Need a Tailgate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Tailgate

In Turning Wheels for February 2015, Vol. 47, No.2: On p. 38 is a story by Ron Starr, "1962 Champ Pickup." I have been trying to find a tailgate like the one on his truck for my Champ for 7 years. I have been able to find two, but so rusted at the bottom that I can.t re-construct them. Any one know of a gate like this in restorable condition?

Is Ron's (Delete) Ben's Tailgate somehow "Special"? All '62-'64 Dodge Type (Budd) P2 Styleside Wide Boxes get the same Tailgate, I don't think we should need to dig out a TW to tell what it is.

Your Truck was not special Ordered with the P1 Fenderside narrow Box was it?

UPDATE: OK, you made me look. Yes, you have the P1 Box so any '56 to '62 P1 Box, Tailgate should work.
    Try the Studebaker Swap Page.

I looked for you on the Main Home Page under "Resources", then "Other "Valuable Links", "More links of interest to Studebaker Enthusiasts" where the link to the Swap Page SHOULD be and found nothing, so a Link is lost in space or something, I looked in all the Logical places even a few not, but I can't find it.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-24-2015, 01:36 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by RSykes View Post
      In Turning Wheels for February 2015, Vol. 47, No.2: On p. 38 is a story by Ron Starr, "1962 Champ Pickup." I have been trying to find a tailgate like the one on his truck for my Champ for 7 years. I have been able to find two, but so rusted at the bottom that I can.t re-construct them. Any one know of a gate like this in restorable condition?
      Repros are available also. Classic Enteprises I think has one and a search here on the forum will help you locate another source. Steve
      sigpic

Comment

http://mack-products.com/products-pa...ker-tailgates/
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

The tailgate is not special. It's just that every time I try to describe what I'm after, no one seems to know what I'm talking about. I thought a photo might help. Finally, I was just hoping that someone would see the post and then, if someone knew where I could get one, they'd contact me. Didn't mean to get anyone's hackles up.

RES

Comment

No hackles up ....does your truck have outside fenders or is it a smooth sided box ?
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
              No hackles up ....does your truck have outside fenders or is it a smooth sided box ?
              Post # 2 clarifies that the OP does have a P1 Box per the TW Story.
              StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Post # 2 clarifies that the OP does have a P1 Box per the TW Story.
                Damn ....you can be annoying .....let him answer
                sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Please read the articular again and I think you will find out his name is Ben Starr and not Ron. I might have one left but shipping from California might cost some...Bob
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Smooth sided. No fenders. I have heard it referred to as a "big box," too.

Comment

Can you give me a total price with shipping?

Thanks,

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RSykes View Post
                        Smooth sided. No fenders. I have heard it referred to as a "big box," too.
                        Wait a minute, is it WITH Fenders like Ben Star's Truck in TW as you said, or is it NOT?

Smooth outside, with NO Fenders would be a Wide Box P2 bed.

Which IS it? Bob will not know which Tailgate to sell you with conflicting info.

Click image for larger version

Name:	60ChampBlue3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1695650 Narrow Box P1 Bed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	64 Champ Burgundy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	1695651 Wide Box, Styleside P2 Bed.
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 02-24-2015, 02:14 PM.
                        StudeRich

Comment

gosh, that's a pretty shade of blue! I would dearly love to have one of my Champs that colour. Heavens to Betsy, I'd love just to have a decent paint job on one of my Champs! LOL, that colour would look interesting with my Orange and white horse trailer.
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I have a near perfect Champ wide tail gate available for delivery to York or SB for $250.
                            www.studebakersite.com
                            Barry'd in Studes

Comment

Truck tailgate mistake

Apologies to all. I should listen to my wife. I just turned 69 years old. She tells me I am slipping every once in a while. She's right. The picture I referred to at the start of this thread on p. 38 of the Feb. 2015 Turning Wheels is NOT the tailate style I need. My truck bed has no fenders. It is a smooth side bed. I guess a picture would help, but I still can't figure out how to post a pic on the forum.

The second pic in StuderRich's answer above (maroon T-cab) shows the bed I have. The P2.

Comment

Working...
                              X