X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIN number help

Hi,

I am looking to buy a 66 Wagonaire and was wandering if anyone can help me identify/confirm any details using the VIN number.

The VIN number CI32I56. I have been told that it is a 66 Wagonaire Daytona and that there were only limited numbers made. It has a 1966 production sticker on the windscreen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim.

About all a Stude VIN (in this case) will tell you is which car down the line you got...

The best source of info on a Stude is the small plate(s) under the hood, back left-hand corner as you face the car. Once you have those numbers post them here. They'll at least confirm/deny what you've already mentioned you know about the car. For much more then that you'll need to call the Museum in South Bend, Indiana and then fork over some $$$!!! [V]

Give this post a day or two, I'm sure someone will come up with the production numbers and tell you how many were built. There weren't many, I can tell you that!!! As you may already know, '66 was the last year of production.

StudeDave [8D]
    V/P San Diego County SDC
    San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
    '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
    '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
    '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
    '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
    '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

About all a Stude VIN (in this case) will tell you is which car down the line you got...

The best source of info on a Stude is the small plate(s) under the hood, back left-hand corner as you face the car. Once you have those numbers post them here. They'll at least confirm/deny what you've already mentioned you know about the car. For much more then that you'll need to call the Museum in South Bend, Indiana and then fork over some $$$!!! [V]

Give this post a day or two, I'm sure someone will come up with the production numbers and tell you how many were built. There weren't many, I can tell you that!!! As you may already know, '66 was the last year of production.

StudeDave [8D]
      V/P San Diego County SDC
      San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr 'Ruby'
      '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
      '57 Commander 2dr 'Baby'
      '57 Champion 2dr 'Jewel'
      '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
      '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Thanks, unfortunately the other numbers that you mentioned are not there. The little plate is missing on this car.

My dilema is that the car is not complete and needs a lot of work. The guy also has a '64 cruiser sedan that I can use for parts as that is beyond repair. I am trying to work out if it is worth my while or not. I have to battle with rust, panel work, dodgy repair work and more. The cars are going cheap but I do not want to spent so much time and money if they are not worth much. What do you people think ?

Comment

Thanks, unfortunately the other numbers that you mentioned are not there. The little plate is missing on this car.

My dilema is that the car is not complete and needs a lot of work. The guy also has a '64 cruiser sedan that I can use for parts as that is beyond repair. I am trying to work out if it is worth my while or not. I have to battle with rust, panel work, dodgy repair work and more. The cars are going cheap but I do not want to spent so much time and money if they are not worth much. What do you people think ?

Comment

All I can say is I'd much rather have a car with a good body and bad motor and the other way around. If you hire the body work done, it gets very expensive in a hurry and isn't much better if you do it yourself. For me anyway, engine rebuilds are pretty much straight forward while body work takes a lot more technique, finesse and grace. I'll put it this way, if you can dance like Gene Kelly, you'll probably be good at body work. If you instead punch like Mike Tyson, stick with the nuts and bolts stuff.

Comment

All I can say is I'd much rather have a car with a good body and bad motor and the other way around. If you hire the body work done, it gets very expensive in a hurry and isn't much better if you do it yourself. For me anyway, engine rebuilds are pretty much straight forward while body work takes a lot more technique, finesse and grace. I'll put it this way, if you can dance like Gene Kelly, you'll probably be good at body work. If you instead punch like Mike Tyson, stick with the nuts and bolts stuff.

Comment

Sounds like a car to walk away from unless you don't mind getting upside down moneywise in the car. You could invest more in body work and paint alone then the car would be worth. Buying a $500 car and spenting 10K to make it into a 6K car is not usually a good idea unless it's just labor of love. The missing VIN plate would kill the deal for me even if it was a nice car.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
                64 Daytona HT
                63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                63 GT Hawk
                63 Avanti R1/AC
                63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                63 Daytona HT
                63 Lark 2 dr.
                62 Lark 2 door
                60 Lark convert
                60 Hawk
                57 Silver Hawk
                53 Starliner
                51 Commander
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Sounds like a car to walk away from unless you don't mind getting upside down moneywise in the car. You could invest more in body work and paint alone then the car would be worth. Buying a $500 car and spenting 10K to make it into a 6K car is not usually a good idea unless it's just labor of love. The missing VIN plate would kill the deal for me even if it was a nice car.

Studebaker On The Net

Studebaker News Group

Arnold Md.
                  64 Daytona HT
                  63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                  63 GT Hawk
                  63 Avanti R1/AC
                  63 Avanti R2/4 speed
                  63 Daytona HT
                  63 Lark 2 dr.
                  62 Lark 2 door
                  60 Lark convert
                  60 Hawk
                  57 Silver Hawk
                  53 Starliner
                  51 Commander
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Ditto what John said...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                    Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                    LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Ditto what John said...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Tom - Lakeland, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona

Michigan Speed - www.michiganspeed.com
                      Club Hot Rod - www.clubhotrod.com
                      LS1 Tech - www.ls1tech.com
                      Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                      1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

On the other hand, none of us want to see any Studebaker go to scrap. If it's not worth restoring, the parts are worth aiding the resurrection of more worthy vehicles.

Brad Johnson
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        33 Rockne 10
                        51 Commander Starlight
                        53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

On the other hand, none of us want to see any Studebaker go to scrap. If it's not worth restoring, the parts are worth aiding the resurrection of more worthy vehicles.

Brad Johnson
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          33 Rockne 10
                          51 Commander Starlight
                          53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

I agree- where is the car anyway? [8D]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                            Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

quote:Originally posted by rockne10

I agree- where is the car anyway? [8D]

Robert K. Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
                              Parish, central NY 13131

Comment

Working...
                              X