'64 Hawk color combos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '64 Hawk color combos

I'm doing a bit of daydreaming on a '64 Hawk... what color combos of body and vinyl roof were offered? Did they offer a painted roof in a different color that the body? What was offered and what looked good?
    Ron Dame
    '63 Champ

I like them painted white with the black vinyl sport roof option. An all vinyl interior in blue is the icing on the cake!<G>

Comment

The half-vinyl roof was available only in black and white. Each was standard with some colors, but was optional with most others. Black tended to be standard with lighter colors, and white with darker colors.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

OK these answers will be highly OPINIONATED!

My favorite is Blue all Vinyl Interior, Strato Blue Metallic Exterior with White Vinyl Sport Roof.
        Number TWO choice would be Laguna Blue Metallic with same, same.

I could find nothing in the Dealers Showroom Book that mentions which if any Body Color limitations were on the availability of White or Black Vinyl roofs.

Since both White and Black are neutral colors that do not clash with any other Colors, I guess you could order either on whatever.
        I just would not recommend Black on Black or White on White, no contrast, no beauty.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I've seen Brooks Stevens' own '64 GT at South Bend a couple times--black with black vinyl top. A real nice car, but you're right Rich--no contrast.

Personally, I'd pick Jet Green with a black vinyl sports roof, but although I complain about red generally, the '64 Bordeaux Red is a tad darker than bright red and looks nice with a black vinyl sports roof.

I also like Strato Blue with a white vinyl sports roof.

I've seen the dark brown color (can't remember what Stude called it) with the white vinyl sports roof and it looks elegant too.

For me, GT's look best in dark colors so I'd probably pick a dark color with a white sports roof.

Rich, you mentioned Laguna Blue. I've not seen a '64 GT in that color, but I can picture it looking sharp with a black vinyl sports roof.
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
            Rich, you mentioned Laguna Blue. I've not seen a '64 GT in that color, but I can picture it looking sharp with a black vinyl sports roof.
            If you were in Colorado, you would have seen Marjorie Grauberger's '64 GT in that combination. http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=grauberger

Craig

Comment

Have always admired the 1963 Studebaker Rose Mist. Would look nice on a GT Hawk.
              Wonder if it was available on a 63 or 64 GT Hawk? Just thinking out loud here.
              sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
              Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
              "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
                Have always admired the 1963 Studebaker Rose Mist. Would look nice on a GT Hawk.
                Wonder if it was available on a 63 or 64 GT Hawk? Just thinking out loud here.
                Sure; Rose Mist was readily available on 1963 Hawks. I've seen quite a few of them. Not in 1964, however, since Rose Mist was discontinued at the end of the 1963 model year.

In fact, for the longest time there was a nice, original paint and Chestnut cloth (IIRC) interior 1963 Rose Mist Hawk with straight three speed (no overdrive!) for sale off and on around here. It may have traded hands by now as I have not seen it offered for awhile. It was an unusually nice, original car. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  OK these answers will be highly OPINIONATED!

My favorite is Blue all Vinyl Interior, Strato Blue Metallic Exterior with White Vinyl Sport Roof.
                  Number TWO choice would be Laguna Blue Metallic with same, same.

I could find nothing in the Dealers Showroom Book that mentions which if any Body Color limitations were on the availability of White or Black Vinyl roofs.

Since both White and Black are neutral colors that do not clash with any other Colors, I guess you could order either on whatever.
                  I just would not recommend Black on Black or White on White, no contrast, no beauty.
                  The '64 Paint & upholstery Studebaker book quotes " All - Vinyl Sport Roof optional on Hawk only and available in Black or White " whilst listing all the '64 paint colors with that option. I have the all blue interior with the Srato Blue paint. My car was assembled in RHC at South Bend just 4 days before they closed.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
                  MELBOURNE.

Comment

I'm going Super Red, black interior, black sport roof.
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

As to your question regarding paint....no all GT's were painted monotone, and no two tone options. Originally Brooks Stevens wanted the roof painted 1/2 silver, but that never happened from the factory.
                      Bez Auto Alchemy
                      573-318-8948
                      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

As Hawk64 noted above, it's in the 64 Paint & Upholstery book, not the dealer album.
                        Skip Lackie

Comment

i have that Stratoblue car and blue int. and white roof combo now. I of course love it. JP had a brown 64 that was stunning to look at. I never liked brown on cars until I saw it. Jet green would be a strong third choice. R
                          64 GT R1 4sp Hawk
                          Mohawk Trails Chapter SDC

Comment

At the 1963 Chicago Auto Show , Studebaker displayed a '63 Burgandy

painted GT Hawk that had satin black paint applied ahead of the line

on the roof . Brooks Stevens always said that he hoped some Dealers

would dress up a customers car in this manner . As for the '64 GT's ,

its hard to go past Strato Blue with or without a half vinyl roof .

CRUISER

Comment

Thanks everyone, I'm having a hard time deciding what combo I want. Wasn't there also a landau 1/2 vinyl?... I'm going start a new thread for people to post photos of some of these combinations.
                              Ron Dame
                              '63 Champ

Comment

Working...
                              X