from the "wierd or freak" cars i've had in the past, when it comes down to one of the big 3, i'll always be a Ford guy. A 302 small block is extremely versatile, and with the distributor on the front it could help out with firewall clearance issues. This can also assist you with moving the engine a little further back. You can stroke the 302 to a 347 and get a ton of power and torque out of it. They make great nitrous motors as well.

I crammed a 302 in my little '68 Triumph GT6 without any major issues. It looked like a totally stock car from the outside, and with all the aluminum accessories I had on the engine, it weight 100 pounds less than the iron block straight six that was in it. The car also ran 11's on street tires on a moderately agressive tune. In my opinion, the Chevy 350 is a great engine, but it's a bit over done in the aftermarket crowd. It's common for a reason, they're cheap and good engines. They're just not for me. I like my little 302's, and for swaps you couldn't ask for much more... unless you're wanting a dragster but that's a totally different story.

I'm not going to say that a Chevy being 100% cheaper to hotrod than a Ford is a wives tale (years ago it was true)... but if you really look at prices on Summit racing or some other speed shop catalog, quality parts are going to cost about the same for both Chevy or Ford. You can find cheap hot rod parts for both makes too, and even those are priced pretty equally. Now if you're talking big blocks, yes the Chevy's are cheaper. I'll admit to that one. lol

Just my 2 cents...[^]

Chris Salisbury
                              Hutto/Austin, TX

1958 Commander Starlight Hardtop

Comment

Working...
                              X