Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you tried the 12 volt Negative ground Power inverter (from Fifth avenue auto parts)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you tried the 12 volt Negative ground Power inverter (from Fifth avenue auto parts)

Says you can provide power to modern solid state accessories, So I'm guessing a 12 volt radio in a6 volt car. Five -amp constant regulated output.

The best ones are from this gentleman:

http://tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/Accessories.html

It's called the HPC-1 and has higher power output than the one Randy sells.

BTW, our cars are POSITIVE ground, so the inverter has to boost from 6 to 12 as well as reversing polarity. No simple task.
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 02-23-2015, 11:09 AM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Do they make anything to convert the lighter in my 50 Champion to 12 volt so I can plug in a GPS?

Comment

How many volts does your GPS need. My last gps need 5 volts. I bi-passed the "resister" and blew the GPS after I put 12 volts through it. Maybe you/we should be just looking for something to reduce the voltage to meet the GPS requirement.
        sigpic
        55 President Deluxe
        64 Commander
        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

The simple solution is to use the GPS power supply adapter that comes with the unit. I has the appropriate voltage regulator built in. You take the "inverter" and wire it between the six volt battery and a lighter style adapter (making sure to maintain correct polarity at that point). Then, when you plug in the GPS power supply, everything should work OK.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by stephenj View Post
            Do they make anything to convert the lighter in my 50 Champion to 12 volt so I can plug in a GPS?
            I bought an insulated lighter socket on ebay for a few dollars, then wired it to my 1950 Champion so the center contact is positive. I just lay the lighter socket on the carpet under the dash. My GPS works fine on 6 volts, as do most units.

Comment

"Smart phones" have made the need for a separate GPS unit unnecessary.
              Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

That's ok if you can afford $500 fine for using it when you are driving !

Comment

I was gonna say a guy over in the UK has a 48 to 50 dodge and has the lighter socket for the gps , so he just runs the 6 volt battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                    "Smart phones" have made the need for a separate GPS unit unnecessary.
                    Come on Gary, you know most Stude owners still use a rotary phone..

Kidding aside, a smart phone has to be charged, too.

Originally posted by stephenj View Post
                    That's ok if you can afford $500 fine for using it when you are driving !
                    ...Which is where a suction cup windshield mount comes in handy. They're made for most smart phones for just that reason.

Back when I did a lot of road trips to SDC national meets and such, I ditched my outdated GPS in favor of a windshield mount for my phone. Never looked back..

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                      Come on Gary, you know most Stude owners still use a rotary phone..

Kidding aside, a smart phone has to be charged, too.

...Which is where a suction cup windshield mount comes in handy. They're made for most smart phones for just that reason.

Back when I did a lot of road trips to SDC national meets and such, I ditched my outdated GPS in favor of a windshield mount for my phone. Never looked back..
                      Back in the early 1990's, I was in industrial sales and had a "car-phone" installed in my Nissan King Cab. At that time, the company I was representing, provided expense reimbursement for work related travel expenses, but not the phone. After my first serious vertigo attack, in which I had to be rescued from the side of the interstate, I realized how vital a cell phone could be. I had the phone removed and converted into what we used to call a "portable bag phone." so that I could carry it with me in any vehicle at all times.

The first time I used that "modern" contraption while driving a Studebaker, seemed surreal. It crossed my mind, that, for most folks, when that vehicle was brand new...the latest and greatest...paying over a buck a gallon for gas, and driving down the road talking on the "phone"...inconceivable.

I still have that "bag phone" somewhere, (now it looks like a leather clad brick), and I'm waaaay out dated as far as phones go. Back in 2005, I wanted a tough phone that could stand up to the beating and abuse I'm capable of. That's about the time I bought the water proof phone I still have. Original battery, and still holding a charge for days. Verizon is constantly sending me reminders of all the "points" I have, and encouraging me to "upgrade." The only problem is, I have not seen a way to "upgrade" without doubling my phone bill.

Such is the fears of a CASO. Somehow, I think I know how a fugitive feels, when he gets lonely, cold, hungry, and tired of running.

Sooner or later, I'll have to "turn myself in"...and (GULP)...UPGRADE!
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Here's a link to Antique Auto Radio. They offer small inverter systems that can be used in 6 volt, positive ground cars to provide 12 volts, negative ground output to run a GPS or charge a cell phone. Max. current is 2.2 amps at 12 volts. It's not enough to drive a monster audio system, but it will do the job for the small stuff. It's also small enough to hide behind the dash and wire up to the lighter socket.

http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com/productsF.htm
                        Gary Ash
                        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                        '48 M5
                        '65 Wagonaire Commander
                        '63 Wagonaire Standard
                        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by garyash View Post
                          Here's a link to Antique Auto Radio. They offer small inverter systems that can be used in 6 volt, positive ground cars to provide 12 volts, negative ground output to run a GPS or charge a cell phone. Max. current is 2.2 amps at 12 volts. It's not enough to drive a monster audio system, but it will do the job for the small stuff. It's also small enough to hide behind the dash and wire up to the lighter socket.

http://www.antiqueautomobileradio.com/productsF.htm
                          I was just at my buddy's shop, and he was showing me the one in your link. He bought it to install a modern radio in his '38 Commander. I'll have to remember to update everyone on how it works out whenever he gets around to doing that job.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
                            The best ones are from this gentleman:

http://tech-retro.com/Aurora_Design/Accessories.html

It's called the HPC-1 and has higher power output than the one Randy sells.

BTW, our cars are POSITIVE ground, so the inverter has to boost from 6 to 12 as well as reversing polarity. No simple task.
                            Must I repeat myself? The one in my link is more powerful.
                            RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                            10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                            10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                            4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                            5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                            56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                            60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
                            X